login

Author Topic: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown  (Read 36461 times)

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4466
Re: LoC 90: Top 51 Arcade Games Countdown
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
My favorite tune in the game is from the N64 port's version of the Desecrated Temple.

soguru

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
I hate to say this... but I went back and re-checked my list like 3 times and Gauntlet legends was not the 2nd pick on my list... as a matter of fact it was nowhere on my list. Sorry Cjones. :(

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »
I hate to say this... but I went back and re-checked my list like 3 times and Gauntlet legends was not the 2nd pick on my list... as a matter of fact it was nowhere on my list. Sorry Cjones. :(

You'd think that with the amount of time I spend proofreading these things before posting, that wouldn't happen. But you're right of course, it was #2 on TeamRAD's list. I'll fix that in a second. I have a sheet of paper next to me with everyone's name, and their corresponding column in Excel. You're column I, TeamRAD is column J. My handwriting is so crappy that I got them mixed up. That's two mistakes in one night. I must be getting tired.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
#47 (Tie)– Galaga

24 Points, 6 Lists, Top Vote: #17 ScottotD

I loooooved this game as a kid! it is the last video game I was ever even kinda good at.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
I assumed Shodown was a take on Shogun but you're right it could just be a translation

I've wondered if that might be the case. But I can't find any evidence to corroborate that theory.
Given SNK's penchant for not-giving-a-single-damn when it comes to translations (Look up SNKglish sometime), I'm willing to bet it's a translation error.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:31:08 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
After four straight entries that were one person's #2, we get Galaga, a game that appeared on more than half of the lists, but never ranked higher than 17th.

I hate to pile on here, but I had Galaga at #6.

Offline CJones

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
#46 (Tie) – Final Fight

24 Points, 3 Lists, Top Vote: #6 ScottotD

Production Date: 1989
Manufacturer: Capcom

After seeing how much success Technos had had with "Renegade" and "Double Dragon", Capcom decided "why don't we start making side scrolling beat em ups too?". No, seriously, game creator Yoshiki Okamoto has outright stated that this was his version of Double Dragon 2. Capcom's CPS hardware was kicking a lot of ass at the time, and it lent itself well to this sort of game. Who knew that the market was about to be absolutely flooded with side scrolling beat em ups.

Pick from one of three characters: "Guy", the ninja who wears red and doesn't know how blades work. Mayor Mike Haggar, the guy who paved the way for the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura in the field of hilariously musclebound politicians. And Cody, the one normal person in the game, who also happens to be the only person who knows how to correctly use a knife.

Fight your way through waves of punk rockers, Andre the Giants, and biker chicks, who may be women, cross dressing men, pre- and/or post-op transsexuals, depending on what version of the game you're playing, who you ask, and what year it is

It's a genuinely entertaining game, in a genre that eventually became WAY over-saturated with mediocrity. Or in the case of Double Dragon 3, outright crap.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jycWTiAdCG8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jycWTiAdCG8</a>

Fun fact: Final Fight was originally comissioned to be Street Fighter 2. But when the executives actually saw the game Okamoto was making, they decided that it didn't look anything like Street Fighter, so they changed the name to Final Fight. Explains why there's so much crossover between the Street Fighter and Final Fight universes.

Up tomorrow, finally #41, a sequel to a spin-off...       

Offline CJones

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 09:05:15 PM »
After four straight entries that were one person's #2, we get Galaga, a game that appeared on more than half of the lists, but never ranked higher than 17th.

I hate to pile on here, but I had Galaga at #6.

Really?!? Everyone's list check-summed correctly. Hold on, let me check...

EDIT: God damn it. You're right. I entered it into Excel as Galaxian instead of Galaga. I'll change it tomorrow and we'll see how that changes the results. Then I'll go back and fix whatever needs fixing. If nothing else, that's going to move Galaga MUCH higher.

But it's clear I need sleep, and it's past midnight here. So I'll see you guys tomorrow, hopefully without as many screw-ups.

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
interesting fact: the movie Birdemic is based on Galaga.

soguru

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »
But you're right of course, it was #2 on TeamRAD's list. I'll fix that in a second. I have a sheet of paper next to me with everyone's name, and their corresponding column in Excel. You're column I, TeamRAD is column J. My handwriting is so crappy that I got them mixed up. That's two mistakes in one night. I must be getting tired.
EDIT: God damn it. You're right. I entered it into Excel as Galaxian instead of Galaga. I'll change it tomorrow and we'll see how that changes the results. Then I'll go back and fix whatever needs fixing. If nothing else, that's going to move Galaga MUCH higher.
But it's clear I need sleep, and it's past midnight here. So I'll see you guys tomorrow, hopefully without as many screw-ups.
Oh Cjones it's okay. Get that sleep you need and take a break for a while, why don't you?   :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:55:25 PM by Soguru »

Offline CJones

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Thanks Soguru.  :)

Okay, changing Stethacantus's #6 from Galaxian to Galaga knocks Galaxian out of the top 50, and moves everything I've posted so far up one slot. And of course it moves Galaga up many slots. So here's my question. Would people rather I delete the #47 Galaga post, or leave it. Either way, I'll make another post when we get to where it's actually supposed to be.

EDIT: Added the "fun fact" to Final Fight.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
Thanks Soguru.  :)

Okay, changing Stethacantus's #6 from Galaxian to Galaga knocks Galaxian out of the top 50, and moves everything I've posted so far up one slot. And of course it moves Galaga up many slots. So here's my question. Would people rather I delete the #47 Galaga post, or leave it. Either way, I'll make another post when we get to where it's actually supposed to be.

EDIT: Added the "fun fact" to Final Fight.

I vote that you just soldier on with the list that's already been made and leave everything the way it is.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
I'm a stickler, so I say renumber them, keep the text for Galaga, delete it, and post it up where it belongs.

Offline CJones

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 11:30:01 AM »
I'm a stickler, so I say renumber them, keep the text for Galaga, delete it, and post it up where it belongs.

I've already changed the numbers, so I'll go ahead and take Pak-Man's advice.

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
That Gauntlet Legends entry was interesting.  I didn't know they improved the original Gauntlet like that. 

We used to get stoned and play the original Gauntlet in the arcade.  If anyone shot a power-up potion we would punch them in the arm.