login

Author Topic: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown  (Read 41896 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
Kevin Smith isn't in that movie

Maybe he saw Catch and Release by mistake.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1580
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Kevin Smith isn't in that movie

Maybe he saw Catch and Release by mistake.

Would have made his post only slightly more out of the blue
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
COOL website

Welcome to the Arcade Ambience Project Page!  As a child of the 80s, I will never forget the feeling of walking into a crowded arcade -- the sounds, smells, excitement, etc. This page is dedicated to recreating the audio portion of that experience in the form of a long, non-looping ambient audio track.

http://arcade.hofle.com/

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2015, 10:21:38 PM »
Hung william

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1096
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
#8 (Tie) – NBA Jam

63 Points, 4 Lists, Top Vote: #4 ScottotD

Production Date: 1993
Manufacturer: Midway

Boomshakalaka!

Before there was NFL Blitz. Before there was WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. Before there was Open Ice 2-on-2 Challenge (yeah, I've never heard of it either), there was NBA Jam. It's 2 on 2 Basketball the way it was meant to be played: No BS fouls, no pussy free throws, and real life NBA stars who can jump three times their own height. Okay, so it wasn't realistic 2 on 2 Basketball, but it was what fans wanted to see. I'm not even a fan of Basketball, and even I liked it.

"Total Carnage", the followup to Smash TV, failed to live up to Midway's expectations (Unfortunate. That game kicks ass), so they were looking to capitalize on one of their other previous successes. In this case: "Arch Rivals". Mark Turmell pitched a game to the NBA, one that included tips from coaches, instant replays, and first person "fast breaks" (On a completely unrelated note, check out the pinball game "NBA Fastbreak" if you ever get the chance. Also kicks ass). None of that made it into the game. However, Midway did agree to pay the NBA $100 in royalties per unit sold, and money talks. So, what did make it into the game? A lot of hacking, spectacular dunks and nearly impossible 3 pointers. And if a team made three baskets in a row, they would be "On Fire!", making even the most ludicrous shots and dunks possible.

NBA Jam: Tournament Edition was released in '94, adding a third reserve player and updated rosters, initially including some Mortal Kombat characters. These, and some other characters, such as The Grim Reaper, were removed at the request of the NBA. TE was followed by NBA Hangtime, Maximum Hangtime and Showtime: NBA on NBC.

Fun Facts:

The original NBA Jam covered the '92-'93 NBA season. However, since Michael Jordan held the rights to his own name, not the NBA, he was not included in the game.

Lead designer and Detroit Pistons fan Mark Turmell, rigged the game in favor of the Pistons if it ever came down to the wire against the Chicago Bulls.

Shawn Kemp and Shaquille O'Neal were fans of the game, and owned NBA Jam cabinets.

Gary Payton wanted to be in the game so badly that he sent photos of himself and Michael Jordan to Mark Turmell, saying "We want to be in the game, hook us up". Midway made a personalized version of the game that included a team consisting of Michael Jordan and Gary Payton, in which they both had super-star stats. These are ultra-rare, and I can't even guess how much they would be worth today.

I can't verify the accuracy of the following: In NBA Jam ver 1.0, there was a code that allowed you to play Battlezone without putting in any money. Hold the player 1 joystick in the down-left position, and the player 2 joystick in the down-right position and then hold down both shoot and pass buttons for each player. The code definitely exists, but I can't confirm that this is it. At any rate, the trick was removed from all later versions of the game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IE8FLtt6u_0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IE8FLtt6u_0</a>

Up next, the rare example of a game MORE successful than the movie it's based on.     

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
Is it the shoes?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

soguru

« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »
Is it the shoes?
I think the more important question is where the hell is my NBA PB and J?!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3858
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »
NBA Jam made me play a sports game. That right there is testament to its incredible awesomeness.

Anyone ever try the new one they released on consoles a couple years back? Does it hold up? Should I track it down?

soguru

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »
NBA Jam made me play a sports game. That right there is testament to its incredible awesomeness.

Anyone ever try the new one they released on consoles a couple years back? Does it hold up? Should I track it down?
Sure, why not? NBA jam is always certifiably fun. I don't know if you're into the NFL blitz series but I do NOT recommend the re-release of that particular game.

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
It's always been a lifelong dream to quit my job and work in an arcade but I'm scared of change.

I went to the arcade and won a free game so I took home a pinball machine.

Why do you always see gingers at the arcade?  It's the only chance they get to stick something in a slot.

My friend was really bummed out when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.  On the plus side he now holds the record for the 100 meter dash on Track and Field.

Why did Ash get arrested?  Because while you were in the bathroom he took a Pikachu.

What does a gorilla wear to the beach?  A Donkey Thong.

I used to play Gauntlet but I took a vagina to the dick.

Yo mama so stupid she bought tickets to Xbox Live.

Yo mama so ugly when she play Mortal Kombat, Scorpion said "Stay over there".

Video games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music...

soguru

« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
I think I was probably one of the weird kids in the mid to late 90's. I never got into NBA jam. I do remember that even though the SNES had a leg up on the Genesis in SO many ways, Genesis had ports of the Mortal Kombat games that were as faithful as electronically possible. That being said... I'll take the SNES over the Genesis any day.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »

[/quote

I have it in my phone and it seems exactly like the arcade
Scottotd on Instagram

soguru

« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:45 PM »
I'd have to get one of those controllers that plugs into your phone to play games because I don't like using a touch screen for the controls.

Online CJones

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
#6 – TRON

68 Points, 4 Lists, Top Vote: #2 Soguru

Production Date: 1982
Manufacturer: Bally Midway

I have to admit, this didn't even occur to me when I was making my list. But it's a good pick. For one, it has the distinction of being the extremely rare example of a video game based on a movie, that was actually more successful than the movie itself. It has a very distinct cabinet, featuring a back-lit picture of the MCP, a black light just below the monitor and a cool "pseudo-circuitry" art style. Also, a huge blue joystick that, while not lit itself, was transparent enough for the light to show through.

The game is actually four different games, that had to be playable using one set of controls. So, a joystick with a trigger, atypically on the right, and a wheel on the left used for aiming in three of the parts. I assume that the reason the joystick is on the right is because the wheel isn't used in the light cycle part. You could play the parts in any order, but you had to finish all four before moving to the next difficulty level.

The Light Cycles - The iconic part, and the only part that's a game IN the movie. Though in the game in the movie they can be seen going diagonally, whereas in the actual game, and in the movie sequence that is supposed to represent this fictional game, they only go horizontally or vertically. In retrospect, it might have made more sense if you used the wheel to control your speed. The way it's done instead, using the trigger, seems kind of clumsy. There actually are set patterns for each level that, if you follow, guarantee you will win.

The MCP Cone -  Why yes you're correct, there is nothing called the "MCP Cone" in the movie. This is an instance where the final movie differed from the script Midway was given to work with. Other than that, it's sort of like a cross between Breakout and Phoenix. The blocks wrap around the back side of the cone, which you can't see, before reappearing again on the front. A neat way of faking 3D.

The Tanks - You lumber through a maze in a tank, shooting at other tanks. The AI can't "see" you unless you line up exactly vertically or horizontally with one of them, which tends to make this trivially easy. Every 3-5 levels the Tanks will be replaced with "Recognizers". They can't shoot, but they move much faster.

The I/O Tower - Here is where the game differs drastically from the movie. The entire Grid Bug sequence was cut from the movie. They're mentioned in passing, and there's a brief shot of them, then they're never mentioned again. Midway was expecting this to be a major set piece in the movie. By the time they found out it had been cut it was too late to take out. Ironically, the Discs part, which WAS a major set piece in the movie, was cut from the game because they couldn't finish it in time. That went on to be the wholly separate game "Discs of TRON", released the next year.

Fun Discs of TRON fact, THIS exists:

This is the "Environmental" cabinet for Discs of TRON. They're exceedingly rare now because Midway failed to design them with any means to remove the environmental half, so arcade operators began literally cutting them in half to fit in their arcades. Midway even released a kit to do just that. And people were just throwing the back half away. Three speaker surround sound, gone. I've only ever seen one of these, and that was back in the 80s.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p0fvsRWFYlI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p0fvsRWFYlI</a>

Up next, the fourth most popular beat 'em up on this list.

Online CJones

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:33 PM »
Ironically, I forgot to post anything yesterday because I was watching "The Wizard"  :P