Author Topic: Coming Soon - Rifftrax Sync App  (Read 7537 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Coming Soon - Rifftrax Sync App
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »
So that's how it's going to work, the device listens for cues from the movie soundtrack, very cool.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »
I'm wondering if we'll be able to watch VODs from this app as well.  I hope so, but the syncing thing is super awesome either way.  Hopefully this means more MP3 trax in the future.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
Fantastic.  They announced this at the RTL special last night.  Now I can finally get my Cpt. America movie to properly sync!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2163
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
The downside to Rifftrax in a theater:

It's a big dramatic moment in a big movie. "WHY!?" screams the main character. "Please don't die on me!" The audience is in tears. Rifftrax cracks a joke that only I can hear and I laugh and laugh and everyone else just glares at me...

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
It happens.  I once told a joke in the middle of Chronicles of Riddick to a friend of mine and he broke out laughing hysterically.  Everyone in the theater wondered why.

Wasn't a big moment, wasn't dramatic, but everyone recovered just fine.  And then you can tell everybody why you were laughing afterwards.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 11
  • Electro-Syntho-Magnetic
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
I honestly won't being using it (I enjoy syncing and remuxing my own MKV files to drop into Plex), but this is still REALLY cool.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »
There's just no way that Rifftrax would get sufficient access to TFA to write a full rifftrax for it before it hits the cinemas.  That's a world of difference from a one off preview viewing for a review, that's like 9 screener copies in the wild.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »
I honestly won't being using it (I enjoy syncing and remuxing my own MKV files to drop into Plex), but this is still REALLY cool.

Same here. I use a Raspberry Pi 2 with Plex Media Server, and push my Rifftrax library from an external 3TB drive to my Amazon Fire TV with Plex Client installed.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2163
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »
There's just no way that Rifftrax would get sufficient access to TFA to write a full rifftrax for it before it hits the cinemas.  That's a world of difference from a one off preview viewing for a review, that's like 9 screener copies in the wild.
They could just buy tickets to watch the movie over and over while hammering out the script.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2104
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »
It's not like it will have a short theatrical run...
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
Which would be a crazy amount of work for a sub par product rushed out. Guess we will see.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 170
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
I think I'd only want to take riffs into the theater to listen to if it was a pretty sparsely populated showing, people might not appreciate me laughing my head off during a packed screening of The Force Awakens or something like that.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2104
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Which would be a crazy amount of work for a sub par product rushed out. Guess we will see.

I dunno. Depends how many viewings they currently give movies to write riffs. They might even be able to hire out a theatre just for themselves for the day. Heck, if they did that, it would be more of a classic MST3K style writer's room situation. No one would want to see it with the riff on their first viewing anyway, so it doesn't have to be out week one. And as I said, it will be screening for months.
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 960
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
They could just buy tickets to watch the movie over and over while hammering out the script.

Stepping on DG's toes, but I seem to recall a number of iRiff groups who did that with Twilight.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
It happens.  I once told a joke in the middle of Chronicles of Riddick to a friend of mine and he broke out laughing hysterically.  Everyone in the theater wondered why.

Wasn't a big moment, wasn't dramatic, but everyone recovered just fine.  And then you can tell everybody why you were laughing afterwards.

I laughed my ass off in Return of the King after about the fifth "ending". Lots of people were looking at me. I just couldn't believe IT WOULDN'T FREAKIN' END.

I kept my head down on the way out...