Author Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (2017) (spoilers free to be seen)  (Read 40845 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (2017) (spoilers free to be seen)
« Reply #585 on: September 21, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
So... if I get where you're coming from... a lack of a certain type of weaponry ruins the sequels and original trilogy? Kunedog, I'm sorry but those kinds of details are not what Star Wars is all about. The word "Wars" might be in the name, but ultimately the Star Wars movies come down to just being about an epic struggle of good vs. evil a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Frankly, I don't give a damn what weaponry either side has, and if my enjoyment of those movies is riding on what weapons the bad and good guys have, then to be blunt, Star Wars would not be the movie series for me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:50:27 AM by Russoguru »

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
« Reply #586 on: September 21, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »
This is part of what people mean when they say the clumsy, inconsistent, careless writing ruins not only the sequels, but the original movies.

People really need to get over the idea of one movie ruining another, none of this is real, why would you let make believe stuff ruin your enjoyment of other make believe stuff?  If you really love a movie it stands by itself.

Do you really not get this? I'm watching a movie featuring a character, and I think about that character in other movies in that series.  When that series shits on that character, I think about that.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #587 on: September 21, 2018, 11:38:31 PM »
This is part of what people mean when they say the clumsy, inconsistent, careless writing ruins not only the sequels, but the original movies.

People really need to get over the idea of one movie ruining another, none of this is real, why would you let make believe stuff ruin your enjoyment of other make believe stuff?  If you really love a movie it stands by itself.

Do you really not get this? I'm watching a movie featuring a character, and I think about that character in other movies in that series.  When that series shits on that character, I think about that.

So you can't go back and watch the previous movies and enjoy them now?  Those movies are now ruined?  That's what I'm talking about.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #588 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »

I'm not really talking about myself there, and I don't personally agree with that position.  IMO TLJ's damage to SW is limited to itself and its own series (i.e. its own past (Ep VII) and future (Ep IX)).  And when I think about the OT, I find it easy to dismiss the Disney SW movies (and the prequels).

I never saw the OT in theaters and don't read any EU novels or play the videogames, but I have empathy for those who are such huge SW fans that they can't help but be invested in the new films despite extreme disappointment in what TLJ did to the universe.  At best, the filmmakers didn't care and didn't think things through, and at worst they're outright hostile to the fanbase.  This HS ramming contradiction brings that home for me and illustrates the problem less subjectively than the usual story complaints (e.g. the First Order exists as if the empire was never defeated; Luke might as well be some random hopeless JoeBlo).  In the context of HS ramming, the majority of Star Wars media (films, novels, games, whatever) literally makes almost zero sense.

So when someone says "This retroactively ruins the OT" then yes, I do think they're going too far, but now I really get where they're coming from.  And I do agree that it damages the current series . . . and it's even worse that the regime responsible for TLJ is in still charge of future films.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #589 on: September 22, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »
I don't know why people can't just use the same power of imagination that allows for suspension of disbelief when watching a movie they love to ignore any later stuff that they didn't like.  If the writing for a character goes somewhere you don't like then forget about it, just use your own head and imagine it a different way.  Luke and Ben rebuild the Jedi and take down the First Order before it gets strong enough to be a major threat.

Ruining for the future of a franchise I can understand.  I don't have hope that I'll ever get another Star Trek show or movie I will like, so for me that franchise ended in 2005 with the second to last episode of Enterprise.   I guess this case is harder with the side movies, so some new movies need to be ignored but not others. 

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #590 on: September 22, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »
There were no plot holes or inconsistencies in Star Wars pre TLJ. Mmhmm.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #591 on: September 22, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
I admit I haven't seen every sci-fi franchise out there, but in most of the major ones I've seen, there are at least... a few plot holes and inconsistencies here and there. Here's the thing, obviously the majority of audiences looked the other way and continued to watch those films/TV shows anyway and... they enjoyed them. Here's the thing, if a film can focus on what's most important to people(generally speaking), then IMO it has succeeded.