login

Author Topic: LoC 90: Top 50 Arcade Games Countdown  (Read 36463 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC 90: Top 51 Arcade Games Countdown
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
#51 – Vs Super Mario Bros. (Tie)

23 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #13 TeamRAD

This was a thing?! WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THIS WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD AND COULDN'T SPEND MONEY OR EVEN LEAVE THE HOUSE ON MY OWN?!?!??!?!!

This was actually my introduction to Super Mario Bros. People don't realize what a big deal this was. Up until that time, almost every arcade game took place on one board. Mario going right and having the world just keep on going was HUGE. THEN there were little discoveries. One of the greatest moments of my life was hitting the question block and realizing it spit out coins. Then another one and a mushroom came out that I couldn't avoid, and it made me HUGE! Then suddenly I could smash bricks! Never made it to the fire flower that day, but on the way home from Chuck E. Cheese, I was wondering how many more mushrooms there were and how big I could get. THEN I found out that the NES could do it and I wanted one more than anything. All these years later, I'm still a Nintendo fanboy. :^)

soguru

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 09:59:49 PM »
I remember thinking how cool it would be to be able to play this game at home... and in 1985 a lot of us got our wish. I spent the entire summer of 1985 playing... and beating Super Mario Bros.

Offline Hung william

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »
The Ultimate Early 80s Arcade Tribute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWevidSFyjY

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
#46 (Tie)– Time Soldiers

24 Points,  1 List, Top Vote: #2 Cole Stratton

Production Date: 1987
Designer: Alpha Denshi
Manufacturer: SNK (Romstar outside Japan)

For a while, these "Rotary Joystick" style games were all the rage. Ikari Warriors set the stage (even though it was in fact a ripoff of Front Line), then came games like Heavy Barrel, Guerrilla War and Time Soldiers. Time Soldiers had an interesting gimmick though: time travel. Your fellow soldiers are scattered throughout time by the evil Gylend. Why? I have no idea. It's your job to rescue them; in a particular order. This was the gimmick. There were five time periods: Prehistoric, Roman Age, World War (2?), Age of War, and the Future. The game let you know which era your next captured comrade was in, and then it would drop you somewhere else. After a certain amount of progress, usually involving a mini boss, you'd find a time portal, which you could elect to use or not. If you did, it would randomly warp you to another period, hopefully the one you actually wanted to go to.

Do this enough times, and you'll go to the final area and fight Gylend. By yourself. "Fellow Time Soldier who I just got done rescuing, want to lend a hand?  No? **** me I guess."

The somewhat random nature of your progression through the game helped give it much needed replay value. Lot's of enemy variety, including bosses and minibosses, also helped. However, the thing I remember most vividly about this game was how every enemy exploded into a cloud of vapor when you killed them. Am I supposed to be erasing them from history?

Fun fact: Time Soldiers has a sister game: Sky Soldiers. SS ran on the same hardware as TS, and it also featured time travel. But instead of being a rotary run n gun, it was a vertical scrolling shoot em up.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Jq6sTXw9H10" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Jq6sTXw9H10</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OlXYshaVIlY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OlXYshaVIlY</a>

Up next: a game whose title lets you know just how well translated this game is going to be.

Offline CJones

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
#51 – Vs Super Mario Bros. (Tie)

23 Points, 2 Lists, Top Vote: #13 TeamRAD

This was a thing?! WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THIS WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD AND COULDN'T SPEND MONEY OR EVEN LEAVE THE HOUSE ON MY OWN?!?!??!?!!

This was actually my introduction to Super Mario Bros. People don't realize what a big deal this was. Up until that time, almost every arcade game took place on one board. Mario going right and having the world just keep on going was HUGE. THEN there were little discoveries. One of the greatest moments of my life was hitting the question block and realizing it spit out coins. Then another one and a mushroom came out that I couldn't avoid, and it made me HUGE! Then suddenly I could smash bricks! Never made it to the fire flower that day, but on the way home from Chuck E. Cheese, I was wondering how many more mushrooms there were and how big I could get. THEN I found out that the NES could do it and I wanted one more than anything. All these years later, I'm still a Nintendo fanboy. :^)

I wish I had thought to write that. Everyone's so familiar with SMB, that I thought it would be more interesting to focus on the cabinet. But yeah, the original Mario Bros was a single screen game. The first time I ever saw SMB was in an arcade, and I just stood there watching people playing it, thinking: "This Is Awesome".

Plus, back then you never jumped ON enemies. You jumped over them. Or in the case of Mario Bros, hit them from below.

Offline CJones

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »
#46 (Tie) – Samurai Shodown

24 Points,  1 List, Top Vote: #2 Hung William

Production Date: 1993
Manufacturer: SNK

Samurai Shodown. No, that's not a typo, that's actually how it's spelled. Why? I have no idea. In Japan the series is called Samurai Spirits, so somebody doing the localization decided on the word "Shodown". In fact, the series has a reputation for horrible translations. I'm still not sure if "Victoly!" was a joke, or if they genuinely didn't bother to look up how to spell Victory.

However, Samurai Shodown has a much more important claim to fame: It was the first weapon based fighting game. This was a dual edged sword. On the one hand, it brought something new to the fighting game genre. It greatly broadened the variety of attacks characters could be given. But, OTOH, the original game suffered from extremely wonky hit boxes. Because weapons didn't count as part of a character's body, their hit box and hurt box could be drastically different. Which lead to some attacks hitting when they shouldn't, while others would completely miss for no apparent reason.

The series also has a history of being very unbalanced. In SS1, Charlotte destroyed everyone, in SS2, Ukyo was God. The series has never been seen as a "serious" (ie tournament quality) fighting game, but it is a lot of fun. After a while, all the bizarre ways in which the games are broken just makes them more endearing to their fans.

Fun fact: Everyone knows that Haohmaru is based on Miyamoto Musashi, but did you know that Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (the final boss in the original game) was a real person? He was a Japanese Catholic, who tried to lead a revolt against the Shogunate. The rebellion failed, and he was executed in 1638 at the age of 16. One might say that he did not achieve

Next Up, THE Quintessential Arcade Game (IMHO)

soguru

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »
I was CRAZY about Time Soldiers when it first came out in Arcades in the late 80's.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 04:59:44 PM »
I assumed Shodown was a take on Shogun but you're right it could just be a translation
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
Wait, I thought Cole had a full list.  How can Time Soldiers be number two and still have two people have it on their lists?

soguru

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
It might have just been on one list.

Offline CJones

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »
#46 (Tie) – Paperboy

24 Points, 1 List, Top Vote: #2 CJones

Production Date: 1984
Manufacturer: Atari

When I was in middle school, this was THE game. Brilliant concept. You pedal your bike along one of three routes, "cleverly" named Easy Street, Middle Road and Hard Way, trying to avoid obstacles, deliver newspapers to the houses of subscribers without breaking anything, and blatantly vandalize the property of non-subscribers. The game had that distinctive look and sound of Atari games of that era. Crisp graphics, catchy music, good sound effects, and lots of voice clips. But what really made this a great arcade game was this:

The controls were ingenious. Push forward to accelerate, pull back to brake. Steer left and right. And buttons on the back side for throwing the papers. I've tried playing this game with all manner of traditional controllers, keyboard, mouse. None of them do the game justice. This is one of those games that you just can't play properly without the original controls.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l6DEL9GY-VU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l6DEL9GY-VU</a>

Fun fact: There is a glitch in the game where, at the end of the obstacle course, on the far right, it is possible to get the bike past the grandstands. Or so I've read. I've never seen it.

Another fun fact: Their is a swarm of frogs trying to cross the street, that only appears on one day of one route (Thursday of Middle Rd IIRC). This I can confirm is true.

Up next, a re-imagining of a classic game that actually does the original justice.

Offline CJones

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
Wait, I thought Cole had a full list.  How can Time Soldiers be number two and still have two people have it on their lists?

Sorry, typo. It's fixed now.

Offline CJones

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
I assumed Shodown was a take on Shogun but you're right it could just be a translation

I've wondered if that might be the case. But I can't find any evidence to corroborate that theory.

Offline CJones

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yYbuxyhgfvQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yYbuxyhgfvQ</a>

Offline CJones

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
# 46 (Tie) – Gauntlet Legends

24 Points, 1 List, Top Vote: #2 TeamRAD

Production Date: 1998
Manufacturer: Atari

Gauntlet is one of all-time greats of classic gaming, and Gauntlet Legends was the last attempt by Atari to resurrect this series. And it was a huge success. They took the RPG-lite elements of the original 2 games, and expanded on them. Players could register their characters on a particular machine, and it would remember their stats. Over the course of playing the game, your character would gain levels, which equated to stat increases, and you could also spend gold you had collected to buy stat increases. Your goal: collect the four Keys from the four Realms: Mountain, Castle, Forest and Desert. With them you can unlock the Temple and fight the final boss, Skorne. However, it doesn't end there. There are also 12 Runestones hidden throughout the game. Beat Scorne with them in your possession and you can follow him into the Underworld. There you'll face the FINAL final boss, Scorne (again)

As usual you have the four classic character classes: Warrior, Valkyrie, Wizard and Elf Archer. Each of them excels in one of the four stats: Strength, Armor, Magic and Speed. Magic and Speed are vastly more important than Strength or Armor. In fact, that's the case for the original 2 games as well. Later on you can unlock animal variants of the standard classes. Every class can eventually max out every stat, so if you play the game long enough (and if you know what you're doing) you CAN finish the entire game from start to finish, on one credit, assuming your character is already maxed out. I know because I did it, with the Archer. Arcade operators did not like this, which brings me to...

Extremely NOT fun fact: Late in the game's life, arcade operators began complaining that players were staying on the machines for too long without putting more money. This was because people had already given them a crap load of money building up their characters, and now they could steamroll through everything. Around this same time, Midway had acquired the rights to Gauntlet, and I'm still not sure if it was Atari or Midway who made the decision, but an updated set of ROMs was shipped out to arcades. These ROMs made the game, for all intents and purposes, impossible. A trade mark of Gauntlet games is that your health ticks down over time. The updated ROMs caused this loss of health to increase over time. At the hardest difficulty, after about 15-20 minutes, your health would start dropping at 5x the normal speed. Players, like myself, who used to be able to clear the entire game, now couldn't even clear the Mountain. It was literally impossible. And people just stopped playing it

Soon after, In 2000, Midway released a complete overhaul of the game, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. It doubled the number of characters and worlds, but more importantly, it significantly curtailed the rate at which your health loss increased. Although it wasn't the constant "1 tick per second" that Atari had originally programmed, it never reached the ridiculous rate that Legends did late in its life.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S4-MxrzOq3E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S4-MxrzOq3E</a>

Actual fun fact: If you collect all 12 runestones and defeat Scorne the second time, the game will give you a code that you could mail in to Atari. The first 500 people to do this would win a free T-Shirt.

Next up, the game everybody agrees is "pretty OK, I guess"