login

Author Topic: Things got kind of weird on the Binding of Isaac subreddit the past few days  (Read 1455 times)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
So the developers of the game locked some content in the new DLC behind an elaborate ARG.  Here's a breakdown of everything that happened:
https://i.imgur.com/V2l5TaN.jpg

I think stuff like this is really cool.  I had a blast sitting and refreshing Reddit last night and watching some of this craziness play out.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1637
So the developers of the game locked some content in the new DLC behind an elaborate ARG.  Here's a breakdown of everything that happened:
https://i.imgur.com/V2l5TaN.jpg

I think stuff like this is really cool.  I had a blast sitting and refreshing Reddit last night and watching some of this craziness play out.

Completely missed this thread or else I wouldn't have posted about it in game news. This was an awesome read. I loved it.

I wish I had more time to unlock the new character, but it seems like that's going to take a bunch of runs.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 834
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
I can't say I'm a fan of these ludicrously obscure tasks required to unlock stuff. I still have no idea what the intended means of figuring out how to unlock the Lost was. Maybe it's fun for the handful of people who are that obsessed. But for myself, I almost hate to say it, but I'm glad there are data-miners. I have neither the patience, means nor time for this sort of thing. It's bad enough I have to feed such an insane number of coins into the Greed Machine, what with it constantly jamming. At the rate I'm going, I'll be done around 2020. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1637
Oh it's definitely not something I would ever be able to partake in. But I still find it entertaining, even more so than reading something like The Da Vinci Code, because it involves real people solving puzzles instead of an author solving his own puzzles.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
I can't say I'm a fan of these ludicrously obscure tasks required to unlock stuff. I still have no idea what the intended means of figuring out how to unlock the Lost was. Maybe it's fun for the handful of people who are that obsessed. But for myself, I almost hate to say it, but I'm glad there are data-miners. I have neither the patience, means nor time for this sort of thing. It's bad enough I have to feed such an insane number of coins into the Greed Machine, what with it constantly jamming. At the rate I'm going, I'll be done around 2020. 

Obviously most people won't have the desire or means to participate in something like this, but I think it's fun to watch play out.  I do agree with the Greed machine being bullshit, and I think most of the community does as well.  It's just a tedious grind.

Quantum Vagina

There is actually a pointer to the Lost in game, if I remember right. You have to realize that you need to kill yourself while holding the Mis sing Poster in a sacrifice room. When you die,you get a puzzle piece. The goal was to have the community work together to figure out the puzzle, as there were over 100 pieces.

I think the ARG is fantastic. I love it when companies do something like this, it builds up massive hype, and Isaac has had good puzzles in it in the past. Hell, the story is more or less a guessing game. I do wishe the Greed Machine was a bit nicer, though.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 834
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Here's a "fun" fact  :angry:. You can't exit out of a daily challenge. If you try to, you automatically fail, without warning. I was doing today's (Nov 19th) daily, and I got the Black Lotus for the first time ever. I had to leave the game for personal reasons, and lo and behold, that was "game over". A very promising daily cut short because the game didn't think it necessary to warn me that if I exited, that was tantamount to death.