login

Author Topic: POPEYE  (Read 4280 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Re: POPEYE
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »
Yeah I remember reading about how the cartoons really simplified everything since they couldn't trust the audience to know the backstories, and that they invented Bluto so Popeye'd have someone to fight in every cartoon without having to explain who he is.

Actually, I believe Bluto was in the comic strip first, but he was only in one story.  Incidentally, I live not too far from E.C. Segar's hometown of Chester, IL.  It's got a big Popeye statue.  It's also not to far from Metropolis, IL, the home of Superman.

I read that he was created by the original comic writer, at the request of Fliecher studios. He might have popped up in print first, but it was because of the cartoons.

I've not read that anywhere.  All that I've read is that Segar created him as a one-off villain for the comic strip and that the Fleischers subsequently decided to make him Popeye's main nemesis in the cartoons.  I've also read that for a time after the Fleischer cartoons stopped being produced, the character was slightly modified and renamed "Brutus" in other media because it was mistakenly believed that Paramount and Fleischer Studios owned the rights to the Bluto character, when in fact the rights resided with King Features Syndicate (the distributor of the comic strip) all along.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2582
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
I can't remember my source at all, so I could very well be wrong. Might as well be wikipedia at this point. I just remember I read it at the same time as reading about the Bluto/Brutus thing you mentioned, and I think it was because I was looking up potential PD cartoons to riff.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 633
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3418
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6654
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
We get this shit, and still no The Goon movie?! The test footage for that (done years ago!) looked immensely better than this.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
Interestingly, the sketches impressed me more than the animation.  I love Genndy Tartakovsky but from what I hear Hotel Transylvania was shockingly dull and while the sketches looked like the kind of thing I love (a mix of old time animation and Powerpuff Girl kinetic action) the test footage was just... alright.  I mean, it seems like it might be on the right track, but it didn't do anything particularly impressively.  Hoping that the finished product is stronger. 

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5730
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »