Author Topic: Gimme your recommendations!  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
Re: Gimme your recommendations!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
Mickey Spillane. 

That is, if you can handle the political incorrectness and the whole "dames is a ticket ta trouble" thing.  Very 40's.  Cool stuff.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
Here's what I know I like:
Heinlein - pretty much the same reasons I like Card. I dig the "hard" science fiction aspect of his work. (As a nursing major for two years I totally appreciate the scientific approach. I also liked how his work centers heavily on social themes.

Here's what I would prefer to avoid:
Series (at least lengthy series, trilogies are cool) - I like everything in a neat little package. One book is fine, thank you. I don't need to read fifty of them with the same characters.

Based on those two criteria alone, I HIGHLY recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. The three books are titled, in order: Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy

It is an amazing trilogy that covers a fairly realistic theme of the "near-future" colonization and terraforming of Mars. Also, though it is a trilogy, it does not in my opinion simply continue the story ("simply" being the keyword here) as each book covers a distinct and separate period of Mars' transformation into a habitable planet, taking it from harsh and barren (Red Mars), to supporting plant life (Green Mars), to finally having oceans (Blue Mars).

But that's putting it too simply as the series also delves into various other themes. The politics in the creation of a new human world, both for the people living there and the influence of Earth is one of those themes, and mixed with that is the influence of the original colonists and the growth of new societies, mixed with old ones coming from earth. Likewise is the theme of ecological preservation of the planet's natural state. And then there's the pure science of terraforming mars and the massive projects required to do so. Heating the planet with various schemes of CO2 increase and massive space mirrors, the introduction of genetically engineered life forms (both plant and animal) to suit the environment, the changing of the landscape by bringing in more water, and so many more little and big things throughout the trilogy. It even covers the effects of the weaker gravity of Mars in the generations of humans born there, and all sorts of other scientific goodies like space elevators.

There's so many small things mixed with the big things that it all adds up to some of the best and realistic science fiction I've ever read. Although I must note that because of the realistic science and other things that it tends to be a "dry" read. It's not a series for those who enjoy "flare" and "dashing drama" so to speak. But still... a VERY worthwhile series to read.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 08:15:36 AM »
Mickey Spillane. 

That is, if you can handle the political incorrectness and the whole "dames is a ticket ta trouble" thing.  Very 40's.  Cool stuff.

Well, dames is a ticket ta trouble...

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »
Mickey Spillane. 

When I check this board, I always look forward to seeing what you have to say, Shark :)  And if you quote me.  haha
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 08:32:44 AM »
Mickey Spillane. 

When I check this board, I always look forward to seeing what you have to say, Shark :)  And if you quote me.  haha

Well, shucks. I've taken it upon myself to keep this forum as cheezy as possible. The Shat over there inspires me.

Offline bluefalcon74

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
The only two books I couldn't put down were Starship Troopers (Heinlein) and Shogun (Clavell)

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • (see: pointed simian)
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »
The Skinner by Neal Asher
Gridlinked by Neal Asher

Two great novels to start of with by a talented new author.  Asher has 7 books set in the same universe, so there's more to read if you enjoy the first.  Check amazon if you have troubles finding these; they're not all that well known outside of scifi specialty shops in my area.