Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3  (Read 2978 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »
At least the original was poorly written sci-fi fun... this new series just struck me as a poorly written plodding soap opera in space. I gave up after the first season when I realized they weren't going to concentrate on adventures for the crew but instead concentrate on internal character driven drivel that is no more sci-fi then freakin Desperate Housewives...

I took a science-fiction literature class in college (yes, that and taking a Shakespeare class when it wasn't required cements my nerd status). One of the first things we were told is that the best science fiction is nothing more than a vehicle for a story/lesson. Sure, there is fun to be had with sci-fi such as the original BSG and Star Wars (which is more science-fantasy), but what many consider to be serious sf (the appropriate abbreviation according to my prof.) is deeper than that. So in that regard, the new BSG series is much more serious sf than the old one was. Since I don't remember much of the old series (I was born in '77, after all), I can't attest to whether it's any more entertaining than the new one in my opinion. I can say that I can appreciate both "for fun" and "serious" science-fiction and I love BSG and can't wait for it to come back on the air.

As for Starbuck,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 07:59:39 AM »
Yea, I can definately understand the appeal of the new series. It's well acted and all the technical production is solid... it's just too... I dunno... filled with generic doom. Nothing good ever happens... who needs interesting aliens and whatnot? ... we'll just pound home the constant non-stop ridiculous amounts of people arguing. Maybe things have gotten better after the first season... but wow... right from the beginning when a single numeric code is all the Cylons needed to completely cripple all of humanity's defenses... I knew I was in for trouble. All of the "seriousness" is lost on me when the show is based around such a ludicrously dumb band of bickering humans that I couldn't care less about.

I thought that the first series did a better job just looking at your professor's criteria. For the most part, each episode was it's own self-contained story/lesson... kind of lke Star Trek:TOS. The characters were boradly defined archetypes that could be plugged into that week's required story/lesson. The focus was sharper. Sure, it was cheesy cornball goofiness a lot of the time... but it was an honest, simple effort that didn't feel the need to overdo the generic character driven melodrama. I guess I don't appreciate the "seriousness for the sake of itself" slant that modern sci-fi TV series have warped into over the last 20 years or so.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »

Just FYI - It's been announced that Season Four will be the last season.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 07:22:37 AM »
Finally.  For those of us who can only catch this on DVD, season 3 is scheduled to be released on March 25th.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2529
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
Amazon has Season 3 listed for release on March 18th.

And it's back on Universal HD, looks like they are starting with season one.  It's not on their own website schedule yet , but it's on others... I wonder if they will jump ahead when it's time and give us the season 4 episodes a week after they are on Sci-Fi like they did with season 3, or we may have a long wait until we get season 4 in HD.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Battlestar Gallactica Season Final........ SPOILERS
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 10:26:07 PM »
The closest thing I've gotten to watching Battlestar Galactica is Space Mutiny. And I'm okay with that.
If we're talking the new one...after the original mini-series....you and be both.

And after reading stuff like this....

Yes those 4 are cylons Ron Moore has confirmed it and they have a way to explain it all, the final 5 are different from all the others.

The dylan song taps into the whole this has all happened before and it will all happen again, i.e. it's set in the past/future/doesn't matter

I'm incredibly okay with it.