login

Author Topic: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown  (Read 40231 times)

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
Re: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »
I don't know if they've been mentioned already because I'm too lazy to search, but I spent a ton of dough on both the vector-graphics Star Wars arcade game and Magic Sword.  I almost bought a Nintendo because they did a Magic Sword port.  Almost, but not quite.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »
#41 (Tie) – Tekken Tag Tournament 2

25 Points, 1 List, Top Vote: #1 Johnny Unusual

Production Date: 2011
Manufacturer: Bandai Namco

Now here's a game I know virtually nothing about. The International Arcade Museum doesn't even have a listing for it, and I had to Google it to verify that it was in fact ever released in arcade form. I did play the original TTT, which came soon after Tekken 3, and I know it was basically "dream match" mashing together characters from all previous Tekken games, dismissing all story line continuity. So you could have Jun and Jin in the same game at about the same age, even though Jun is Jin's mother. I stopped following Tekken after 5, But I'll assume TTT2 is the same deal. The arcade version has 44 playable characters. An updated version, called "Unlimited" was also released, which included a "Pair Play" mode where four players could play simultaneous, as two teams of two. This concept carried over to Street Fighter X Tekken.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1B3qMlI_B7g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1B3qMlI_B7g</a>

Fun Fact: Tekken used to be considered a "dumbed down" version of Virtua Fighter. However, starting with Tekken 5, some of the designers from Virtua Fighter started working on Tekken as well. This is most visually noticeable with the addition of throw escape animations in Tekken 5, something Virtua Fighter had long had. Now they are considered comparable at high level play.

Up next: Who needs buttons?

Offline CJones

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 01:36:40 PM »
I don't know if they've been mentioned already because I'm too lazy to search, but I spent a ton of dough on both the vector-graphics Star Wars arcade game and Magic Sword.  I almost bought a Nintendo because they did a Magic Sword port.  Almost, but not quite.

They haven't yet, but at least one of them will be later on  ;)

Offline CJones

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
#41 (Tie) – Robotron 2084

25 Points, 1 List, Top Vote: #1 Hung William

Production Date: 1982
Manufacturer: Williams Electronics

Before there was The Binding of Isaac. Before there was Smash TV. There was the original twin-stick shooter, Robotron 2084.

Game designer Eugene Jarvis was a big fan of Berzerk. But he wasn't a fan of Berzerk's control scheme, where you could only fire in the direction you were moving. He noticed however that if you held the fire button down, your character would remain stationary, and you could aim with the stick. After breaking his right hand in an auto accident, making pushing buttons difficult, he had the idea: Instead of a fire button, use a second joystick for firing. This way the player could fire and move independently of each other. And so he created Robotron.

The "plot" of Robotron is that cybernetics have turned against humanity. Your job is to destroy the cybernetic lifeforms, and their robot hordes, while rescuing the "last human family", which has a lot more Mommies and Daddies than your typical family. Humans that are captured by one of the Cybernetic Brains would be reprogrammed ("Assimilated", so to speak) and become enemy "Progs".

There was a Robotron 2 in the works, but the video game crash of the 80s shut that down. The sequel was never finished.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/T9kXKzYorFo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/T9kXKzYorFo</a>

Fun fact: The child in the game is named "Mikey" after the character from the Life cereal commercials.

Another fun fact (Copy/Pasted from KLOV):
There is an easter egg hidden in the game with the games credits. To exploit this easter egg, you must execute the following commands during gameplay

Move the "move" joystick right and the "fire" joystick up and press the one player start button.
    Move the "move" joystick up and the "fire" joystick down and press the two player start button.
    Move the "move" joystick down and the "fire" joystick up.

When the last sequence has been entered, the credits will be displayed until the "fire" joystick is moved from the up position. These sequences must be done within a quarter of a second of each other. You can hold a sequence as long as you like, but when you let it go, you must execute the next sequence within a quarter of a second.

Up next, "professional" driver simulator.

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
They actually did do a sequel to Robotron called LLamatron.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM2TZTGc5F8

Offline CJones

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
#41 (Tie) – Crazy Taxi

25 Points, 1 List, Top Vote: #1 TeamRAD

Production Date: 1999
Developer: Hitmaker
Manufacturer: Sega

Marginally more crazy than actual NYC cab drivers. The game takes place on one open world map, someplace resembling California. You had to pick up fares, the take them to their desired destination within a certain amount of time. And if you could do while performing stunts, weaving in and out of traffic, and generally doing everything that would get your license suspended IRL, so much the better.

The first production models were sit down cabinets:

But, stand up versions were later produced as well. The game ran on Sega's NAOMI hardware. That's "New Arcade Operation Machine Idea". The same hardware that was used in the Dreamcast, albeit with much less video and sound memory. The music was composed and performed almost entirely by the bands "Bad Religion" and "The Offspring". The game was a huge hit, and spawned many sequels and clones. One of which, "The Simpsons:Road Rage", was so much of a clone that Sega actually sued Fox Interactive over it in 2001. The case was settled out of court.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OehDijB6A7k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OehDijB6A7k</a>

That's not the arcade version, but holy shit!

Fun fact: If you press start holding down both the brake and the accelerator, while also in reverse. The game will start with you facing the other way, and routes to pick up and drop off rares will be completely different.

Next up: a truly multi-lingual game.   

Offline CJones

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
#38 – Strider

26 Points, 2 Lists, Top Votes: #13 Soguru & CJones

Production Date: 1989
Manufacturer: Capcom

Known as "Strider Hiryu" (flying dragon) in Japan, Strider is based on a little known (outside Japan) 1988 manga of the same name. Contrary to popular belief, the NES Strider game was never intended to be a port of the arcade game. Both games were developed at the same time. Capcom struck a deal with manga conglomerate Moto Kikaku whereby the two games and the manga would all serve to promote each other.

The design of the game itself is, and this is my personal experience, bizarrely, but memorably didactic. You play as a "ninja" with an energy sword called the "Cypher" that you use to slice through everything. Literally. And for such a short game, there was a wide range of characters and settings, from cybernetic Soviet Centipedes to Amazons with dinosaurs to Chinese acrobats and even an honest to God Sky Pirate. And of course, the villain is a wizard, The Grandmaster, 'cause why not? There was also very dynamic music. And of course the cutscenes, which were reminiscent of drastically condensed Ninja Gaiden cutscenes. And by condensed, I mean characters, who are voiced in their appropriate languages incidentally, actually step on each other's lines.

Oh, and you have a robot panther.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qVOOiCFktU4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qVOOiCFktU4</a>

Fun fact: The dynamic score for the game was composed entirely by one woman,  Junko Tamiya, who was not credited.

Next up, the least fuel efficient car ever.

Offline CJones

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
#37 – Road Blasters

27 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #9 Pak-Man

Production Date: 1987
Manufacturer: Atari

If there's any plot to this game, I don't know what it is. The game is a series of 50 rallies. You're only goal in each one: Don't run out of fuel. Which is a problem, considering your car can burn through an entire tank in less than 30 seconds. Your car can blow up as many times as you like, but run out of fuel and it's game over. So how do you keep from running out? Partly by picking up fuel "spheres" (I don't know why they're spheres), But more importantly, by racking up a lot of points. Each rally, you start with a set amount of fuel, plus however much you have left in your Reserve Tank from the previous level. At the end of each level, you're awarded reserve fuel, based on your score.

So how do you rack up a high score? By NOT holding down the fire button. The game has a score multiplier that goes up when you destroy other cars, but goes down if you hit nothing. Fire constantly and you'll be stuck at x1. Also, crashing into roadside turrets is actually more worthwhile than trying to shoot them. Every once in a while, a glider would come by and give you a special weapon for no particular reason. Such as the UZ cannon, the Cruise missile or the Electrobarrier. I never felt that any of them were actually worth using, but I also never finished the game, so I could be wrong.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JC3mnVN7aNM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JC3mnVN7aNM</a>

Fun fact: Road Blasters was the game in Wreck-It Ralph that Turbo tried to "invade"

Another fun fact: There was a Laserdisc game called Road Blaster (no s) made by Nihon Bussan released in 1985, two years before Road Blasters. I'm not aware of any connection, but the car you drive is suspiciously similar looking.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ciMTAcqdh4o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ciMTAcqdh4o</a>

Next up, speaking of Nihon Bussan... 

Offline CJones

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
BTW, just for kicks, try looking up Nihon Bussan on Wikipedia. Here's an excerpt:

Space Invaders to launch the like is a copy game Moon Base also filed in the Taito, Nihon Bussan is to settle by paying a license fee.[7] Also in 1979, was business alliance Namco is a work of the name Galaxian did on violation exceeded production in the manufacturing agreement referred to as Moon Alien in filed in Namco by was released, Nihon Bussan was settled by paying the excess of the license fee.[8] Then, it is released to continue to hit works such as 1980 The original work Moon Cresta (shooting) and Crazy Climber (action).[9] The same year, Nihon Bussan in companies brochure issued by, the Table Attacker, Moon Base, Moon Alien both, it was listed as an original work of Nihon Bussan.

Nihon Bussan. When you just can't be bothered to hire someone who actually speaks English to proofread your Wikipedia page.

soguru

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
I'm really liking this list so far, lots and lots of variety.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5889
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »
Not surprised I was the only vote for Tekken Tag 2, but last year when I was living in Korea, I played the hell out of this, even opening up an account to customize my characters with a special card (You swipe your card so every time you play, you win in game money to buy new costumes and costumize the colors on the costumes you had).

I always played with my luchadore duo of King and Jaycee (who was the character of Michelle with new lucha-moves).

Offline CJones

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
# 36 (Tie) – Crazy Climber

28 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #2 Stethacantus

Production Date: 1980
Manufacturer: Nihon Bussan (licensed by Taito in the US)

This is easily Nihon Bussan's (under the trade name Nichibutsu) most famous game. I've seen the game, but only played it once, when I was about 10. It was a dual joystick game, predating Robotron by about 2 years. But it's not a twin stick shooter. Rather, each stick controls one of your arms. It's a rather ingenious idea that I can't remember ever being used in any other game outside of sequels and knock-offs.

You play as a Skyscraper Climber. You're tasked with climbing up a serious of four enormous skyscrapers, manipulating each of your hands/arms independently as you reach for handholds on the building's many windowsills. But there's a catch: the window must be open. Windows close and open at random, and if a window closes on your finger, you'll lose your grip. Meanwhile, the denizens of the building will engage in the worst act of throwing garbage out into the street since medieval times. Seriously, where did the trope of dropping flower pots out of windows come from? But it's not just flower pots, but also jars and cans. You also get pelted with barbells(?) and I-beams, Vulture poop, billboards, King Kong (no really). Fortunately the worlds largest helium balloon is also out there to safely carry you up higher on this deathtrap.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RCrAAIEnSYI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RCrAAIEnSYI</a>

Annoying fact: If you don't move for several seconds, the game will start yelling "Go for it!". And when you make it to the top and grab the helicopter, the game screams "<something unintelligible!>"Also, somebody there must have really liked Henry Mancini, because it uses both the "Pink Panther" theme and "Baby Elephant Walk".

Next up, the hardest game ever (not really)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
# 36 (Tie) – Crazy Climber

28 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #2 Stethacantus

Production Date: 1980
Manufacturer: Nihon Bussan (licensed by Taito in the US)

This is easily Nihon Bussan's (under the trade name Nichibutsu) most famous game. I've seen the game, but only played it once, when I was about 10. It was a dual joystick game, predating Robotron by about 2 years. But it's not a twin stick shooter. Rather, each stick controls one of your arms. It's a rather ingenious idea that I can't remember ever being used in any other game outside of sequels and knock-offs.

You play as a Skyscraper Climber. You're tasked with climbing up a serious of four enormous skyscrapers, manipulating each of your hands/arms independently as you reach for handholds on the building's many windowsills. But there's a catch: the window must be open. Windows close and open at random, and if a window closes on your finger, you'll lose your grip. Meanwhile, the denizens of the building will engage in the worst act of throwing garbage out into the street since medieval times. Seriously, where did the trope of dropping flower pots out of windows come from? But it's not just flower pots, but also jars and cans. You also get pelted with barbells(?) and I-beams, Vulture poop, billboards, King Kong (no really). Fortunately the worlds largest helium balloon is also out there to safely carry you up higher on this deathtrap.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RCrAAIEnSYI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RCrAAIEnSYI</a>

Annoying fact: If you don't move for several seconds, the game will start yelling "Go for it!". And when you make it to the top and grab the helicopter, the game screams "<something intelligible!>"Also, somebody there must have really liked Henry Mancini, because it uses both the "Pink Panther" theme and "Baby Elephant Walk".

Next up, the hardest game ever (not really)

That looks like it was a big part of the basis for the Wreck-It Ralph game.

Offline CJones

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
#36 (Tie) – Contra

28 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #7 Soguru

Production Date: 1987
Manufacturer: Konami

I'm going to just cut and paste the plot, as described at The International Arcade Museum, because I find it amusing:

September 12th 2631, Midnight. The latest and most powerful automatic was equipped, and the radar commanded by the Marines caught a small-size meteorite that was approaching abnormally to the earth. The meteorite fell 20km north-east of New Zealand at the gal mosquito archipelago. The command did a long-term observation of the meteorite after that.

Two years later, on December 2633, an intruder known as Red Falcon was occupying the Gal Mosquito Archipelago and was planning the fall of mankind. Command ordered a confidetial investigation at the enemy's front base. The marine post ordered two "Contra" Soldiers Private First Class Bill Rizer and Private First Class Lance Bean. Their mission is to penetrate the insides of the enemy, destroy the front base and the entire center of operation. Bill and Lance are sent to the Gal Mosquito Archipelago.

So yeah, it's 2633, and our best option is still 80s action movie commandos. Other places list the location as the Galuga Archipelago. The Japanese word for mosquito is "ka", so maybe "Gal Mosquito" isn't so far off.

Contra may not be the first run-n-gun shooter, but it certainly brought the genre to a new level of awesome. It was also one of the first games to incorporate 2 player simultaneous play (a feature that was inexplicably removed from the European release). And there's that bad ass moment when you realize "Wait, I'm fighting Aliens!?" Now not to brag, but I'm going to anyway. I could finish Contra on one credit, in an actual arcade. It's actually not that hard. The main trick is to pick up the Spread Gun, and NEVER pick up anything else after that. Unless you die. The game also taught me how to alternate between fingers when pushing the fire button. This gives you a much faster rate of fire, and is nowhere near as tiring. (Incidentally, this is also the trick to running ludicrously fast in Track and Field)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ogijYYWMOIE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ogijYYWMOIE</a>

Fun fact: "Contra" is Latin for "against"

Another fun fact, in Oceania, where the game takes place, the game is called "Gryzor"

Up next, a game I've never heard of...

Offline CJones

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
#34 (Tie) – Vanguard

29 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #4 Stethacantus

Production Date: 1981
Developer: TOSE
Manufacturer: SNK (licensed to Centuri in the US)

Now this is a game I've never played nor heard of. It bears a definate resemblance to Konami's "Scramble", and both were released in the same year, so it's unclear if one copied the other, and if so, which one was first. This was one of the earliest side scrolling space shooters, a la Scramble, Super Cobra and Gradius (all produced by Konami incidentally). And like Scramble, you have to constantly replenish your "Energy" (aka Fuel). However, it's notable for a couple things. One, it didn't just scroll horizontally. Certain segments of the game would transition, somewhat awkwardly, from horizontal, into diagonal and vertical segments. During the vertical bits, which were always at the end, the ship would change orientation to face upwards. Secondly, it had voice synthesis. Specifically, the game would announce the name of each zone as you transitioned into it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PEFqe-5YcIk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PEFqe-5YcIk</a>

Fun fact: This was the game that put SNK on the map as a serious video game producer.

Next up, the mother of all shoot 'em ups.