Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE bonus disc featuring The MST3K Annual Summer Blockbuster Review  (Read 3902 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
[Also posting this in the 'Random Thoughts' thread on the Forum.]

Hey MSTies! Volume XXXVI is up for pre-order, and if you order from ShoutFactory.com you get an EXCLUSIVE bonus disc featuring The MST3K Annual Summer Blockbuster Review!

There are a limited number of these, more details on the product page here. This volume includes the following episodes:

Riding With Death
Stranded In Space
City Limits
The Incredible Melting Man

Unfortunately, since Amazon discounts the MST3K DVD sets to about $40 on release, this means that one is paying over $20 (with Shout!'s shipping charges the total is over $61) for basically one hour of material.  Collectors can't pass it up (so order soon, they say there's only 1000 copies and that's not a lot!), but those just wanting the original full-film shows can easily let this one slide.  For investment reasons, I wish I could afford multiples.  The combination of a film with dubious licensing and this would likely make this a valuable set.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:07:16 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Hmm, that's going to require a little thought.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
I went for it.  Normally I avoid ordering from Shout since they charge so much more than elsewhere, but whenever they toss in a bonus disc that you can't get elsewhere it's a tough decision.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
I'm torn as well.  I have no extra money to spend, but that bonus disc looks really amusing.  I've never seen the Blockbuster specials, but at least it's still available for a little while.  I nearly missed out on the Nightbreed set they issued, since I thought I ordered before they ran out, but my numbering shows I ended up getting into the second set of 5,000 they printed instead.  Need to scrape up $60 somehow before too much longer...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
I ordered it from Amazon, but it's $60 from there and $55 from Shout. I'm sure Amazon will go down after a while, but otherwise it's not really that much different. I'm thinking about cancelling my Amazon order. Has Shout sold out of the 1000 yet?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
So far, no. As soon as they do, they say they'll update this listing accordingly:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/sci-fi/mst3k-volume-xxxvi

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
Way more money then I wanted to spend for this set, but I'm a sucker for the bonus disks and I can't remember seeing the Summer Blockbuster Reviews, so I ordered it from Shout.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
Just ordered it, somehow they still have not done 1,000 preorders from Shout yet.  You can still get it while the getting is good.

My guess is the $60 (with shipping) price is turning off a lot of people from getting the disc, or they just get it through Amazon (like I normally do) and just don't think to order it directly.  I couldn't imagine any other reason that it's still available.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Yeah it's pretty hard to justify, I can't make myself do it on the current budget!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Yeah... $20 for roughly 40 minutes is a lot of money.  The only reason I'm doing it is because the collector in me won't let me not get it.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Yeah. You KNOW the disc is going to go on eBay for like- $50 in a few years.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Yeah. You KNOW the disc is going to go on eBay for like- $50 in a few years.

Heck, the mail-order-only sleeve-encased Vol.10 'fill' of Giant Gila Monster (for those who were supposed to throw out their Godzilla discs ::) ) goes on Amazon for about $100 - and it was in the Vol. 10.2 (which is only twice that for all four discs of V.10.2)!  As an investment, the Summer Blockbuster Review is pretty close to a sure thing... the only thing that I could think of that could impair that value increase would be if they decide to toss the two Summer Blockbuster Reviews onto the final disc set they may release, as extras.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
I keep my mail-order sleeve tucked neatly away in my Volume 10.  I sometimes wonder if anyone actually ever did throw out their Godzilla vs. Megalon and replace it with the Gila Monster and is kicking themselves right now... ;)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
Yeah...pre-order arrived today...got an email this morning from Shout saying it had shipped, so wasn't expecting it until mid next week.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Got mine, too. Never saw the first Blockbuster special, so looking forward to that!