Author Topic: Distressing Messages =/  (Read 20667 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3564
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Distressing Messages =/
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 08:42:20 PM »
Oompa Loompas are just taking American jobs. :^)

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 08:59:49 PM »
I'm not so much disturbed by the possible slavery reference to the oompa loompas (hey, at least he keeps them well-fed and sheltered, and doesn't even reprimand them for spontaneously breaking into condescending, creepy song and dance in front of guests) as I am with Grandpa Joe.  I mean, this is one of the protagonists, right?  He's supposed to be a good guy?  Well, first, let me point out how much of the movie he spends explaining how events of random chance actually work to balance the fairness of the world, and that wanting something enough will make it randomly happen, without associated effort towards increasing your chances.  He even manages to convince Charlie before opening any one piece of chocolate that there's an absolute 100% chance that it has a golden ticket in it because Charlie getting one of only 5 randomly distributed tickets, instead of, say, a child dieing of cancer or the people who are actually buying more chocolate, is an inevitable result of a fair world.  I might even be convinced to chalk that up to a horrible form of naivete or some type of dementia, but what about his alleged paralysis?  For 20 years, he's been unemployed and mooching off of his dirt-poor daughter, who can't really even afford to feed and clothe her only child, whose father is, for whatever reason, gone (I'm assuming he's dead, since his parents still live in her house and she tolerates them).  For 20 years, he's unable to lift a finger to go get a job, because he's paralyzed.  Fine, I'm willing to accept that, but then how come, after being offered a free ticket to an exclusive tour of a mysterious factory, he is suddenly able to not only walk, but get up and dance?  I ain't buying that lost balance act, either.  It wasn't very convincing.  And how come Grandpa's legs haven't atrophied?  After 20 years, those things should be the width of toothpicks and unable to hold up the weight of an emaciated mouse, much less a full (physically) grown man...unless Grandpa's been sneaking out to take midnight strolls while everybody's asleep.  It wouldn't even surprise me if he was dipping into his 'secret' retirement fund to buy booze.  The whole thing smells fishy to me.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 06:45:47 AM »
Oompa Loompas are just taking American jobs. :^)
DEY TUUK ER JERBS!!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »
I'm not so much disturbed by the possible slavery reference to the oompa loompas (hey, at least he keeps them well-fed and sheltered, and doesn't even reprimand them for spontaneously breaking into condescending, creepy song and dance in front of guests)

You know. I'm sure White Men said the same thing about negros back in then day.  "Hey, we're giving them food and shelter and we're not repermanding them unless they don't work. They should be HAPPY to be here."

Wonka enslaved them, pure and simple.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »
that depends if they randomly broke into song.  if yes then my answer would be no. 

Wuss. That'd be great!

"Oompa Loompa doompadee doo  We've got another audit for you."

or
"And now over to Oompa for the weather."

"Thanks Todd. Oompa Loompa doompadee doo, I've got another cold front for you."

or
"Oompa Loompa doompadee doo. We've got another latte for you."

or

"Oompa Loompa doompadee doo. We've got some suppresive artillery fire for you."

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »
See, I get the feeling from the movie that in reality, the Oompas really ran that place and just put up with Wonka like you would an annoying dog that humps your leg.  Like, "Well, fellas, I guess he did bring us over here.  Even if he is insane so I guess we can deal."  Look at the way they react to him and the expressions they make.   Sure they came running when he blew his little whistle but probably just to prevent him from whining and totally flipping out.  I'm almost sure they wouldn't do anything for him they didn't want to do.  I am completely sure they could kick his ass.  They were clearly smarter than Wonka and had much better organizational skills.  It's like they were humoring a mental patient or something, "Sure, we'll stir your chocolate.  We're your friends buddy! You're not nuts!"

Exactly what does Wonka do? Nothing.  Who ever saw him? Nobody.  The Oompas could throw him into a vat of boiling chocolate at any minute and nobody would be the wiser.  Why didn't they?  They were living the sweet life and so what if a senile/eccentric millionaire candy man thought he was running the place.  Doesn't sound like slavery to me. It sounds like they just got a sweet job with a moron for a boss and don't we all know what that is like.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
Exactly what does Wonka do? Nothing.

Well. One could surmise he was a brilliant confectioner who formulated delicious candies like Scrumdidlyumptious Bars and Ever Lasting Gobstoppers, and rendered down human intestines and Roachmeal.

;)

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »
They think they've got a good union but they don't. They're basically slaves.

It is a bit disturbing, but I'm not sure Wonka is all that moral of a guy in the book. Dahl's world is more about phantasmagoria than morality from everyone but the main character, as tends to be the case with fairy tales.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »
Exactly what does Wonka do? Nothing.

Well. One could surmise he was a brilliant confectioner who formulated delicious candies like Scrumdidlyumptious Bars and Ever Lasting Gobstoppers, and rendered down human intestines and Roachmeal.

;)

But does he really? Or do the Oompas do all that and convince him that he is the one doing it?  Who would buy an "Oompa Loompa Scrumdidlyumptious Bar."  Willy Wonka, I can only assume, was once a great candymaker and has name recognition.  It wouldn't be hard to convince that crazy old man he invented the candy, put his name on it and rake in the money.  Wonka doesn't seem sane enough to invent anything.    He is not sane enough to run a factory or boss around a group of small, red, mean looking men.  The Oompas gotta be running things and he's deluded into thinking he is.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
I dunno. Willy Wonka strikes me as the typical mad-scientist. He's insane and his outlit for insanity is confectionry. As opposed to, making a monster or a time-machine or something.   ;)

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
I dunno. Willy Wonka strikes me as the typical mad-scientist. He's insane and his outlit for insanity is confectionry. As opposed to, making a monster or a time-machine or something.   ;)

The Great Glass Elevator is probably a time machine. God knows it can go pretty much anywhere else.

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 07:31:57 PM »
I'm not so much disturbed by the possible slavery reference to the oompa loompas (hey, at least he keeps them well-fed and sheltered, and doesn't even reprimand them for spontaneously breaking into condescending, creepy song and dance in front of guests)

You know. I'm sure White Men said the same thing about negros back in then day.  "Hey, we're giving them food and shelter and we're not repermanding them unless they don't work. They should be HAPPY to be here."

Wonka enslaved them, pure and simple.

I didn't say it didn't disturb me, just that it disturbed me less than protraying that deadbeat leech of a grandpa as a good guy.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 07:39:37 PM »
Oompa Loompa doompadee doo. We've got some suppresive artillery fire for you

quote of the year

:clap:

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 09:40:07 AM »

Which is why I still contend the Oompas are running the place.  Stay with me here.  I'll give him the nonsensical giant chocolate river and candy land.  I mean, whatever works for you (even if it makes no business sense at all) but do any of the inventions that WONKA touts as being HIS in the movie make any sense at all in a marketing respect?  A few of them, maybe (the gum, perhaps, maybe the golden geese but even with them, you'd wonder what the lifespan on a Golden Geese was and how much they ate as opposed to how much the eggs sold for.  Would it not be cheaper to produce the eggs some other way?).  Everlasting gobstoppers: did Wonka miss the day in his MBA training where they talked about repeat business?  The exploding candy: yeah, way to go.  Knock out the teeth of your customers so they can never eat again.   A giant, 200 lb candy bar made so it can appear on one person's television as a 2 ounce candy bar? How much are you going to charge for THAT?  It's cool, sure.  Marketable at a profitable level, doubtful. 

I guess he did have the competition that sold out Wonka bars everywhere so that made sense but then he gives the stupid factory away after shattering the roof (how much is that going to cost to fix) and possibly killing a bunch of kids (are they alive? do we know for sure?). 

It just seems like the Oompas are probably the ones keeping him sane and actually keeping the factory running at a profitable level.  Not that I'm really trying to argue ;)  It's just a movie and all [whistles innocently]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:56:30 AM by AmandaGal »

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 09:55:57 AM »
What I found disturbing about the entire Wonka world was just how saturated it was with inuendo and dirty jokes.....

Look up what a GobStopper & a Shnozzberry are.... Yeah.....
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...