Author Topic: List of Crap: Top 50 Film Series Countdown!  (Read 16464 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4968
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap: Top 50 Film Series Countdown!
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 07:22:07 AM »
Rurouni Kenshin

First Film – Rurouni Kenshin - 2012
Most Recent –  Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends  -  2014

24 Points, 1 List, #2 Psycho Goatee

What Is It?
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story also known as Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Nobuhiro Watsuki. The story begins during the 11th year of the Meiji period in Japan and follows a former assassin from the Bakumatsu, known as Hitokiri Battosai. After his work against the bakufu, Hitokiri Battosai disappears to become Himura Kenshin: a wandering samurai who protects the people of Japan with a vow of never to take another life. Watsuki wrote this series upon his desire of making a shōnen manga different from the other ones that were published at the time, with Kenshin being a former assassin and the story taking a more serious tone as it continued. The manga revolves around themes of atonement, peace, and romance.

On June 28, 2011, a live-action film adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin was announced. Produced by Warner Bros., with actual film production done by Studio Swan, the film was directed by Keishi Ōtomo and stars Takeru Satoh (of Kamen Rider Den-O fame) as Kenshin, Munetaka Aoki as Sanosuke Sagara and Emi Takei as Kaoru. The film was released on August 25, 2012 in Japan. In August 2013, it was announced that two sequels were being filmed simultaneously for release in 2014. Kyoto Inferno and The Legend Ends adapt the Kyoto arc of the manga.

High Point
I don’t know, I haven’t seen them.

Low Point
None, I assume, since they all had pretty positive reviews

Where could we go next?
Well, they could do the Jinchu arc, in which a criminal looks for retribution against our heroes past sins but it sounds like they might have ended it with the last film.  But adapting older manga into handsome-looking anime is in vogue (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Ushio & Tora, Sailor Moon Crystal) these days, so maybe a new TV series without any filler.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »
Die Hard

First Film – Die Hard - 1988
Most Recent –  A Good Day to Die Hard  -  2013

24 Points, 2 List, #15 Cole Stratton

What Is It?
The Die Hard series is an American action movie franchise that began in 1988 with Die Hard, based on the 1979 novel Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp. The franchise follows the adventures of John McClane (portrayed by Bruce Willis), a New York City and Los Angeles police detective who continually finds himself in the middle of violent crises and intrigues where he is the only hope against disaster.

High Point
Die Hard.  That’s a hard one to beat.

Low Point
A Good Day to Die Hard.  Bruce Willis just doesn’t care anymore, does he?  Also, at this point John McClane is an unstoppable force, which is antithetical to the first film.

Where could we go next?
Bruce Willis said the next one is going to be the last, so it should be made to count.  I think Shane Black should be the writer/director for this one, as he knows just how to balance action and humor in a style appropriate to a 1980’s action film (the man made Lethal Weapon).  I also think it needs to be a little more intimate and claustrophobic like the first one.  You can’t put the “ultimate badass” genie completely back in the bottle but at least you can make it that he isn’t in a position to just blow everyone away and that he’s mortal (Willis looking old helps…)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 122
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »

Where could we go next?
Well, they could do the Jinchu arc, in which a criminal looks for retribution against our heroes past sins but it sounds like they might have ended it with the last film.  But adapting older manga into handsome-looking anime is in vogue (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Ushio & Tora, Sailor Moon Crystal) these days, so maybe a new TV series without any filler.

That would be glorious.

I also totally forgot about the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, and I don't think I've even heard of the name, I'm slacking on my Edgar Wright interviews I think. But that'd definitely be on my list.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4309
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
As far as Tremors goes, any one past #2 could be considered a low point.

#3 adds a new, stupidly named type, that's kinda odd even for graboid biology.  It's also a pilot movie for the Syfy series, so you've got Syfy channel level cgi and goofiness.  You also got a character death that could've been handled better and the whole "tourist trap" scene at the beginning is kinda dumb.

#4 has the practical graboid effects return.  Although Michael Gross returns, his character is completely opposite the Gummer he usually plays and takes too long to get interesting.  Also, there's kind of a continuity error here involving when the town was founded.  Also, the "leaping graboid" effect looks more goofy than they probably intended.  On the plus side, you've got Billy Drago playing an Old West bounty hunter, who isn't in the movie long enough.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
#43A
Three Flavours Cornetto (AKA Blood and Ice Cream)

I wish I had thought of this. I own all three movies after all.

I agree that Hot Fuzz is the best, but being an alcoholic myself, I have to say that The World's End is my favorite.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
Zatoichi

First Film – The Tale of Zatoichi - 1962
Most Recent –  Zatoichi: The Last-  2010

25 Points, 1 List, #1 Stethacantus

What Is It?
Zatoichi is a fictional character featured in one of Japan's longest running series of films and a television series that are both set during the late Edo period (1830s and 1840s). The character, a blind masseur and blademaster, was created by novelist Kan Shimozawa.
This originally minor character was developed for the screen by Daiei Studios (now Kadokawa Pictures) and actor Shintaro Katsu, who created the screen version. A total of 26 films were made from 1962 to 1989. From 1974 to 1979, the television series Zatoichi was produced, starring Katsu and some of the same stars that appeared in the films. These were produced by Katsu Productions. One hundred episodes, with episodes 99 and 100 being a two-part story finale, were aired before the Zatoichi television series was cancelled.

Zatoichi at first comes across as a harmless blind anma (masseur) and bakuto (gambler) who wanders the land, making his living by chō-han (playing dice) as well as giving massages, performing acupuncture and even, on occasion, singing and playing music. Secretly, however, he is very highly skilled in swordsmanship, specifically Muraku-school kenjutsu and iaido along with the more general sword skills of Japan, as well as Sumo wrestling and kyujutsu.

Little of his past is revealed, other than that he lost his sight as a child through an illness. His father disappeared for undisclosed reasons when Zatoichi was about five years old. He is described by his kendo instructor as having practiced constantly and with extreme devotion when he was a pupil in order to develop his incredible swordsmanship. Zatoichi says of himself that he became a yakuza (gangster) during those three years he spent training (which immediately precede the original The Tale of Zatoichi) and killed many people, something he later came to deeply regret. This is reflected in his willingness to involve himself in the affairs of others—chiefly, those suffering from oppression/exploitation, or some form of corruption. Despite that moral re-assessment and his new perspective and remorse (and most often because of them), he usually has a bounty (sometimes quite large) on his head from one source or another throughout the movies and series. However, because of his earnestness, wit, and natural sense of empathy, many people who encounter him during his travels grow to respect and even care for him.

High Point
I don’t know.  I only saw Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, which I enjoyed.

Low Point
Again, I don’t know which of the films are considered the weaker ones.

Where could we go next?
I’m not sure.  I don’t know enough modern Japanese film makers apart from Takehashi Miike (who could probably do a good job).  Maybe a cool, weird animated version by Masaaki Yuasa, the auteur behind cool series like the sad, sci-fi fairy tale Kaiba, the sports drama Ping Pong and that one educational yet dark episode of Adventure Time called “Food Chain”.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »

I agree that Hot Fuzz is the best, but being an alcoholic myself, I have to say that The World's End is my favorite.

Yeah, I feel that's when the movie is at it's strongest.  I just feel it's a little weak in the sci-fi department (which starts good, but the threat just doesn't work for me).

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »

The Godfather

First Film – The Godfather - 1972
Most Recent –  The Godfather Part III -  1990

26 Points, 2 Lists, #11 CJones

What Is It?
The Godfather film series consists of three crime films directed by Francis Ford Coppola inspired by the novel of the same name by Italian American author Mario Puzo. The series follows the trials of the Corleone family, Italian Americans whose patriarch, Vito Corleone, rises to be a major figure in American organized crime. His youngest son, Michael Corleone, becomes his successor. All three films were distributed by Paramount Pictures and released in 1972, 1974 and 1990. The series achieved success at the box office, with the films earning over $550 million worldwide. The first two films have received wide acclaim since release; the former, The Godfather, is seen by many as one of the greatest films of all time. Its sequel, The Godfather Part II, is viewed by many as the best sequel in cinematic history. The series is heavily awarded, winning 9 out of 29 total Academy Award nominations.

High Point
People argue a lot about whether the first or second is the superior film but both are definitely great.  I only seen the first so I can’t answer that questions

Low Point
Part III is considered to be a huge embarrassment to the franchise.

Where could we go next?
I don’t want to see the further adventures of Michael Corleone, but I feel like there are some minor characters who could support their own films.  Maybe a Five Families epic.  I really want to know more about Barzini.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 478
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »
I think out of the trilogy... the first Godfather is the best one. I really liked Marlon Brando as Don Corleone. He was pretty damned amazing in every scene he was in. He was likeable, respectable, but when he wanted to be intimidating... he could be it. For everything great about Godfather 2, I really missed Clemenza and Abe Vigoda as Tessio. The supporting cast of Godfather I, especially Robert Duvall, James Caan, Richard Conte, Richard Castellano and Abe Vigoda really cements this one as an instant classic. It's not often that films get just about everything absolutely right and there's not one seam in the framework, but Godfather(I and II anyway) got everything all right.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »

Gamera

First Film – Gamera - 1965
Most Recent –  Gamera the Brave -  2006

26 Points, 3 Lists, #4 Stethacantus

What Is It?
Gamera is a giant monster or daikaiju originating from a series of Japanese tokusatsu films of the same name. He first appeared in Daiei Film's 1965 film Gamera, which was initially produced to rival the success of Toho's Godzilla, however, Gamera has gained fame and notoriety as a Japanese icon in his own right. The character has appeared in other media such as comic books and video games. In the United States, Gamera attained prominence during the 1970s due to the burgeoning popularity of UHF television stations featuring Saturday afternoon matinee showcases like Creature Double Feature and later in the 1990s when several Gamera films were featured on the TV show Mystery Science Theater 3000.

High Point
The Heisei films of the 90’s are highly regarded by fans.

Low Point
Gamera vs. Barugon is a complete snooze and isn’t as delightfully ludicrous as some of the other entries of the series.

Where could we go next?
There was word of a CGI Gamera movie, but seeing as the new Godzilla is going grim for the next Japanese film (how grim?  The creators of Evangelion are doing it), it might be smart to counter program with a relatively light-hearted kaiju movie with classic practical effects. Perhaps Hitoshi Matsumoto, comedy director of Big Man Japan could do it.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 478
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 08:59:12 PM »
I wonder what Francis Ford Coppola would have to say about this.  :o

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
I wonder what Francis Ford Coppola would have to say about this.  :o

"I shouldn't have made Godfather Part III."

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:47 PM »
Zatoichi

High Point
I don’t know.  I only saw Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, which I enjoyed.

Back in the early 80s, martial arts film historian Ric Meyers compiled his list for the ten greatest martial arts movies ever made. The one Zatoichi movie on that list was Zatoichi's Cane Sword ( 1967 ) ( a.k.a. Zatoichi #15 ). That was Ric Meyers pick for the best Zatoichi movie. But a lot of fans of the series claim Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman ( 1970 ) ( a.k.a. Zatoichi #22 ) to be the best. I myself cant say that there is any one film in the series that could be called the best. The entire series of 26 films maintained a perfect quality, which is why I ultimately chose the series as my #1 pick.

Low Point
Again, I don’t know which of the films are considered the weaker ones.

The weakest of the original canonized Zatoichi films is #26, which is called simply Zatoichi, but is also known as Zatoichi '89 and Zatoichi: Darkness Is His Ally on it's North American DVD release. While still a very good film, it had been ten years since the television series and 16 years since the last movie. This revival movie mostly rehashed moments from the past movies, resulting in a Zatoichi film that was more formula than original. However, if you were to choose a Zatoichi film that is not among the canonized 26, then that would be the Taiwanese produced Golden Sword and the Blind Swordswomen ( 1970 ) which for decades was released on home video with the title Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman. Here is what the back of the box on the Ocean Shores home video release says:
If you like SHOGUN ASSASSIN, then you'll love Zatoichi!
Zatoichi ( meaning "masseuse" ichi ) is the legendary blind swordsman of Japan --

a humble, wandering gambler, massage expert, and scourge of crime bosses in the perverse, corrupt samurai society of the 1600s.
He may seem pathetic on first glance, but don't get him mad!
Then his incredible cane sword will open and dozens will die in Zatoichi's dance of death!

Zatoichi is one of the most famous movie characters in all the world. See why in these fascinating and thrilling stories

Nice summary of Zatoichi. Only one problem. Zatoichi is not in the movie at all. Ocean Shores removed the original movie title and replaced it with the title Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman. There are two blind swordswomen who were undoubtedly modled after Katsu's Zatoichi, but otherwise this movie has nothing to do with the Zatoichi films. Never the less, for years people have been tricked into renting or buying this movie, and were confused as to why Zatoichi wasn't even in it.

Gamera

26 Points, 3 Lists, #4 Stethacantus

Low Point
Gamera vs. Barugon is a complete snooze and isn’t as delightfully ludicrous as some of the other entries of the series.

I will have to strongly disagree. First of all, Gamera vs. Barugon is perhaps the best of the original Gamera movies. Maybe not as fun as the movies that followed, but that is because this was the only film in the original series made strictly for adults. There is no question as to what the worst Gamera movie of all time was Gamera: Super Monster ( 1980 ) Don't believe me? Here it is. See how far you can get before shutting it off.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VfICjylhV60" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VfICjylhV60</a>

If you actually got far enough into the movie, you may have noticed that all of the Gamera fights look familiar. That's because this is actually a clip movie. All of the Gamera footage is from previous Gamera films.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »

If you actually got far enough into the movie, you may have noticed that all of the Gamera fights look familiar. That's because this is actually a clip movie. All of the Gamera footage is from previous Gamera films.

Intererstingly, this is not the last time this will come up.  But thank's for the info on Super  Monster.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2016, 06:30:24 AM »
National Lampoon’s Vacation

First Film – National Lampoon’s Vacation - 1983
Most Recent –  Vacation -  2015

27 Points, 2 Lists, #10 Cole Stratton

What Is It?
National Lampoon's Vacation, sometimes referred to as Vacation, is a 1983 American comedy film directed by Harold Ramis and starring Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Randy Quaid, Dana Barron, and Anthony Michael Hall. John Candy, Imogene Coca, Christie Brinkley, and a young Jane Krakowski appear in supporting roles. The screenplay was written by John Hughes, based on his short story "Vacation '58" which appeared in National Lampoon.

The film was a box-office hit, earning more than $60 million in the US with an estimated budget of $15 million, and received widespread acclaim from critics. As a result of its success, four sequels have been produced over the last three decades: European Vacation (1985), Christmas Vacation (1989), Vegas Vacation (1997), and most recently, Vacation (2015) which serves as both a reboot and a continuation. In 2000, readers of Total Film voted it the 46th greatest comedy film of all time. It is widely regarded as the best National Lampoon film, and in August 2015 was listed as the best film in the Vacation film series by Daniel Cohen. It continues to be a cult film and a staple on cable television.

High Point
The first one, though there is a LOT of love for Christmas Vacation

Low Point
I think there are some Uncle Eddie made for TV movies that were worth forgetting existed.

Where could we go next?
Ed Helms and Christina Applegate were great leads but the film they were in was not so good.  Maybe keep the cast and get some better writers/directors.