Author Topic: Strategy for the next 20 questions  (Read 3468 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
Strategy for the next 20 questions
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »
This is inspired from Pak's "20 questions practice" thread.

I think if we organized a little bit, we could come up with a system on what questions we ask during 20 questions.  That way we have one linear strategy, and we don't waste questions.  Here's a few ideas:

1) figure out how old it is.  Ask "was it made in the '90's?"  "Was it made in the 2000's?"  Avoid asking "was it made in the past 10 years?"  This can be misleading, as we saw in the X-Men thread.  These should be some of the first questions asked, it narrows down the choices quickly.

2) Once we get that nailed down, figure out the genre.  Ask "Is it a drama?"  "Is it an action?"

3) From there, we try to figure out major themes.  These questions will obviously stem from what genre it is, but it should remain broad, like "Does it take place in the past?" and "is it rated R?"  Guesses at specific movie titles should be avoided at this step.

4)  Once we get a few clues at step 3, we can start narrow it down to a few groupings.  These questions will be much more specific, like questions about filmmakers, actors, plot elements (does a main character die, are there guns, etc.)  At this point, attempts at movie titles can be attempted, but only if it follows the logical progression.

What else can you guys recommend as to steps to take when guessing?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:02:16 PM by Smilin Jack Ross »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline tardoid7

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Strategy for the next 20 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
I think somewhere between Step 2 and Step 3, we should ask if it's a remake depending on the answer of Step 1.
Anything between 1990 - 1995 would be most likely (if it is a remake) a remake of an older movie (Cape Fear, etc). Anything after that would be a mix of TV or Film remakes. The more recent years would likely be a TV remake.

Excuse me while I go sink-wash my unit...

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »
Yeah, that is a good question to ask "is it a remake of a tv show or movie?"
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Tealeaf

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
    • Annie Takes Off
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »
Asking if it is more than two hours longs seemed to be useful in the last 20's questions for weeding out some of the "epics" that have been featured in some of the recent polls.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »
And what I've learned from my little training game of 20 questions, is that genres can be misleading if there are multiple genres. Bill and Ted's Bogus journey isn't the first thing one thinks of when they think sci-fi, but if you ask if it's a sci-fi, you gotta say yes. Now how to ask the genre in a way that weeds this out... :^)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:50:39 PM »
Don't just ask a movie title when you have little information about it to go on.
FINE

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:39:37 PM »
I think we should ask if its a movie that we have voted for on the homepage. That seemed to help us with the first 2 "20 Questions".

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:40:45 PM »
If you form a strategy then it takes the fun out of it.  If everyone knows what question should be asked next then there is no rush to try and ask the next question.  What made it fun for me was trying to ask my question, which i thought was a good question, before some asshole blurts out a random movie and wastes a guess.  But without those assholes, I have no reason to click refresh constantly, pre type my question and copy it, and spy on the Who's Online page to see when an administrator is posting.  You might as well just program a bot to ask the questions if you are going to think out a formula.  It'd be a different story if we kept loosing, but we've won each time. 

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 09:26:09 PM »
Oh there'll still be a rush to get the question out. These are just some things to think about to make sure that question is more thought-out. :^)

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 10:42:40 PM »
I think our best strategy is to not let people ask questions like:

"Does it star anyone famous?"

"Is that guy from that movie last year in this?"

Seriously though, something to consider is the fact that we got stumped on the year because people thought too literaly on the date.  The question should be posed as "Is is 5 or less years old based on today's date?".  If they want to play to the letter of the question, force them to be exact too..

Genre & time frame of its theatrical release should be enough to narrow it down to a handful of movies that then refined answers can be formed from.

EDIT:

Also add trying to find out the films rating to the short list

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:18:38 PM by Tarantulas »

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 10:40:26 AM »
If you form a strategy then it takes the fun out of it.  If everyone knows what question should be asked next then there is no rush to try and ask the next question.

There's no way of controlling who asks what question, but I think if we start off with these first few steps, we will start off on the right foot:

1) Find out the decade it was released
2) Find out the genre
3) Find out the rating

After only a few questions, we'll have it narrowed down to something managable.  Ask whatever you want, though. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 10:46:33 AM »
Yeah, except I called it way before the rating.  So take that! 

I'm just joking.  It's a good, logical idea.  Just don't get mad at people for not following it.  The rouge players are important, they keep us on our toes.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 11:17:22 AM »
You did call it early, congrats.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Bump.  Because some of you need to read this.