login

Author Topic: Wizards of the Lost Kingdom - Now Available!  (Read 4408 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom - Now Available!
« on: March 11, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/wizards-of-the-lost-kingdom

From the deepest, darkest, most sorcerously stained corner of the video store, in the “mid-80s fantasy movies trying to trick you into thinking they were kind of like Star Wars” section, it’s Wizards of the Lost Kingdom!

Yes, it’s hard to believe now, but in the 80s people were still pretty obsessed with Star Wars. Oh, how the world has changed since then! And Wizards of the Lost Kingdom brings the knock-off heat. A roguish but charming scoundrel who can’t help but do the right thing: Check! A giant hairy monster mess of a best friend who makes digestive sounds to communicate: Check! A whiny unlikable kid prodigy who’s the son of a more famous magic type: Check, with extra unlikeability! A thrilling plot full of amazing special effects and edge-of-your-seat action: uh… did we mention the furry digestive sounds guy?

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom is like 6 different movies in one, in the sense that it was seemingly cobbled together from at least 6 different movies into one not-at-all cohesive whole! And it stars Bo Svenson, who you may recognize from small parts in some Tarantino movies, the kind of small parts in Tarantino movies actors get because they were once in obscure movies like Wizards of the Lost Kingdom. The film business is confusing!

Finders keepers losers weepers, sorry Wizards but it’s our Kingdom now! Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for the tour of an ancient Spencer’s Gifts store that is Wizards of the Lost Kingdom!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:25:21 PM by MrTorso »

Offline fodder650

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 15
Re: Wizards of the Lost Kingdom - Now Available!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
The low production values.
The cheap special effects.
Thom playing Truxartus again
A hero who looks like someones Dad
The really good rifs making up for all this
This movie is bad. A different kind of bad then, say, Rollergator but it was just bad.
I'm watching it and I keep thinking of this gif.
Fodder's just this guy, you know.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »
This is cool but what happened to the short, I think it was called Williams Goes to Harlem? It's disappeared from the website.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
Well at least we figured out what happened to chewbacca's albino cousin.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »
Three Rifftrax in one week? My body is not ready.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »
Three Rifftrax in one week? My body is not ready.

I do jaw stretches. It helps.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
This is cool but what happened to the short, I think it was called Williams Goes to Harlem? It's disappeared from the website.

So has Litter Monster, even though I bought and DLed them both (and Wizards) last night.  Arbitrary disappearances/outages like this are why I will never rely on streaming for any specific purchase.  It's DRM-free downloads or DVDs, or no sale, ever.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 05:54:57 PM »
Throughout this entire movie I kept thinking: this music sounds like some long lost James Horner soundtrack I've never heard. Like the themes from Krull or Star Trek II could break out at any moment.

So I go back and re-watch the opening credits. "Music by James Horner & Chris Young" You're kidding...  :scared:

So I check IMDB.  "Features the score from 'Battle Beyond the Stars'", a movie I've never seen. And who wrote the score for that? Yep, James Horner. That guy wrote some awesome music, especially in the 80s. Rest In Peace my favorite movie music composer of all time.

Offline DrKlahn

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
I too noticed Horner's score immediately. I kept hearing hints of ST2:TWOK and The Rocketeer. But I haven't seen Krull in ages, so I'm sure there are a lot of hints of it too I'm just not picking up. RIP indeed Mr. Horner.

As far as the Riff goes this is one of our favorites of late. Really kept us laughing. A solid 9/10 (maybe even a 10) for us.
Building my fighting force of extraordinary magnitude