login

Author Topic: RIP Angus Scrimm  (Read 865 times)

Ben

RIP Angus Scrimm
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »
Angus Scrimm, aka the diabolical "Tall Man" from the PHANTASM films, has passed away.

http://www.fangoria.com/new/rip-angus-scrimm-a-true-gentleman-of-horror/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5573
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: RIP Angus Scrimm
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
One of the only good things in Phantasm.

So who is going to be the Tall Man's mortician?

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:41:17 AM »

I take it you didn't like any of the movies, then?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »

I take it you didn't like any of the movies, then?
Nope!

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
Nope!

Why?
It's very clear that they had no idea what they were doing and just throwing ideas at the wall to see what stuck, especially in the first one. And the ONLY thing that stuck was the Tall Man and the silver killing balls. Everything else is just boooooring and meandering. Which the director insultingly tries to spackle over by calling it "dreamlike". Ugh, don't piss on me and call it rain. Plus the sequels try to take a nothing character like Reggie and make him an Ash wannabe, for no reason other than to copy the Evil Dead's success.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
It's very clear that they had no idea what they were doing and just throwing ideas at the wall to see what stuck, especially in the first one. And the ONLY thing that stuck was the Tall Man and the silver killing balls. Everything else is just boooooring and meandering. Which the director insultingly tries to spackle over by calling it "dreamlike". Ugh, don't piss on me and call it rain. Plus the sequels try to take a nothing character like Reggie and make him an Ash wannabe, for no reason other than to copy the Evil Dead's success.

I can't say much about the sequels (which were far more action-centric),but I think the original movie DID succeed at creating a spooky, ethereal atmosphere reminiscent of a dream/nightmare. The grimy, late '70's ambiance helps a lot. I'd prefer to watch a horror movie that ENDEAVORS to be different and sincere, than watch a snarky little post-modern blonde brat stake vampires.

I also feel the accusation about Coscarelli trying to turn Reggie into an Ash clone is bit of a stretch. Besides, Reggie Bannister stands on his own two feet as a believable All-American joe going up against insane odds.