Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 8739 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
Hmm, I didn't notice any pixelation, but then I only played for a little over an hour before I had to go to work and I was playing in first person.  I did notice that it failed to identify my GTX 470 which shouldn't have been a problem and automatically set everything to low.  Unlike F3's incredibly annoying obstinence however, it let me raise my video settings after the initial autodetect.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
Hmm, I didn't notice any pixelation, but then I only played for a little over an hour before I had to go to work and I was playing in first person.  I did notice that it failed to identify my GTX 470 which shouldn't have been a problem and automatically set everything to low.  Unlike F3's incredibly annoying obstinence however, it let me raise my video settings after the initial autodetect.

It set me to low as well, which was quite strange, I've never had any game do that. I may not have the most powerful machine, but I think LOW is a bit of a stretch... I set it to Ultra and it gets the same FPS as High, so it's not too big of a deal. I've been messing with the settings for a while to try and increase my FPS, but I may have to settle for playing it like a peasant T_T

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »
I have almost always had problems with shadows with every card I've ever had.  You might try setting everything to ultra but turning shadows off.  It's what I do with most games.  It's almost like I can set everything to max with shadows off, but turn shadows to low and everything gets craptastic at the lowest settings.  But yeah, they did do a good job with framerate with how much stuff they display on screen outside.

I have to get a new mouse.  Microsoft broke my mousewheel a few weeks back and I haven't been able to make it work properly.  Wasnt too much of a problem until I discovered that selecting items in F4 requires a mousewheel.  I've tried scanning for viruses (of course MS never takes responsibility), looking for newer drivers (none of course), and uninstalling and reinstalling the current ones.  Ugh.  Guess I'll pony up the extra dough and go back to Logitech.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
Forgot to mention that my friend went to Target to buy Nuka-Cola this morning.  He got there at 9am.  Apparently, a crowd of people in Vault Suits and Wastelander gear was waiting at 7am to buy Nuka-Cola.  Their were 19 people wearing costumes, and the store had six bottles.  So much for hoping to buy a couple to drink and a couple to save!

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
So I have noticed my weapon and crosshairs both disappearing occasionally.  Holstering and rearming fixes it.  Dogmeats walked through walls a couple times although he hasn't gotten stuck yet.  Got stuck in radiated water trapped between a tree and a rock and had to reload.  Very minor stuff, not as bad as previous release issues.  I don't hate the graphics like some other people have said...

Except...dear god, the PC interface and controls are the worst Bethesda release ever.  I sure hope someone fixes or mods them soon. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »
The controls are kind of awful. It plays smoothly in game but the UI appears to have been designed by a person who's never used a computer before. Also Dogmeat walking through walls is normal. I've had him float away into the sky and his legs come out of his back, classic Bethesda jank. It feels about as janky as Fallout 3 but not as bad as New Vegas was at launch. I had numerous game baking bugs in New Vegas. I'm making sure to save often to different files because I can totally see this game breaking. I think Bethesda should ditch the Creation engine and start a new one from scratch. The current Creation engine is a modification of the same engine they used all the way back for Morrowind.

I got a ton of extra performance by turning of AA and forcing 4X CSAA in Nvidia. It also looks better IMO. 90% of the time the game runs at 60fps with everything else high or maxed but the other 10% is rough. I've had it drop as low as 35 a few times which is very noticeable when it's from 60.

Even with all the classic Bethesda problems, which should have been fixed by know, I LOVE this game. It is more Fallout but more fleshed out. I'm enjoying the living hell out of it and I suspect I will log many, many more hours in it.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:33:10 AM »
The controls are kind of awful. It plays smoothly in game but the UI appears to have been designed by a person who's never used a computer before. Also Dogmeat walking through walls is normal. I've had him float away into the sky and his legs come out of his back, classic Bethesda jank. It feels about as janky as Fallout 3 but not as bad as New Vegas was at launch. I had numerous game baking bugs in New Vegas. I'm making sure to save often to different files because I can totally see this game breaking. I think Bethesda should ditch the Creation engine and start a new one from scratch. The current Creation engine is a modification of the same engine they used all the way back for Morrowind.

I got a ton of extra performance by turning of AA and forcing 4X CSAA in Nvidia. It also looks better IMO. 90% of the time the game runs at 60fps with everything else high or maxed but the other 10% is rough. I've had it drop as low as 35 a few times which is very noticeable when it's from 60.

Even with all the classic Bethesda problems, which should have been fixed by know, I LOVE this game. It is more Fallout but more fleshed out. I'm enjoying the living hell out of it and I suspect I will log many, many more hours in it.
Currently a love-hate relationship for me.  Well, that's too strong.  A love/severe angst throw-keyboard-against-wall-in-frustration relationship due to the UI.  I just want to kill things, but I've spent nearly all my time trying to figure out the UI and dealing with crafting.

Is there an EASY way to scrap uniforms and junk?  Game's too new to search for it.  Everyone/thing says to scrap junk, but you can't scrap any junk or 90% of armor (but 10% of armor you can? so weird) in a workbench.  Storing it doesnt scrap it either.  From what I've figured, you have to carry it all the way to a settlement area, drop it all on the ground, enter the settlement menu, target each item and then scrap it individually.  Glad I've found a way, but that is SUCH a headache.  Hoping someone has a better way to just "scrap all junk" or figures out why you can't scrap most of the armor at the bench.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
So, I DID figure out why most armor couldn't be scrapped at the armor workstation.  Even though low level raider gear will give you leather if scrapped, it's not considered "armor" but "clothing"...even though it's in your armor tab.  So...drop and scrap at a settlement seems to be the answer.

In addition, Junk stored in a workstation is supposed to "auto-scrap" if you're building stuff and the game determines scrapping it will yield the components it needs.  However, doing this means the game will often go "1 screw is needed, scrapping this gives a screw!", scrap the item, and lo and behold you don't get the 8 steel, 2 aluminum, 2 rubber and circuitry that you would ALSO get from manually scrapping it.  People have been reporting different experiences with this...seems manual scrapping is the incredibly slow and annoying but safe way to go about it.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 01:43:35 AM »
All "junk" in inventory or stored in work benches is automatically converted to materials while crafting. If you look at junk item in your inventory it will tell you what components it's made of.

I spent some time confused about this. There was nothing mentioned in the game about how this system works.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
Yes!  Kitties!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXdNj6Hmg2w

Gonna have to catch em all when I get home...

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
I think that all Fallout 4 is making me want is to play New Vegas again. There's just not enough cowboys and too much power armor.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4870
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
Ok, that is friggen hilarious.  Ghouls are so fast in this one, and the collision and physics effects are way better.  I'm sure everyones seen Dogmeats takedowns, but one of the funniest things I've seen is Dogmeat running to attack a ghoul, and a second ghoul charging me TRIPS over him and goes flying like a 5-year old at a dog park. 

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 01:23:52 AM »
I was in a long dialog with my companion Goodsprings and five people just wouldn't stop walking through pushing my companion and I out of the way, I couldn't stop laughing through the whole thing. With the exception of one crash all of my glitches have been of the funny variety.