Author Topic: Let's Share Super Mario Maker Levels!  (Read 14029 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Let's Share Super Mario Maker Levels!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:26:18 AM »
I'll be sure to check out those levels when I get a chance.  I'm working on a musical level at the moment.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 01:55:27 PM »
Here's some of my son's levels:

50BD 0000 0071 A9E0
20BA 0000 0075 7796

We are both marking everyone as "follow" and will be dealing out as many stars as we can!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2339
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
I played and starred both. Have you had a chance to play around with it yourself yet?
FINE

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 341
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:56 PM »
I have a new one out. I think I've learned some valuable lessons from my other courses, which are apparently nigh-impossible. Their real problem, though, is not being fun enough to play the beginnings over and over until you finally beat it. They are slogs when you don't beat them the first try, and I think I've really fixed that this time. Now the parts you've already cleared once become easier and faster on subsequent plays. Anyway, it's called Port Thwomp.

7A3C 0000 007B 97F7
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
Nice! I think I finished both of your other ones? The second one was brutal though.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:44 PM »
Having said that, my levels have very low completion rate, and I don't think they are as hard as yours. I think if people don't complete a level on their first try, they skip them.

That's something really lacking in SMM - Consequence.

I've put secrets into every level I've made, often multiple paths. No one will ever play them enough to find them.

With over a million levels already uploaded, and no real reward for completing a specific level, I think people aren't giving levels much of a shot.
FINE

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
It's difficult to make secrets and multiple paths matter to the player in this format. In Port Thwomp, I use a couple secrets to hide fire flowers. I think the multiple hits allowed by the FF is a good reward for their exploration. I also make sure not to allow them to collect more than three 1UPs in the stage. When I give them one, I want it to count, so I have to be careful about how many enemies are in a line, how many coins are in the level, etc. If the level comes up at the right time in the 100 Mario Challenge, those lives have value.

Multiple paths, though? That's a really hard thing to convince somebody to go back and find, unless they're trying for an easier path after they've died a few times.

As for avoiding skipping, one must capture that elusive "just one more try" quality. Part of that is making sure that, on the next try, they can more quickly get to the point where they died. This is where both mine failed.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
As for avoiding skipping, one must capture that elusive "just one more try" quality. Part of that is making sure that, on the next try, they can more quickly get to the point where they died. This is where both mine failed.

For sure.

If it doesn't feel too repetitive (some puzzle levels where you have to get a sequence exactly right, though very clever, can just wear on the nerves) and it doesn't feel too luck based as well.

A level with a bunch of Lakatus, for example, can mean even if you figure out the sequence of everything up till that point, it can be very frustrating to have an enemy dropped on your head from off screen. That happens surprisingly regularly.

Also, I have no patience for levels with just 100 of one enemy and you have to run and hope you accidentally time it right.

One clever thing I've been seeing on Twitter is people making comics and art to advertise their levels. Doing that is a good way to raise awareness and to also highlight things to look for or do in a level. But I don't know if I can be bothered...
FINE

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 09:52:01 PM »
Also, I have no patience for levels with just 100 of one enemy and you have to run and hope you accidentally time it right.

This. Swarm levels get an immediate skip from me.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 10:03:20 PM »
I guess you can do this on Miiverse, but I think another great update would be if you could add a short blurb to the level select screen.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »
E073-0000-0074-1A23

645D-0000-0074-2065

That's the last two levels from my Super Mario Bros cycle.

I'm working on Super Mario Bros 3 levels (I have uploaded the first two) but need more staaaaars.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 02:35:14 AM »
I have a new one out. I think I've learned some valuable lessons from my other courses, which are apparently nigh-impossible. Their real problem, though, is not being fun enough to play the beginnings over and over until you finally beat it. They are slogs when you don't beat them the first try, and I think I've really fixed that this time. Now the parts you've already cleared once become easier and faster on subsequent plays. Anyway, it's called Port Thwomp.

7A3C 0000 007B 97F7

Took me a little too long to figure out what to do once I wall jumped up, before getting up to the clouds, but I got there. Not sure it was how intended though? I jumped off one of the cannon balls and took the hit landing on the piranha plants. Or maybe if I was a better mario player I might have made it to the clouds?
FINE

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 06:48:23 AM »
Took me a little too long to figure out what to do once I wall jumped up, before getting up to the clouds, but I got there. Not sure it was how intended though? I jumped off one of the cannon balls and took the hit landing on the piranha plants. Or maybe if I was a better mario player I might have made it to the clouds?

Hm. That shouldn't be possible. You're supposed to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't even think about the cannonballs.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »
I altered The Invasion of Mz Koop's Garden and made it significantly easier.

2CBD 0000 007C BBFA

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
I played and starred both. Have you had a chance to play around with it yourself yet?

A little bit! I have most of the music level built out I'm just working on the timing on it (and needing to unlock a few more things so I can get it the way I want it)