Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1664360 times)

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19320 on: May 24, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
Well, I was supposed to get a shipment of movies I ordered from Amazon a couple of months ago by  this past Wednesday the latest. But then I sent that used Monty Python set back to the third party seller Amazon used as fulfilment and reordered the set, this time directly from Amazon who claimed it was back in stock. But then they split my back order up so half would arrive with the Python replacement set, and the other half by Wednesday, then combined the entire order so that they will now arrive in the same box next Friday! That is assuming they don't all get stuck in some USPS facility for another month during delivery. I did get one film from a  third party seller weeks ago, but it is a sequel to a film Amazon has not yet delivered! So basically this is another week where I will be watching nothing but films from my library.

This weekend I decided to go by theme.  Beach movies.

Noon every Saturday I have pancake brunch while watching one of the MST3K episodes ( or a Rifftrax movie, Cinema Titanic episodes or Film Crew episode ).  So this week was Horror of Party Beach ( 1964 )
I went right into the weekly Martial Arts film, Beach of the War Gods ( 1973 )
Then right into Jaws ( 1975 ). I could not but help noticing the parallels between Mayor Vaughn, who doesn't want the beaches closed because it will ruin the economy, and denies there is even a shark problem, and Trump, denying the pandemic is as bad as it is and not wanting the country closed down. Jaws is still a great film, despite the fact I know when every scare is going to happen, which characters are at risk, and which ones aren't. The great thing about this film is two thirds of it take place during the hunt for the shark, so even though the horror movie part of the film has dated, it leads into a great adventure film that hasn't dated.
Next up, Spring Breakers ( 2013). It is not actually much of a beach film, and had I known I was doing this theme in advance, I may have watched this weeks ago and watched Blue Crush this week instead. I mean. the lead characters are in a beach resort town, so it sort of counts. Anyway, great movie that gets better every time I see it.
Finally, something I haven't actually in nearly a decade, and as far as I know never reviewed here.. Went To Coney Island On A Mission From God... Be Back By Five ( ( 2007). It wasn't until I was about to watch this film that I began to wonder why I hadn't done a Coney Island themed marathon instead. I actually have a bunch of Coney Island films, including Little Fugitive ( 1953 ), Speedy ( 1928 ), The Warriors ( 1979 ), A.I. ( 2001 ), Ric Burn's Coney Island ( 1991 ) and a 1943 Betty Grable musical called Coney Island. This film was an odd choice for a beach film as it takes place in the winter. It was basically a passion project for actor Jon Cryer, which he partnered up with director Richard Scherkman to make this low budget independent film. Scherkman's most prominent film, other than this, was Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies ( 2012 ), which was an Asylum direct to video mockbuster of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter made the same year. It is supposedly based on a real event Cryer had when he went down to Coney Island one day to investigate reports of one of his old friends had become homeless and was living under the Coney Island boardwalk. Although in this fictionalized version, Cryer plays a pawn shop clerk called Daniel. He heads down to Coney Island with another of his old friends, Stan, who is an alcoholic and gambling addict who owes the town bookie a lot of money, although that is all settled by the final reel as finding out their old friend is crazy somehow becomes incentive for Stan to straighten out his own life and marry his long time girlfriend. The plot is pretty thin, and most of the film is Daniel and Stan meeting different eccentric characters living and working in Coney Island. It has that unmistakable look and feel of a low budget film, with most of the actors contributing minor roles. For example, Ione Skye who's brief scenes combined could have easily been shot in a single day. I am pretty sure she and the other notable actors in this film only did it as a favor for Cryer, but only agreed to a few hours of work each. But as low budget as it is, I sort of enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as Spring Breakers or Jaws, but enough that I felt moved during it's ending, despite it being a bit forced and formulaic. Perhaps the best reason to watch this film is to see Coney Island prior to the hammer crashing down and most of the old Coney Island obliterated. The Thunderbolt Coaster is still standing. When this film was shot, there were still plans to restore it and open it, but instead Rudolf Giuliani ordered it torn down at the request of the Wilpons, who Giuliani had already built them their minor league stadium for the Met's farm league team, The Coney Island Cyclones at the tax payers expense. The site the stadium and it's parking lot went on was supposed to have been used to rebuild Steeplechase Park. Ground had been broken for the theme park in the 80s, but construction was being held up by a group of state senators who promised the site to Sportsplex. When Giuliani got into office, he broke the stalemate by first promising the site to Sportsplex and cancelling the 100 year lease the developer of Steeplechase Park had on the site, then around the time this film was being made, double crossed the state senate and used the site to build the stadium. Not a bad deal for the Wilpons. For a 10 million contribution to the Giuliani campaign, they got a $60 million stadium built for them, and a 100 year lease on the land which gave them Coney Island's biggest parking lot concession, all which earn the family about $100 million a season. The kicker was the Wilpons being against the Thunderbolt Coaster, which was right next to their stadium, being reactivated. So Giuliani had a minion of his, who he had given a high post in the building inspectors office, looked at it from the boardwalk and declared it unsafe, ordering it torn down immediately. The demolition crew and police were at the site within minutes. The coaster which was supposedly unsafe and about to collapse took days to tear down. When the owner sued the city, a judge ruled the demolition illegal and an abuse of power by Giuliani.  Other landmarks preserved on film in this movie include the Astro-Tower which met a similar abuse of power fate. It was ordered torn down by Bloomberg, most likely because it was eligible for landmark status a few months later. The Astro-Tower was torn down after an anonymous caller  to the buildings inspectors office claimed to have witnessed it swaying in the wind. None of the other million visitors to Coney Island that day saw the tower swaying. Never the less, Bloomberg ordered the amusement district evacuated, and had the tower not only demolished, but its sections taken immediately to a scraping company that had them crushed into metal cubes so it could never be reassembled. Not only is the Astro-tower still standing in this film, but it's spooky whistling sound is preserved. Every winter the wind would hit it at the exact angle that would cause it to make an odd moaning sound, which it rarely made at any other time of the year. Another thing Bloomberg got rid of was the underneath part of the boardwalk, which was famous enough to have a hit song written about it.  At his behest, the beach was raised and tons of sand dumped under the boardwalk so that instead of the boardwalk being raised, it was at beach level. This backfired during Super Storm Sandy when the storm surge was unable to recede once it breached the boardwalk, and the rest of the island remained flooded for days.  Then there are a few landmarks that developer Joe Sitt had torn down, including the Coney Island Bank Building and Henderson Music Hall, which are preserved in this film. Even Astroland is preserved.  No, this isn't Coney Island at it's best. Even the film The Warriors was not Coney Island at it's best. ( You can see a lot of the arson damage to the area in that film. ) But even shot in the winter, Went To Coney Island On A Mission... Be Back By Five preserves the visual record a lot that was lost, and what developers thought would be best replaced with upscale condominiums.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19321 on: May 25, 2020, 07:03:27 AM »
Orcs! (2011) - This was trying to have a lighter comedic tone and failed. The writing is bad and the acting is worse. Unfortunately since it's such a low budget production it doesn't have much action to speak of (except for a dull repetitive gunfight sequence at the end), and we only see a few orcs faces in makeup. Most are just guys in generic armor. The LOTR references are shoehorned in and obvious.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19322 on: May 27, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
One Cut Of The Dead - Oh wow, this was really interesting! I haven't ever come around this much on a movie while watching it like I did this film.
It's so difficult to discuss this film without spoiling too much of it. It's both about a zombie film and about the making of a zombie film. And not even in the way you might think based on the trailer and the premise.
This movie is split into three very distinct thirds, each about thirty minutes. And I wasn't that impressed with the first third. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. Plus they were using the one take gimmick that doesn't work as well here as it does in movies like Birdman. And especially going in knowing that it's a horror comedy I didn't find that part all that funny (although the increasingly crazy director running around with a camera yelling "Action!" was hilarious). The second third is a little more interesting, although after the first third you wonder why it's structured like this. But it's the last third that makes it allllll worth it and made me love this crazy movie! It's also where the comedy really kicks in.
I would recommend this movie. But you have to watch it to the last part, otherwise you're not going to get it. And it is definitely worth your time.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2398
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19323 on: Today at 04:29:56 AM »
One Cut Of The Dead - Oh wow, this was really interesting! I haven't ever come around this much on a movie while watching it like I did this film.
It's so difficult to discuss this film without spoiling too much of it. It's both about a zombie film and about the making of a zombie film. And not even in the way you might think based on the trailer and the premise.
This movie is split into three very distinct thirds, each about thirty minutes. And I wasn't that impressed with the first third. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. Plus they were using the one take gimmick that doesn't work as well here as it does in movies like Birdman. And especially going in knowing that it's a horror comedy I didn't find that part all that funny (although the increasingly crazy director running around with a camera yelling "Action!" was hilarious). The second third is a little more interesting, although after the first third you wonder why it's structured like this. But it's the last third that makes it allllll worth it and made me love this crazy movie! It's also where the comedy really kicks in.
I would recommend this movie. But you have to watch it to the last part, otherwise you're not going to get it. And it is definitely worth your time.

Erica and I are trying to get caught up on the current season of The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs, and this is one of the episodes coming up. What little I've heard is making me excited to see it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky