login

Author Topic: STAR WARS Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)  (Read 17537 times)

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 15
Re: STAR WARS Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2019, 11:50:36 PM »
I'd guess that's because TLJ wasn't going to be there at launch. (They add it to the service in a few weeks. Just in time for the new one to come out. Gotta rake in that Blu-ray money.)

If this is directed to me, I have to assume you thought I was talking about something promoting disney+, but I meant this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3n1T3HxHd7Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3n1T3HxHd7Y</a>

That is marketing material specifically promoting Rise of Skywalker, and featuring a highlight reel of past Star Wars moments with so little TLJ that it feels like a message to the fans (one which, again, I don't trust).

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 850
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »
You know, I've had to dial back arguing with people that hate The Last Jedi. If I spent time arguing with everyone who hated the last Jedi, it would be a full time job mostly because in my experience the more people hate something, the less likely they ever are to concede to anything. I understand that, because sometimes I too am unwilling to concede when it comes to the things I love, because some things I will defend to my dying breath(The Last Jedi, Captain Marvel, and Avengers Endgame). Freedom of speech is a great privilege, but more and more lately I'm wondering whether or not I'm just wasting my time when I get in an argument with random troll 565 about how great I think The Last Jedi is.

I have heard some very positive things from the first cast screening of The Rise of Skywalker... which I understand is something that should still be treated with a grain of salt because... if I was ever in a movie, I'd probably say I loved it, even if it sucked because I'd just be so stoked that I was actually in a fucking movie. Nevertheless, I am at least willing to consider the possibility that the Rise of Skywalker could be really, really great.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »
Attention:

NO SPOILERS HERE

The Skywalker saga is drawing to a close, and while the quality of these latest entries has been the source of a lot of spirited debate, I think we can all agree that we need to be extra cautious with the spoilers on this one. As with Avengers: Endgame earlier this year, I've set up a special spoiler thread for Rise of Skywalker here: http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=35000.0 . Please go there to discuss any spoilers. This thread will stay open for anticipatory discussion, other news related to the new movie, and other on-topic, non-spoilery miscellany.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
Apparently Disney is saying people should be caught up with The Mandalorian before watching Rise of Skywalker.  It could be a ploy to get more subscribers, I guess we will find out.

I've been avoiding spoilers for both, and was planning on waiting until the last episode of Mandalorian is out before starting to watch it, but I guess I'll start watching that now, I won't be seeing ROS until next week since all the showings around me are already filled up until mid week.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
i haven't seen the new movie yet, but i can't imagine how mando would be at all important to it.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4869
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2019, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5910
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
"I have an eidactic memory, jerk!"

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 555
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
There are some absolutely dismal reviews out there so far.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #233 on: December 18, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
I just want it to be better than Attack of the Clones.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 555
« Reply #234 on: December 18, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
Yeah, I'll still see it. Probably Sunday morning.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #235 on: December 18, 2019, 08:35:12 PM »
I am a little depressed by all the "bad" reviews, but so far I think I am fine with it all mostly because none of the reviews I have seen have called the movie bad, or some variant/synonym thereof. I think I'm going to like it, and once again I will pretend our forum's Andrea... Anais Butterfly is there with me and my friends watching the movie.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
i haven't seen the new movie yet, but i can't imagine how mando would be at all important to it.

yeah, unless i missed something, there's no reason that the show is required viewing for the film.

decent movie, but somewhat underwhelming finale to nine movies.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 184
« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »

yeah, unless i missed something, there's no reason that the show is required viewing for the film.

decent movie, but somewhat underwhelming finale to nine movies.

Disagree!  Great sendoff.  Best of the six.  I won't read any movie critic on this one.  Star Wars is special to me and I'm very satisfied.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
I freaking loved the rise of Skywalker. In a word it was beautiful, but not in an artificial or superficial way, in a meaningful, emotional way that will stick with you the rest of your life.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2019, 07:22:23 AM »