Author Topic: Now Available! 90s Cyber Thrillers  (Read 2103 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 696
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Now Available! 90s Cyber Thrillers
« on: November 10, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-special-90s-cyber-thrillers

Time to grab a stack of floppy disks, or maybe 2 of those shiny “CD-ROMs” we’ve been hearing about, and boot up our very first RiffTrax Special! The topic? 90s Cyber Thrillers. What’s a RiffTrax Special, you may ask? That is a totally fair (and totally 90s!) question. For these Specials, we’ll select a theme and a few movies we’ve never riffed, cherry pick our favorite scenes and riff ‘em up, hot and fresh. And it’s all introduced and hosted by Mike, Kevin, and Bill, right there on your futuristic video screens! Just how the 90s would have wanted it.

Cyber thrillers, and in fact the very word “cyber”, ruled the 90s. And, since it was new to most people, ridiculous depictions of the internet ruled 90s movies. In this special, we take some of the biggest offenders to task. First up, Hackers, which unforgivably tried really hard to make the word “crispy,” and also Matthew Lillard, happen. Then we have The Lawnmower Man, which predicted that the future would mostly be about polygonal virtual reality sex between giant dragonflies. Spot on! And finally there’s The Net, in which Sandra Bullock uses chat rooms (whoa!), orders pizza from a site called “pizza.net” (who hasn’t?) and faces off against her cyber-tormentors on the floor of a computer trade show (nothing says “action” like paunchy men in Dockers!)

Get your sister to stop using the landline so you can dial up and join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for 90s Cyber Thrillers! And if you’ve got an idea for a theme we could use in a future Special, let us know!

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-special-90s-cyber-thrillers
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3807
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: Now Available! 90s Cyber Thrillers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
Picked this up recently, after being reminded about it following the opening of these new boards.  Man, I want full riffs of all of these.

Also, Matthew Lillard seems like a genuinely nice guy but the acting work of Matthew Lillard seems to be a pretty big impediment to enjoying his work (he's damned good at being Shaggy though).

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 279
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
Man, I want full riffs of all of these.

Yes!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:35:39 PM »
Full Hackers riff would be awesome.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 525
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »
Full Hackers riff would be awesome.

Agreed.  Know anyone that knows anyone at Rifftrax, for to spread the word? :highfive:
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2104
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:55:43 PM »
The Net is the one I want a full riff of.
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 279
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »

Yes, Hackers is goofy as hell, The Net was super serious.

Online Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 6
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:58:15 AM »
Oh these are clip compilations of things that were not previously riffed?  I thought these were, like, thematically linked existing riffs in a special bundle price.  I'll have to get these some time.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 05:59:02 AM »

Yes, Hackers is goofy as hell, The Net was super serious.

Angelina Jolie looked so odd in that movie with the short hair.  Almost.... elfin.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
Oh these are clip compilations of things that were not previously riffed?  I thought these were, like, thematically linked existing riffs in a special bundle price.  I'll have to get these some time.

They were new clips of previously unriffed stuff... I was so hoping they would all become full riffs but they never have, nor have they done any more specials since then....

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »

They were new clips of previously unriffed stuff... I was so hoping they would all become full riffs but they never have, nor have they done any more specials since then....
I thought that "Best of Rifftrax: Villains" was another one.  But from the description, it looks like it is just a clip show of already riffed stuff.  BORING.  And I've got the other specials (although I kind of think "The Night Dracula Saved the World" is just another short and put it in one of my Shorts compilation DVDs.