Author Topic: One thing that could have improved the Prequels MASSIVELY  (Read 5887 times)

Johnny_Short_Torso

One thing that could have improved the Prequels MASSIVELY
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:06:04 AM »
(Here's my scene that could have made the whole trilogy better... but I want to hear EVERYONE'S ideas for that.)

The jedi council sit somberly as the cleaning guy stands there before them in their silly little round chamber
with all the council members sitting in little beanbag chairs.
"Yup, I'm afraid somebody has been gassing your room with a combination of the whacky tabacky, Nitrous oxide and diesel fumes for the past 10 years,"
Mace Windu looked up, surprised
"I thought that was just your armpit I was smelling Master Yoda"
"Yes, not only farts mine dangerous gaseous have been, but we have been tricked for years. We have made some very stupid decisions." Yoda held his head in his little hand, ashamed
"Like what? I barely remember anything" Said Windu, also holding his head in his hand
"Well... first we allowed Penis-head to become a Jedi"
Ki-Adi Mundi stood up, feeling gravely insulted.
"I am Ki-Adi Mundi, descendant of the conehead clan, I will not tolerate your intolerance anymore!"
As soon as KI-Adi-Mundi left the room he accidentally knocked his own head off by a low doorway.
"Yoda.... we also let Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan train that little nit-wit dipshit Ani!"
"Oh, mean you the girl little!"
"No... what?! Well anyways We shouldn't have, I mean the Jedi have always had a code never to train boys
named Ani!!!!"
"Yoda.... go we must then, go back in time and rectify mistake will we!"
They go back in time and stop episodes I, II and III from happeneing and as a result a much more dramatic and
wonderful story arises without gunguns, Haydn Christensens, pod races, without midichlorians and boring senate meetings.
The end.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:36:28 AM by Johnny_Short_Torso »

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: One thing that could have improved the Prequels MASSIVELY
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
My very first suggestion would be for the entire cast to put a little more effort into their performance.

It is common knowledge that the original trilogy cast had no idea what the heck they were saying, and had no way of knowing what the final product would look like, they just jumped right in it and gave it their best. If the Prequel cast would have at least tried to make believe a little, then maybe we'd have a better product.

Second, George should have let some young writer spruce up his deplorable dialog.

He is an old man now, and doesn't have the edge and spirit he used to. He needs that again. He needs some struggling writer who desires to write a blockbuster to come in and give his dialog some power, not some old, exceedingly rich, super-well known and respected big businessman.

From there, everything else would fall into place the way it needed to.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »
There are a huge number of snarky answers available, but I really don't think the movies as they are could have been saved.

So burn it down and start again, is what I'm saying.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 01:57:49 PM »
know what would have vastly improved the prequel trilogy? Well acting talent for one, and someone other than Lucas writing them.

Offline Hazzah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • D'oh
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
I think the best thing which could have been done is someone charging Lucas a couple of mil every time the words: "We'll fix it in post" were uttered.

After losing a billion, he probably would've thought: "hey, maybe I should let Fincher direct episode III"

:D
Hi-Keeba!

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:12:09 PM »
Oh God

Fincher directing a movie where it's the third in a trilogy and he doesn't have full creative control

That would turn out well

Offline Hazzah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • D'oh
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
Oh God

Fincher directing a movie where it's the third in a trilogy and he doesn't have full creative control

That would turn out well

His career would have come full circle.  :o
Hi-Keeba!

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:42:17 AM »
I don't think acting talent was really the issue with the prequels, at least not the main issue. Like Kodiak said, the original trilogy actors didn't have a clue what they were really doing during the shoot for the first movie, but they gave a solid effort. It's not like Hamill or Fisher went on to light up Hollywood with their thespian chops. Apart from maybe some of Ford's better performances, the OT cast didn't have the greatest resumes before or after.

The problem was that Lucas clearly bit off more than he could chew. From every prequel interview I can remember seeing, he was more interested in advancing the technology and his related movie-technology business interests than he was with the movie franchise that got him there in the first place.

Again I agree with Kodiak, hire some hungry young writers to flesh out his framework. Go beyond that and hire a director who can work with the actors. Sure, it might be hard to find a decent director(s) who could cope with Lucas meddling... but it couldn't have been any worse than George taking on the whole shebang by himself when it was clear what aspect of the process was getting the bulk of his attention.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 04:44:54 AM »
know what would have vastly improved the prequel trilogy? Well acting talent for one, and someone other than Lucas writing them.

Please refer to Reply #1.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 02:55:11 PM »

Please refer to Reply #1.

Well great minds think alike...

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 04:22:44 AM »
To quote the MST3K short "What To Do On a Date"...

"You read the list too?"

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »
I was thinking about it the other day and if today's Hollywood is any indication, I figure there's a good chance the prequels will be remade in my lifetime (as long as Lucas dies before I do). If so, we may be lucky and get someone a lot more capable in the director's chair. If so, perhaps we'll get believeable acting, more practical sfx in combination with computer animation (a physical clone trooper suit, anyone?), and a maturation of the plots. Or the next Uwe Boll might get a hold of it.  :scared: Who knows, maybe all movies will be computer generated by then and look as real as the real thing.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 09:30:08 PM »
I think it was gutsy of Lucas to allow Jar-Jar to write all the dialog for all three movies.  Even though Jar-Jar was forced to tone down some of the blatantly racial overtones in 2 and 3, I think we can all appreciate the skill it must have taken for a retarded sloth to first learn English and then teach himself screenwriting.  While I believe Jar-Jar's dialog to be severly flawed, I appreciate Lucas' giving the retarded fans of Star Wars their own trilogy.  The rest of us normals will have to be content with having the first trilogy of movies.
On timeout