Author Topic: A Day of Thanksgiving - Now Available!  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
A Day of Thanksgiving - Now Available!
« on: November 26, 2015, 01:40:12 AM »

http://www.rifftrax.com/a-day-of-thanksgiving

When an Hour of Thanksgiving is not enough, but a Week of Thanksgiving is simply too much, may we suggest A Day of Thanksgiving?

Gather ‘round the Thanksgiving table for a 1950s feast from Young America Films. Fans of Young America Films know that, despite being heavily anti-Commie, they somehow feel like the grayest, bleakest Soviet shorts ever made. So, perfect for the holidays! Wash down that weird cranberry salad nobody actually likes with a tall glass of fear, shame, and forced conformity!

The short focuses on a family that, despite living in a large, well-furnished house, cannot afford a turkey for Thanksgiving. Did turkeys cost more than houses in the 50s? The only reasonable conclusion is: yes. The family patriarch makes everyone list all the things they’re thankful for, to take their minds off his failure as a provider. And it’s a sweet list: family, shelter, security… and freedom from shadowy “political gangsters dragging people off to jail.” That’s right, political gangsters. Man, if I had a dime for every Thanksgiving that got ruined by some of those political gangsters showing up and making a muck of things. They don’t even bring wine!

A Day of Thanksgiving is good for any day, including Thanksgiving. Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill at the table, and help fight fear with fear!

Offline dt55555

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
Re: A Day of Thanksgiving - Now Available!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »

Is the dad in this short also in the MST short "Using Your Voice"? I swear I've seen him before.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »

Is the dad in this short also in the MST short "Using Your Voice"? I swear I've seen him before.

he's probably in this and several other Centron shorts since they recycled the cheap Kansas talent

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »

Yep, he's the "headhunters" guy. He also has a credit for Why Study Industrial Arts?, but I don't remember him in that.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:17:02 PM »
"We have the freedoms and privileges that the Pilgrims gave us." WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »
So, wait, the family cannot afford a turkey for Thanksgiving, but the mother assures them they'll have other traditional Thanksgiving food items like pumpkin pie?  Now, I cannot speak for the 1940s/1950s but today a turkey is one of the cheapest things you can guy in order to feed a large group of people.  A 12-lb turkey can feed a good 10 people or so and costs around $1.80 per lb. (depending on brand, location, etc.) So for $20 or so you feed 10 people!   Were turkeys rarer and more expensive back then? How the heck could they not afford a turkey?!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
So, wait, the family cannot afford a turkey for Thanksgiving, but the mother assures them they'll have other traditional Thanksgiving food items like pumpkin pie?  Now, I cannot speak for the 1940s/1950s but today a turkey is one of the cheapest things you can guy in order to feed a large group of people.  A 12-lb turkey can feed a good 10 people or so and costs around $1.80 per lb. (depending on brand, location, etc.) So for $20 or so you feed 10 people!   Were turkeys rarer and more expensive back then? How the heck could they not afford a turkey?!
Turkeys may have been more expensive relative to other things back then, not sure. Considering the simplicity of the message the short was ham handedly trying to convey, you are probably thinking about it too much.

I also think that some of the Rifftrax comments about them having money for the house and not food may have been against the point too. For all we know, this family may be mortgaged to the gills like so many people, especially today.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:23:42 PM »
You're both forgetting political gangsters.  How expensive were those in the 50's??
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »
I found a web site that had historical turkey prices, seems the price between 1940 and 2002 was usually fairly steady around 35 cents a pound, dropping a bit to $0.25 in the 60s.  So adjust that for inflation and it was much more expensive back when this short was made.