login

Author Topic: The "Cabin Fever" remake  (Read 680 times)

Ben

The "Cabin Fever" remake
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:54:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scJIYwH6keM

If anyone, anywhere, in the entire world, pays to see this movie, I WILL KILL THEM.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: The "Cabin Fever" remake
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »
I'll wait until I hear more about it. As it is I know Eli Roth has been behind it 100% so that makes me curious.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:12:38 AM »
It's a case where the original is garbage, so a remake has nowhere to go but up. So it's got that going for it at least.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
Now, I only saw a small part of the original movie, and while it has been well over a decade since the original came out (if that scares anyone), here's the issue I see...

When John Carpenter remade The Thing, he added color and the paranoia factor.
When Gus van Sant remade Psycho, he added color and pointlessness.
When Rob Zombie remade Halloween, he added unnecessary backstory but more gore and dank.
When Fede Alvarez remade The Evil Dead, he added a bigger budget and people getting stabbed in the face with needles.
Now, with the Cabin Fever remake, we have...what, exactly?  Machine guns?  It looks just about the same, the budget looks comparable, and the acting looks just as good or bad.  About all that seems to be missing is "Pancakes!"

What I'm saying is, this looks to be one of the absolute most pointless remakes I've ever seen of anything.  Whether it's good or bad, it just doesn't seem like it's there to do anything other than give Eli Roth a chance to say, "Yep, I made this awhile back.  I like that it made me money.  I need money.  I've been having a rough couple of years.  Please, people, I'm so sorry I made Knock Knock and Green Inferno.  Remember when I used to make movies that shocked people and made them care?  Here it is again!"

(Nothing against Eli Roth personally...except for Hostel II.  It just reeks less of need than for nostalgia/bankability.)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3155
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »
Does the addition of pointlessness make a remake more or less pointless than a remake that adds nothing? Discuss!

jonalame

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »
Eli Roth should stick to uncredited Tarantino cameos. It baffles me that people revere anything he has ever directed or that there would be an outrage over his "masterpiece" being remade. The guy is no Raimi.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
Everything becomes a masterpiece when a remake is announced, I didn't love the original but I like the concept enough to want to see a remake
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)