login

Author Topic: Let's Share Super Mario Maker Levels!  (Read 17717 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3324
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Let's Share Super Mario Maker Levels!
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all of the comments!

3-1: The exit path is too mysterious. I guess I do mysterious paths too but I try to give easier clues. The proper exit pipe is offscreen, as invisible as the coin box! Also it's pretty trolly that the fireflower boxes can knock you off the platform in pipe exit 2. Good arrangement with the hazards though.

I wouldn't call it a 'proper' exit, just an easier hidden one. It's certainly doable without taking the hidden pipe!

I liked 3-2 more. Is it supposed to be in space? I noticed that UFOish platform and no ceiling.

I hadn't meant it to be, but now that you say that, I can certainly see it!

3-3 even better. Cool jellyfish challenge to get that mushroom at the beginning. Some haphazard choices though, like what's that row of music boxes about?

There's a hidden mushroom in there if you don't go down, but then you might get trapped with the cheep cheeps at the other end.

3-5: Again pretty random choices. Koopas AND dry bones? In a ghost house I'd stick with dry bones unless you need the shell for a puzzle or something. Also maybe some semi solid platforms to decorate. And more "room-like" rooms, square and rectangular. Makes it more like a house. If you don't focus on either puzzles or spooky enemies in a ghost house you might as well go with a different theme. Just my preference.

Drybones are the risen dead version of koopas - You gotta have koopas to get drybones! On the whole I am sparing with drybones because I find them annoying. Certainly I could use more decorating in my levels. That level has so many hidden elements though. It is a puzzle level that doesn't tell you it is.

I SHOULD add comments to some of my levels with lots of hidden things. It might encourage people to poke around more.

3-6: Immediate pipe to underworld. Very mario 3-esque! I remember a part with donut drops over a blue floor. I was curious why they weren't over a pit so I explored and found an invisible fire flower! Pretty cool! Then immediately after the pipe out of there a virtually free fire flower. Undercut the rewarding feeling, heh.

That was me being kind more than having a puzzle. I put a save in. I nearly deleted it before uploading.

3-7: Maybe a little too easy? It was the same ol' goombas turtles and plants again. This far into your "world" you can ramp up the difficulty a bit like with some cannons (ya know, airship). Also maybe some burners out the back of the airships so it looks like they're propelling them.

I think one of the paths has bullet bills, but yeah, I shoulda gone with some cannons. There are those wrench throwing mole guys though. I am havign a hard time getting the difficulty right I guess? My first batch that I thought weren't too chalenging are being recieved as too hard. This batch too easy. I might even go for deliberately difficult with SMW? Not sure yet. I've barely played around with it.

3-8: Pretty easy again yeah. But I liked the risk-reward thing with a fire flower and winged goombas.
Cloud areas in a castle are weird. That must be a tall-ass castle!

Overall your levels could benefit from some focus. Each level should be built around a unifying theme, rather than just throwing in one of everything. Limit your palette but vary your uses of it.

Also alternate routes are cool but don't be pressured to do that every time.

Basically alternative routes was the theme of the entire cycle. I realise that translates into more fun for me, the person who knows that, than the person who will play it once, but hey, better than than automatic levels. I am really proud of some of the hidden stuff that will probably never be found.

I need to put up a fake IGN site with walkthroughs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:50:23 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »
This isn't mine but you guys MUST try it.

C3D8-0000-0082-797C

Brilliant use of the system to make a Mario Kart track. (Also I haven't managed to beat it yet)
FINE

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2015, 05:53:01 PM »
I wouldn't call it a 'proper' exit, just an easier hidden one. It's certainly doable without taking the hidden pipe!

Okay how. I got to the room with three (actually four) pipes out and the three visible ones were a no go. The one with the donut drops above was the closest to being the way forward but they were too high to jump on.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »

Okay how. I got to the room with three (actually four) pipes out and the three visible ones were a no go. The one with the donut drops above was the closest to being the way forward but they were too high to jump on.

Are we talking about the same level? I might have to replay it an check. I'm sure it's not just the hidden pipe.
FINE

soguru

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Played some seriously hard levels today including one called "The Lava Escapades of 1984"... It's CRAZY hard, and relies a lot on luck to get through it, but if you've got the patience...be warned, this one has a very low clear rate... but hey, I managed to get through it!
0D7A-0000-0038-3C23

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »

Are we talking about the same level? I might have to replay it an check. I'm sure it's not just the hidden pipe.

We were talking about two different levels, sorry. There's one with a hidden pipe that lets you avoid a difficult end section. This one has what I think are obvious dead ends (especially the last room) so I don't fell bad about that hidden pipe - especially since the hidden coin is easily placed against the wall.mnot difficult to find IMO.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2015, 01:37:42 AM »
Having said that, it does have a low completion rate...
FINE

Quirk

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
I am trying so hard to beat Pruning Plants but what the hell? I love the first few sections, but the part with the POW must not work the way you want it to because the POW is completely superfluous. I never use it. And then the doors? I can't figure that part out. The door resets the plants, but not the boxes, so it's really easy to fail this section and be forced to kill yourself... I think. I still don't know the solution.

UPDATE: Beat it. And I figured out the issue. If you don't hit those ? blocks as fast as you can, you can't hit them as many times. As such, the first time I entered that door section, I slowly hit those blocks, thinking that I needed to be careful about how many times I hit them. This resulted in them not lowering enough, confusing me for many more runs. I still don't understand the doors, or the vines, or the POW block.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:11:10 AM by Quirk »

Offline David

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
The pow block was supposed to get a muncher out of the way of a buzzy shooter, which can be used to get a helmet and kill the bouncy plants (just for fun). The door was to respawn a turtle but I forgot that I had put the turtle in a ? block cause the POW was killing it. The pow is gone when I edit this, it causes a lot of problems. And I'm gonna change those last coin blocks to bricks, should have the same effect without running out of hits.

The vines are a safety net. I wanted something between just extending the ground and death if you mess up that upper portion, which I found easy to mess up.

e: Edits done! New version: 4D4F-0000-00A3-FE67E3D3-0000-00A4-C0DB
POW gone. Launcher gone. Bricks are much better for the puzzle at the end but now there are spikes to force the correct solution. Doors at puzzle for resets. Level should be a lot better now.
Please tell me if you have any other issues. I want my levels to be as polished as possible.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:42:07 PM by David »

soguru

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
I've played and starred your latest levels David. Thanks!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
e: Edits done! New version: 4D4F-0000-00A3-FE67
POW gone. Launcher gone. Bricks are much better for the puzzle at the end but now there are spikes to force the correct solution. Doors at puzzle for resets. Level should be a lot better now.
Please tell me if you have any other issues. I want my levels to be as polished as possible.

Are the spikes meant to stop you going throught that maze of bricks? Because I still went through there.

My problem with the level is I run out of time.

I've come very close to the end a couple of times and died and then decided to 'come back to it later' because going through all of the opening moves is a bit repetitive if you've just done it a couple of times.
FINE

Offline David

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »

Are the spikes meant to stop you going throught that maze of bricks? Because I still went through there.

Of course you were supposed to go through there. You just had to kill enough plants to make an easy path instead of all of them.

I've come very close to the end a couple of times and died and then decided to 'come back to it later' because going through all of the opening moves is a bit repetitive if you've just done it a couple of times.

Mario in a nutshell really. I might add a little more time but I want to hear more suggestions first.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »

Of course you were supposed to go through there. You just had to kill enough plants to make an easy path instead of all of them.

Oh, I see, you are meant to go through and lower it to the beetle's level? That's clever. I just did short jumps.

Mario in a nutshell really. I might add a little more time but I want to hear more suggestions first.

Is it Mario in a nutshell though? Mario levels rarely are a series of puzzles to solve with only one specific solution. (Particularly as the series went on)
FINE

Offline David

« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2015, 06:14:49 PM »
Having to do the same first parts over is what mario is I meant. Good job on the jumps if you managed it after killing all the plants.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
Having to do the same first parts over is what mario is I meant. Good job on the jumps if you managed it after killing all the plants.

Yeah, I did it and the beetles flew away. I thought I was meant to use them as platforms, but couldn't get onto them in time.
FINE