Author Topic: Measuring Man Now Available!  (Read 706 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Measuring Man Now Available!
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »

http://www.rifftrax.com/measuring-man

By day, he’s a mild-mannered milkman with thick-rimmed glasses. But, when duty calls, he becomes something even less thrilling - Measuring Man! Does he remove the thick-rimmed glasses when he becomes Measuring Man? No he does not! Apparently when your only powers involve measurement education, you don’t have to worry about super-villains figuring out your alter ego. Besides, look at him, he definitely needs those glasses.

In this measuring adventure, our hero teaches young Tommy the basics of, well, measuring. Tommy has somehow survived to the age of nine without learning concepts like “bigger” or “smaller.” Fortunately, Measuring Man is here to help. He uses his terrifying cosmic powers to whisk Tommy from the safety of his kitchen off to Measuring Land, a place beyond all imagination, assuming your imagination operates at the level of a hastily-planned middle school play. But that’s not all Measuring Man has! He also sports a belt full of measuring objects that are, well… suggestively shaped? Suffice to say, if you want to take the measure of a man, Measuring Man is your man.

First performed live to immeasurable laughter at our Miami Connection live show, now available as a studio riff, join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for Measuring Man!

Offline Polonium

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Re: Measuring Man Now Available!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
Ummmmmmmmmmm...... huh? :o

Okay, I have no idea what I just watched. I don't know what was worse, the idea of a middle aged man cavorting with a young boy in a weird fantasy land with large tools hanging off his belt, or the sheer condescending tone and superficial focus of this short regarding the subject matter. Putting aside the creepy part, what the hell was anyone supposed to learn from this? They put out a sketchy short, endorsed by a college academic, telling students that it is perfectly normal for middle aged men dressing up as a superhero and spending time alone with gullible unsupervised elementary school students. I know that the American school year is unusually long compared to other industrial countries, with excessive instruction time needing to be killed. I know that American educators during the 1970s pretty much stopped caring, and started applying a Darwinian methodology to their students. But this is a new low even for this period.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
Re: Measuring Man Now Available!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »
What's odd to me is that the short simply only seems to explain the concept of measuring. Why we do it, why we use different units for different types of measurements, etc. but without every really explaining anything at all on how to make use of those measurements or what they mean.  So, great, now the kid knows that things like a foot, pints, yards and ounces exist but what's he supposed to do with *that* information?

It's also baffling they picked a kid who looks like he's in middle-school to be the one whose ignorant about measurement units. Kid, if you've not gotten them at this age you might as well accept your lot in life, go to vocational school and learn how to inflate tires.