login

Author Topic: mst3k on g4  (Read 2795 times)

Offline hoodleehoo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
mst3k on g4
« on: April 22, 2007, 10:41:12 AM »
Hopefully I'm not commiting a major no-no by mentioning mst on here. But, I was wondering what the possibility of showing reruns of the show on G4? It seems like a perfect match since G4 fans are or would be big MST fans. If G4 had been around back then like it is now the show would most definitely have continued on moving to that network.

Anywhoo, I know with movie rights and all that it's difficult but there should be enough in 10 seasons to show reruns surely. With the inevitable huge fan reaction I'm sure they'd find it worthwhile to get the rights of non-p.o.ed movies. They've picked up Arrested Development and are having much success with it. They also show reruns of Cops and Cheaters (why?).

Just curious. Is there something we could do to get wheels in motion?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: mst3k on g4
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 10:45:39 AM »
It would be awesome but trying to get any network to commit to a 2 hour program? In this day and age? I don't know about that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:23:32 AM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
I still think scifi seems like the perfect channel for it. All they have to do is drop Python 7 or one of their other twelve-times-rerun original pictures. Heck, they put on miniseries in  blocks. They have nothing but space to burn. WHY?! WHY DID YOU DROP MST3K?! T_T
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 12:15:32 PM »
G4 already shows a lot of hour or two long blocks of tv shows, doubt they'd have much trouble showing an MST3K episode every so often in the morning or late at night if they didn't mind dealing with the rights

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
Unfortunately the rights issues go far beyond that. The real question is, does the person who currently owns the rights to the MST show want to pursue possible re-syndication? Which would also entail renegotiating broadcast rights to those movies, as well.

It's highly unlikely - not impossible, but not something any of us foresee in the near future.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:33:21 PM »
as long as DAP releases keep coming on myspleen I think most of us will survive

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »
In the meantime, enjoy some Rifftrax. It's not MST3K 2.0, but it is something that utilizes the same people to perform the same task in a brand new advanced format. :^)

Offline hoodleehoo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
Who owns the rights to the show?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »
Best Brains owns the show, the the film rights are owned by lots of companies.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 12:23:06 AM »
It's a bigger quagmire than the Adam West Batman show.

Every episode of Friends, however, is widely available on DVD. >:(

Offline hoodleehoo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
mst3k coming to G4? Please read!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 04:43:15 AM »
I've posted the idea to G4 fans via online forums etc to see what their response would be to them showing reruns of MST3k and the response has been incredible! G4 fans are the exact same kind of fans as MSTies. For those who are not familiar with G4 it is a gaming/geek channel for people with everything from video games to anime to anything of interest to those fans. They picked up Arrested Development and have been really successful with it. And their programming runs the gambit of everything from Star Trek reruns to shows about zombies. Many of their shows have obviously been inspired by MST3k. They wouldn't blink twice about putting a 2 hour show on their network if they felt the fans wanted it. They are pretty outside the box and are looking for better programming as there has been some turmoil over some of the programming decisions as of late.

For those hesitant about supporting a move like that because you don't have the channel, it is the fastest growing channel on TV (seriously statistically it is) and if you don't have it now you will soon be getting it!

Anywhoo, I contacted the programming director. Here is her email address: lciviello@g4media.com Her name is Laura Civiello. I highly suggest emailing her and suggesting at LEAST doing a little research to see what the fan response would be! I know there are doubters, but I'm telling you there is a great possibility here of something happening!!! Even if reruns prove to be too hard (which I don't think they would if they want it bad enough) it is very possible they might look into a brand new kind of show with BBI!

Nothing to lose right???

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: mst3k coming to G4? Please read!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 07:21:35 AM »
title's a bit misleading

Offline Zealotlee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 08:21:37 AM »
Honestly, I can't stand G4.  It's gotten so crappy in the recent times, even the one good show left on there (X-Play) has gotten watered down and crappy.

It would be nice if MST3K could go on G4, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that there would be a lot of issues with rights and certain episodes couldn't be shown.  And I think G4 wouldn't want to go through the effort just to get one show back.

Offline hoodleehoo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
It's okay to think it probably won't happen. But why not try? It's the best chance of getting MST3k back on the air OR something new like The Film Crew for an actual audience of people that will like it!!!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »
I thought I'd already responded to this in another thread? It's all about rights issues. Mike and the guys have nothing to do with the show in its current state - Best Brains, Inc. does. The only way the show would be resurrected is if they sold or gave up the rights to it.

Now, as for a new show, that would be cool - but again, there are problems involved, including the incredible amount of time it takes, as well as cost issues. The beauty of RiffTrax is we don't have any of that overhead. We can just create the product and distribute it online. I don't see Mike and the guys going back to television (outside of a writing position) anytime soon.

EDIT: Merged this with the topic you already created, Hoodlehoo.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:27:53 PM by torgosPizza »