Author Topic: INDIANA JONES 5  (Read 9842 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2650
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: INDIANA JONES 5
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
That is one of my favorite bits from the Crystal Skull riff.

Yes, and I'd have the same comeback for Mike if I had been in the recording studio with him.  :rimshot:

I hear you've been campaigning for Betty White to play Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »

Yes, and I'd have the same comeback for Mike if I had been in the recording studio with him.  :rimshot:

I hear you've been campaigning for Betty White to play Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot.
That would make a fun SNL sketch.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »

That would make a fun SNL sketch.

Bet it wouldn't :P
FINE

Ben

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »

I'll try to ignore the fact you're being an ageist prick for the moment, and get back to the Solo/Indy thing. You contend "Force Awakens" didn't pretend Han Solo wasn't an old man in comparison to "Crystal Skull," and yet the script for "Crystal Skull" continually acknowledges Indy's age on multiple occasions. I'm not trying to debate the quality of the movie itself (which is mostly bad), I'm just trying to make sense of your nonsensical argument.

Now, you have two options. We can attempt to continue this discussion in a civil manner, supposedly as fellow STAR WARS fans, or you can drag this down into a flame war, which will ultimately end with us both getting banned. The choice is yours, big man.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:16:00 PM by Ben »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »

I'll try to ignore the fact you're being an ageist prick at the moment, and get back to the Solo/Indy thing. You contend "Force Awakens" didn't pretend Han Solo wasn't an old man in comparison to "Crystal Skull," and yet the script for "Crystal Skull" continually acknowledges Indy's age on multiple occasions. I'm not trying to debate about the quality of the movie itself (which is mostly bad), I'm just trying to make sense of your nonsensical argument.

Now, you have two options. We can attempt to continue this discussion in a civil manner, supposedly as fellow STAR WARS fans, or you can drag this down into a flame war, which will ultimately end with us both getting banned. The choice is yours, big man.

Amazing.

You just called me a prick and asked me to conduct a conversation in a civil manner? And you are threatening me with a ban? How do you propose that would happen?

You're awfully close to a ban right now, "big man."

I am not much of a Star Wars fan at all, actually, I just felt the handled it better.

There is NOTHING "ageist" about suggesting Harrison Ford didn't successfully pull off an action role that was written for someone who was able to physically keep up.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Also, WTF?:

I guess it's noble of Steven to feel he has to make up for "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," but can't he do that by doing a similar kind of adventure movie instead of trying to believably sell an action hero over 75?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
Apparently Han didn't die in the Arndt version of the script. So yeah, that's JJ trying to "make his mark" (on someone else's canvas).

He's such a fuck.

To be fair, Harrison already made it clear that he wanted Han Solo to die back in ROTJ, and how long could he believably portray a badass blaster-totin' smuggler when he's over 70?
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »
I don't need Steven Spielberg to "make up" for Crystal Skull. That movie just showed that he is a different director now. He's best at making different kinds of movies, like the Lincoln biopic. I thought Spielberg felt more like an embarrassing shadow of himself than Harrison Ford did in that movie.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2016, 05:48:31 PM »
I don't need Steven Spielberg to "make up" for Crystal Skull. That movie just showed that he is a different director now. He's best at making different kinds of movies, like the Lincoln biopic. I thought Spielberg felt more like an embarrassing shadow of himself than Harrison Ford did in that movie.

I know you didn't like it, but I thought Tintin showed he was still capible of making exactly that kind of film.

War of the Worlds is an excellently directed film that isn't too far removed either (let down by the story not really being that strong).
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

HAHAHA
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Ben

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
Also, WTF?:

I guess it's noble of Steven to feel he has to make up for "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," but can't he do that by doing a similar kind of adventure movie instead of trying to believably sell an action hero over 75?

Context, asshole, context. I wrote that post when I was feeling more cynical (much how you're probably feeling right now), but that was after a second viewing of TFA and an interview featuring Harrison Ford's enthusiasm about coming back to the role. That's not to say enthusiasm will conquer the reality of an old body, but I'll take Ford's naivete over your weaselly cynicism any day of the week.

I don't care if you're a moderator. You're a moderator behaving in the manner of a troll, and I had every right to call you such. This is a THOROUGHLY prick-natured comment:

Much like this one:

HAHAHA

If you want to ban me, ban me. Maybe it would be for the best. If your personality is commonplace for this forum (and for a MST3K/Rifftrax supporter in general), odds are I wouldn't be missing out on much.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
OK, Ben needs a little time out.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »
BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FELICIA!   :-*
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2016, 07:19:11 PM »
If Ben chooses to come back to this thread when he is of cooler head:

When you posted your two stabs at Ford being too old, did anyone then call you a prick or an asshole? Or were they able to talk to you in a reasonable way?

If you think the joke about Betty White is trolling, I don't know what to tell you. You're on a comedy forum, and what I said was not inappropriate, off topic or meant to upset you.

The good news for you is that Spielberg and I rarely talk these days, so I doubt he will be listening to me and my feeling that Jones should be recast.
FINE

Ben

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »
Why exactly am I the only one who needs a "cooler head," Edward? Especially considering how you seem to have voluntarily turned a blind eye to ScottotD, who really HAS behaved like a troll, and been completely unapologetic about it to boot?

Look, I know you're probably influenced by the humor on MST3K which often blurs the line between "comedy" and "mockery," but your comment came across as mockery from top to bottom. Regardless of what you actually intended at the time you wrote it, you need to be more aware of how dangerous the lack of tone in online posts can be, and how easily a misunderstanding can explode into open war. That's your responsibility as a moderator.

I make no apologies. With that said, I won't come back to this thread, if it will keep the peace. I didn't mean for things to go south the way they did, but I'm not interested in being made to feel I was the only guilty party either.