Author Topic: An introduction  (Read 686 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
An introduction
« on: July 05, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »
Hey there, this is going to be a long, detailed introduction.

My name is Sam. I live in Brooklyn, NY, a.k.a. where Bill Corbett grew up. This is how I got to get into MST3K, RiffTrax, and riffing.

Twenty or so years ago, I flipped the channels when I got cable onto Comedy Central, and there was a movie playing. However, the only difference being was that there was a shadow of a man and two robotic birds talking during the movie. I didn't understand it at all. I found out the show was called "Mystery Science Theater 3000". I asked my dad what the show was about, and he dismissed it by saying "Oh, it's just people saying stupid things during a movie". I then hear about the show's cancellation, then resurrection on what was then the Sci-Fi channel, then series finale.

Cut to two decades later: I hear that there's this thing called "Rifftrax" wherein some of the same guys behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 are saying stupid things about movies yet again! But this time, it's different: Not only do they not have a plot (which I missed), but they say these stupid things on movies to which they didn't acquire the rights! It's pretty amazing how they were able to do that through the good ol' Wizard-of-Oz/Dark-side-of-the-moon loophole! But I wasn't a fan just yet…

I eventually became a fan of John Hodgman and Jonathan Coulton, and eventually went on JoCoCruiseCrazy 2, 3, and 4. On JoCoCruiseCrazy 3, I was able to meet 2/3 of the Rifftrax team, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy. As proof of this, I'll show you a pic of Kevin Murphy as the Most Interesting Man in the World:

See? On that cruise, they had riffed "At Your Fingertips: Cylinders" with John Hodgman standing in for Mike. I loved the short if only for the riff "Bite my shiny cardboard ass!" (I <3 Futurama). I bought it from Rifftrax.com as soon as it was available.

Cut to four years later. Paul and Storm, a comedic musical duo who are regulars on all JoCoCruiseCrazys and openers at many Jonathan Coulton shows, were opening for Joel Hodgson, creator of MST3K and one other guy at a venue in Brooklyn called The Bell House. I was there for Paul and Storm, but I stayed for Joel Hodgson. Joel went through how he went through ventriloquist training and rejected 99% of the dolls in the ventriloquist dummy catalog because they were nightmare fuel, but settled on one normal-ish looking one which he figured out later was the basis for Tom Servo. I even got to meet him afterwards! I asked him if he remembers the movie where he riffed "…a word from our sponsor" after someone on the screen said "And Now…". Joel said that he had done so many riffs he couldn't remember them all (oh, and that episode was "Santa Claus" and it was a Mike episode. Oops.). I also asked him why the show was in space? That is, why was the show situated in space and not in an ancient Aztec pyramid in the past or a friend's garage so you wouldn't have to worry about the cognitive dissonance of eating, breathing and other science facts? He replied that an Aztec pyramid would probably be invaded by Aztecs (or conquistadores) and a garage would have many other people interrupting them, such as other friends, the friend's mom, cops, etc. So the only option was to situate the show in space.

Then a month later, Joel announced that he was bringing back Mystery Science Theater 3000 and he wanted the fans to foot the bill. Which I gladly helped. And he's doing a wonderful job at it IMHO. And then Rifftrax Live announced that they were having a MST3K reunion show. I didn't back the Kickstarter because I couldn't be in Minnesota at the time. However, I did see it at a theater in NYC. And I thought it was hilarious! Not only that, but it served two important functions: A) It proved that there's no bad blood between the "factions" (or at least none were shown), and B) it established Jonah Ray Rodrigues as a worthy successor to Joel and Mike (at least I think so).

In fact, I thought so highly of the show that I'm going again. Well, actually, Fandango was having problems when I bought my ticket for June 28 the first time, so I bought a ticket for July 12 for the second time. If my receipt for June 28 works, July 12 will be an encore. If it doesn't, July 12 will be the first time. You know that I saw it on June 28, so I can't wait to see it again on July 12!

Cheers to Rifftrax and the MST3K revival!

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: An introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
Welcome aboard, friend.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: An introduction
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 04:54:33 AM »

I don't always play a robotic bird. But when I do I cry a lot.