Author Topic: Rifftrax people on Letterboxd  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2288
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Rifftrax people on Letterboxd
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »
Since a lot of people haven't heard of it, and there has been a bit of talk about it, I thought I'd just start a thread about it.

Letterboxd is a social media site 100% about watching movies.

You can log the films you watch, include a rating and a review if you choose. Comment on other people's reviews and lists.

If you mark films watched, you can filter lists easily to exclude films you have watched or haven't watched.

For example, I can go to this list that has every film nominated for an Oscar in any category and see that I have seen 15% of them (690 out of 4701).

I think it's a great site, if you love movies, and very rewarding to look back on.

It's free to use. (A paid account will let you generate more stats, but it's not necessary)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:45:38 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Rifftrax people on Letterboxd
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »
I'll keep a list of Rifftrax members in this post to make them easier to find (if you want to be)

Edward J Grug III: tedprior
JimJ: eviljim
ScottotD: ScottotD
George Harrison: CaptainQuint
Pak-Man: pakgor
Relaxing Dragon: relaxingdragon
MartyS (Gromit): MartyS
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:24:30 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:03 PM »
I just went pro today. I have logged every film I've seen since I signed up in 2013, and I just love stats! :P

I looked back at 2014's stats, and it lists my most watched actor as Stan Lee and I vomited a little bit.

Is it only web based? Do they have an app?

They have an app. I've downloaded it, but not opened it yet.

Does it have a different name? I couldn't find anything when I searched the Play store.

If I upgrade to Pro later, does that update all stats for stuff I'm entering now?

Actually, yeah, a separate thread would probably be a good idea.

OK, I must have dreamed that I did that? (Or confused it with another app) but looking at the Letterboxd twitter, 20 mins ago they said they have one about to launch.

Yeah, upgrading later lets you look at stats for previous years (I just upgraded yesterday for the first time).
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
Cool news. I'll see about setting up a list tonight. If I'm reading this right, the whole Diary concept is me logging every movie I watch, in order, whether it's a theatrical release or home on DVD/streaming, right? That'd be great for me. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I've got a Word doc I manually log all the movies I see in theaters, but that's all. Frankly, I could be a lot more obsessive about this.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1223
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:02 PM »
Just joined
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
Cool news. I'll see about setting up a list tonight. If I'm reading this right, the whole Diary concept is me logging every movie I watch, in order, whether it's a theatrical release or home on DVD/streaming, right? That'd be great for me. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I've got a Word doc I manually log all the movies I see in theaters, but that's all. Frankly, I could be a lot more obsessive about this.

Yep, you got it. If you're word doc is up to date, you could easily even add those movies for as long as you've been logging them.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:35:35 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1223
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
Scottotd on Instagram & Letterboxd or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »

Yep, you got it. If you're word doc is up to date, you could easily even add those movies for as long as you've been logging them.

Alright, yeah, I got it now. I actually can't use the doc for that since the only thing I don't track is exact dates on there... but luckily, I've also been saving my stubs for years now.

Alright, looks like I've got my work cut out for me for the next few hours  8)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
Enjoy! :D
FINE

MightyJack

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
This is mine... http://letterboxd.com/CaptainQuint/

I've watched a shit load of movies in January, because it's cold and my car hasn't been running well in these low temps - so I've been staying home with netflix and library check outs and such.

I initially signed up for the watchlist (my memory isn't what it used to be, and I've got scattered lists on paper, on word files. This should be more organized). But I'm enjoying the diary part of it. Seeing what I've watched (and using tags to signify where or how I've seen them)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2534
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »
I'm in now as pakgor.

MightyJack

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 02:44:40 AM »
BTW, as to the screen-name... I tried for Terry Malloy and then Jake Gittes, but they were in use. Then I typed in Quint and surprisingly got that one. (had I not, the next movie related name I was going to shoot for was Kambei Shimada). Funny thing is, I can't find Malloy or Gittes as members?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:46:37 AM by George Harrison »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:04 AM »
Ugh, this site. Like I needed another obsession right now. Going through most of my assorted backlog to get everything entered into the diary took a few hours, and I've still got 5 years worth of ticket stubs to enter. Probably a good thing I don't have dates for any stuff I watched on DVD at home, or else I'd be at this for a week straight.

This is me: http://letterboxd.com/RelaxingDragon/

So now let me see... I've got this site, imdb (for all my general tracking), flickchart, icheckmovies, my regular word and excel sheets... I'm surprised I find the time to actually watch movies in between all the cataloging I do about them.

EDIT: I also think I'll try breaking my usual grading habit (wherin I grade like a teacher and generally don't put a lot of stick into the numbers anyway), as it's resulted in a loooooooooooooooot of 4-star movies. But, that'll come later. First I wanna just get all up-to-date.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:29:45 AM by Relaxing Dragon »