Author Topic: Rifftrax Sync App Android Open Beta!  (Read 4780 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
Rifftrax Sync App Android Open Beta!
« on: December 12, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »
Calling all Android users! Want to help beta test our new Sync app? It's now available on Google Play! It includes access to Just the Jokes commentaries for the six Star Wars movies (free for a limited time): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rifftrax.android&hl=en. Tap DOWNLOAD to get the jokes (WiFi recommended), play the movie, then tap PLAY in the app. The app will start listening, and sync will begin soon after dialogue is heard.

iOS version coming soon!

NOTES: This is a beta! Library connectivity will come in a future version. Syncing takes around 30 seconds; due to technical reasons, sync works best with scenes that have dialogue and sound effects, and not so much with scenes featuring lots of music. Requires at least Android 4.0.

More information: http://rifftrax.com/app

Read the FAQs: http://ideas.rifftrax.com/knowledgebase/topics/113088-the-rifftrax-app

Tell us about your experience in the comments or via our feedback form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oMTkIx-w5s3DFpiZMBHAbpks1f4LXLcNo2cgqaSqU3A

Happy riffing!

Offline crionox

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
Re: Rifftrax Sync App Android Open Beta!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
Gave it a test drive tonight with Return of the Jedi.  Worked pretty well!  The only issue was that it took a few minutes to start due to the movie mainly containing music at the beginning.  But once it finally kicked in, it kept pace admirably well.  Anxious to see how it does with some other films!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2339
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
Does it let you attempt to sync manually at the start like the traditional method and them right itself using the ap, or do you just miss the start of any rifftrax that doesn't have dialogue at the start?
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2313
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:59:32 AM »
Does it let you attempt to sync manually at the start like the traditional method and them right itself using the ap, or do you just miss the start of any rifftrax that doesn't have dialogue at the start?

I don't see any way to do that, so for something like A New Hope you miss a lot of riffs at the start.  So it would be very useful to maybe have a text description of what to look for at the start and hit a button on the app when it appears, then have the app listen to get more accurate sync once there is dialog.

I did jump around the movie quite a bit, hitting the button to re-sync worked pretty well as long as there was 30 seconds of dialog for it to listen to.  Either it doesn't keep listening once it syncs or I didn't let it sit long enough before hitting the button, but when I changed the chapter on the movie it didn't re-sync automatically.

Offline kiemer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 01:24:57 AM »
The Star Wars movies are probably not the best movies to test with. Each of them has long dialogue free openings. The only other problem was that it kept going out of sync near the end of Jedi. It was only a couple of seconds but kept reoccurring.

Offline Lazarus Dark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »
I plan to test this sometime during Christmas. I have one question: The SW riffs were all made prior to the SW blurays I think and the bluray releases contain a few new edits, so would these only work with the older dvd's?
Perhaps this is why kiemer above indicates a problem with the end of RotJ?
Also, is there an official place for feedback? The purpose of a "beta" is usually to get feedback, right? I don't see a feedback button in the app.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2313
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
I plan to test this sometime during Christmas. I have one question: The SW riffs were all made prior to the SW blurays I think and the bluray releases contain a few new edits, so would these only work with the older dvd's?
Perhaps this is why kiemer above indicates a problem with the end of RotJ?
Also, is there an official place for feedback? The purpose of a "beta" is usually to get feedback, right? I don't see a feedback button in the app.

If it goes out of sync you can press a button on the app and it will listen and resync after about 30 seconds of dialog.  At least it always did when I was skipping chapters during my trial run.  I was using the Blu-Ray of A New Hope.

On the first post here there's a Google docs page linked for leaving feedback.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 448
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:54:37 AM »
Trying it out now on ANH. Seems to work fine, though I had to rig up something between my phone and sound bar, but I hope a version comes sooner or later where it's a Smart BD Player app and it plays the movie and does all of this automatically.

It's also a bit disappointing the app has to wait for dialogue before it starts the riff, wish it was possible for it to start with the opening Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox fanfare or it was possible to play it as soon as you start the movie (standard 1... 2... 3... start thing and then the app syncs/takes it from there.)

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
I have to admit, I was really excited for this app until I found out we were missing riffs while we wait for it to sync.  Not cool.  Still a great idea, but I won't be trying it out until I hear if that is fixed. 

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »
What's the latest on the beta testing of this app? Will it allow for more MP3 commentaries down the road?  8)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
Hooking it up to your library has been a stated goal.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »
I asked on Twitter about iRiff groups being able to have their riffs used on the app. But they said at this time that wasn't posible. Hopefully that would be a future enhancement.

Offline netrage

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:21 PM »
I've used it and saw there was an update lately that expands it past the first 6 Star Wars movies, just waiting for it to be able to link to my account so I can use the ones I already purchased!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 448
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
Yeah, it seems the accessible riffs has extended past the Star Wars ones, but doesn't seem to quite be their entire catalog.  It's possible to enter into your account, though you can't access your files through it. (At least I couldn't) but there seems to be the ability to "purchase" Riffs.  It also seems The Force Awakens isn't on there yet.

Still have problems with it when it comes to the icons, UI and such on the screen scrambling making navigation difficult if not impossible. Seems there's still some bugs to work out, like the program is still in Beta.

Offline netrage

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Hey, I was using it earlier when the only files available was the Star Wars movies, got the update recently which syncs it to your account, Sees my account, can grab files from it but now it seems the app no longer works. I hit the ply button, it says its listening but I never hear any riffing! It worked great before the update but now, nada. I deleted the data, removed the app, reinstalled app and still, nothing. Is this a known issue? This seems to be the only place that talks about this app which is why I posted here. If there is a better place, please point be to it because I could not find it!