0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (10%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Rank a Wakening of this Farce  (Read 3086 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3821
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Rank a Wakening of this Farce
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:26:55 AM »
I thought it was ok. Some good lines, others I thought fell flat but overall, it was worthy of an 8 ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Rank a Wakening of this Farce
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
An 8 from me also, a few good laughs, nothing side splitting, the rest kind of average.

Seemed like there were missed opportunities in spots, I thought several times "they didn't poke fun at that?".

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
Seemed like there were missed opportunities in spots, I thought several times "they didn't poke fun at that?".
I had the same thoughts! So it wasn't just me :o

Offline Phileaux

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:24:09 AM »
An 8 from me also, a few good laughs, nothing side splitting, the rest kind of average.

Well, it *is* a good movie, which makes it harder. It's like watching Honest Trailers struggle when they do a good movie. If I didn't know the Riffers go through a movie several times, I would have thought at a few points they got caught up watching and forgot to riff.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 722
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:08 PM »
8 sounds about right. Nowhere near as good as the original trilogy riffs. About on par with the prequel riffs. I think the riff suffered from "We're obligated to do it" syndrome, like most of their recent MP3 riffs. I really miss Rifftrax from 5 years ago.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:12:52 PM »
8 sounds about right. Nowhere near as good as the original trilogy riffs. About on par with the prequel riffs. I think the riff suffered from "We're obligated to do it" syndrome, like most of their recent MP3 riffs. I really miss Rifftrax from 5 years ago.
I would concur with this assesment.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57:17 AM »
Thought it was really good, a little bit knocked off for forcing a few jokes (really, another "John Goodman is fat" joke? Have they seen a recent picture of him?).

I did like the introduction actually conceeding that they gave up all the political junk to make it "actually kinda good."
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Phileaux

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:22 PM »
Thought it was really good, a little bit knocked off for forcing a few jokes (really, another "John Goodman is fat" joke? Have they seen a recent picture of him?).

I did like the introduction actually conceeding that they gave up all the political junk to make it "actually kinda good."

This is really the problem here - the movie is pretty good. That makes it much MUCH harder to riff. Check out the Honest Trailer for Winter Soldier - they openly admit up front it was gonna be tough, so they were going to have to nitpick.

Go back and watch the prequel riffs - it was easy because they are so freaking bad. Compare the number of generic riffs ("Next we have a heroic coin sorting machine") to riffs about stupid stuff ("Now the ersatz Carl Orff music is trying to tell us something important is happening").

I was startled they did this one for exactly this reason.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »
I was startled they did this one for exactly this reason.

Wasn't this one promised way before the movie came out, when no one knew if it would be good or not.

They have done good movies before, they can be great riffs but usually are not as side splitting as the ones for bad movies. 
For me the biggest laughs usually happen with the combo of laughing at the movie and laughing at the riff.

Offline CJones

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:53 AM »
Hell, the Original Trilogy were good movies, and they had outstanding riffs. I think the primary difference is that those movies came out 30+ years, and everybody's seen them a dozen times. When you know a movie that well, it's much easier to poke fun at it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 08:51:43 AM »
When you know a movie that well, it's much easier to poke fun at it.

Yeah, 30 years of riffs being perfected by your subconscious would be a help.  ;D

Also for the audience it's easier to concentrate on the riffs when you already have the movie memorized.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
At first I read that as "Rate a Wankening"

Oddly, the response I would've given to that is not much different: I'll give it an 8, they've done better but still solid.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline CJones

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »
I'm watching this again, and maybe it's because I've been drinking, but it seems a lot funnier the second time around.