Author Topic: R.I.P. Phife Dawg.  (Read 495 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1219
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
R.I.P. Phife Dawg.
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:12:52 AM »
http://www.okayplayer.com/news/malik-phife-dawg-taylor-passes-away-at-45-atcq.html

Damn, really didn’t want to believe this one was true, but the news seems to be confirmed at this point. It’s with heavy hearts that we report that legendary emcee and overall amazing human being Malik Isaac Taylor, also known as Phife Dawg of A Tribe Called Quest has passed away. Phife has transitioned to a better place at the age of only 45.

The sports loving, witty MC had been battling health issues for years. After becoming “the Funky Diabetic” in 1990 due to poor dieting, alcohol and sweets, Phife would later have complications with his kidneys later in life. In 2000, he was placed on a hemodialysis machine and was hospitalized two years later. Eventually, in 2008, the “Five Foot Assassin” received a kidney transplant from his wife and was regaining his health as the group celebrated its royal place in hip-hop.

Known for his subtle double entendres, helium-high voice and devastatingly clever punchlines, Phife will sorely be missed by all those who love hip-hop and the culture. As a member of one of the most influential groups in modern American music, he shone like a beacon on tracks like “Butter,” which featured his solo vocal performance; “Check The Rhime” and “Scenario,” where he went toe-to-toe with a young lyrical dragon known as Busta Rhymes.

As a group, A Tribe Called Quest performed their last hurrah as an opening act for Kanye West, yet they did reform to perform on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon to celebrate the 25th anniversary of People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm. The amount of love, honor and respect from those within the hip-hop community is flooding social media.

Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Q-Tip and Jarobi, the remaining members of ATCQ, have yet to make a statement of their bandmate’s passing, but we will update with word if and when they do.

We here at Okayplayer offer our sincerest condolences, prayers and tears to the family and friends of Malik Isaac Taylor.

Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)