login

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
Battlestar Galactica: Season 3
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »

Sorry kids... i know this is old hat, but i just caught up to the season finale. And i'm like, slack-jawed! Too much, too much! Although, i have to admit that i'm a little peeved that the new season isn't scheduled to begin until early 2008. (In fact, i don't think they'll even begin to shoot until sometime next month.) But then again, i suppose that after that ending the writers will have to take that much time just to figure out how to procede with the whole series. Vicious stuff!

I can't help it... i'm fucking fracking addicted to this show!
(Yes, i know that was lame. Just shoot me now~)

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:36:40 AM »
I was impressed enough until that Dylan song showed up. Now I won't watch season 4 even if you paid me.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:48:23 AM »
Ah man, I was about to offer you $9,000 per episode, now I'll just have to burn it, oh well.

Seriously though what was wrong with the song, Moore explained that it was supposed to be that some one in the BSG universe wrote a song that just happened to be one that exists in the real world.  It fits into the whole, time is cyclical thing.  Plus if they have the same names for things like gun and helmet why can't they have the same songs?

If you can't wait till 2008, they are doing a BattleStar Pegasus Movie that'll air in September, it's supposed to have commander Cain in it but also the regular cast.  Ron Moore said it will tie into future episodes, maybe we'll see the civilian ship Cain cannibalized in season 4 or we'll see a copy of one of the final 4, who knows.

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:25:46 AM »

The song isn't a deal-breaker for me or anything, but it kinda' felt like it was out of place. I've listened to Moore's commentary myself, and he admits that All Along The Watchtower was a personal obsession of his for a long time... even to the point where he wanted to focus an entire episode of Roswell on it. So... yeah, i'll buy into the whole "time is cyclical" excuse because i really enjoy the show and the writing. But that song felt like it was wedged into the show when it really didn't belong just because of Moore's own personal affinity for it~

Anyway, thanks for the info on Pegasus! While i'd prefer they let that idea die and focus instead on more BSG, it will at least help pass the next year of waiting~

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:33:07 AM »
Oh yeah I totally agree that the music montage felt out of place, it kinda went against the shows style, but whatever.

When the 1st mentioned the Pegasus movie, I felt the same; "We already know this story, we were told it we don't need to see it".
But hopefully there's more to it then that... hopefully.

Offline robertraur

• Schnappi Supporter
  • And the wine flows....
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 06:38:36 AM »
Battlestar has too many good things going for it for me to ever throw an ultimatum on it.  Hands down, the best sci-fi  show currently running, until Futurama officially gets back on the air.
Anytime someone offers you 10,000 to 1 odds, you take it.
Lets just say if John Mellancamp ever wins an Oscar, I'll be a rich man.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:06:28 PM »
Ah man, I was about to offer you $9,000 per episode, now I'll just have to burn it, oh well.

Give it to Ronald Moore to buy some records made after 1975. Seriously, it'd be less fogeyish to pick Chattanooga Choo Choo  as the song to ruin your well-written show.

Seriously though what was wrong with the song, Moore explained that it was supposed to be that some one in the BSG universe wrote a song that just happened to be one that exists in the real world.  It fits into the whole, time is cyclical thing.  Plus if they have the same names for things like gun and helmet why can't they have the same songs?

As regards the song, it elevates what is a reasonably good Rock tune to something much more than that; it proposes that it is a work of art of such stature that it has some kind of timeless quality. I already feel Dylan is hideously overrated, and this is just over-the-top ridiculous. There is nothing transcendent about that song, using any metric beyond an unwarranted reverence for Dylan.

And it also cements something you mention above; that they are actually speaking English, rather than the English in the show simply being the language the show uses to present their communication to us. That is another deal-breaker for me. English may be the most prevalent language on Earth, but to think that it would be the only surviving (or at least primary) language of a splinter of humanity far removed in both time and space - in a pretty much unchanged 21st C version, no less - is not only ludicrous, but also gives the language the same unwarranted mythical status the song receives through this inane plot device.

I can't conceive of a single way to get out of that bind without either taking certain things for granted that I am explicitly opposed to (such as the unimpeachable genius of Bob Dylan) or backpedalling out of a lot of what happened in that episode. Either way, I'm no longer interested.

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 12:20:34 PM »

Well, for all the BS... at least it's not as cheesy as the original.

-Rude

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »
hahaha, excellent.

Offline Gooseboy

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 03:39:21 PM »
I was impressed enough until that Dylan song showed up. Now I won't watch season 4 even if you paid me.
Get over it!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 04:39:05 PM »
Get over it!

Why should I?

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »
The closest thing I've gotten to watching Battlestar Galactica is Space Mutiny. And I'm okay with that.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Battlestar Gallactica Season Final........ SPOILERS
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
WARNING...... SPOILERS

Some of us were wondering about the seaon finale of BSG where the "revealed" 4 of the 5 remaining Cylons.   Does anyone REALLY think that the 4 they revealed were cylons?    I am thinking that that at least a couple of them (the Colonel and the Chief) are not cylons and they were given some sort of drug or post hypnotic suggestion while under Cylon rule and they really are not cylons.

I mean, Col. Tye cannot be a cylon since he is Adama's oldest friend.   The only way he could be a cylon is if the toasters had that technology during the first war almost 40 years ago since Adama and him are old friends.   Either that or they made a Tye cylon, then kidnapped the real one recently.

And who is the fifth Cylon?   We think it is the President.   But, in the series finale, the cylons will learn they made their last cylons too good and they will turn on them and side with the humans.

And what is the meaning of having them all get a Bob Dylan song in their head?

And is Starbuck a ghost, a vision of Adama Jr, or what?

Thoughts, comments?

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
Re: Battlestar Gallactica Season Final........ SPOILERS
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »
Well back when it aired some people talked about it here:
http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php/topic,3173.0.html

Yes those 4 are cylons Ron Moore has confirmed it and they have a way to explain it all, the final 5 are different from all the others.

The dylan song taps into the whole this has all happened before and it will all happen again, i.e. it's set in the past/future/doesn't matter

You should listen to Ron Moore's commentaries they're very informative and entertaining:
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/season03/

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 10:10:52 PM »

Well, for all the BS... at least it's not as cheesy as the original.

-Rude

At least the original was poorly written sci-fi fun... this new series just struck me as a poorly written plodding soap opera in space. I gave up after the first season when I realized they weren't going to concentrate on adventures for the crew but instead concentrate on internal character driven drivel that is no more sci-fi then freakin Desperate Housewives...