Author Topic: Remaining un-DVD'd MST3Ks & Exclusive Shout! Bonus Discs  (Read 20608 times)

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
Re: Remaining un-DVD'd MST3Ks: Anyone Know Which Are Never Coming?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »
I will be sad if Girls Town never makes it.

-dale

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2167
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 08:34:20 PM »
I heard that was a bigger issue than anything. After MST3K made the old movies cult classics, the licensing fees went way up.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
I heard that was a bigger issue than anything. After MST3K made the old movies cult classics, the licensing fees went way up.

So silly.  Add $10 to the price - most of us would groan but still pay it.  "There's money in them thar hills!"

(edited to clarify: my snark is directed at license-holder types, not license-acquirer types.)

-dale

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
Man, what if Shout pries the KTMA episodes out of Mallon's cold, retired hands?
With the mst3k.com store closing, word is he's finally letting go of the rights...?

e: Then again they may be too raw/niche for DVD. But perhaps streaming?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »
With the mst3k.com store closing, word is he's finally letting go of the rights...?

Who do think Shout! is working with for MST3K currently? I'm sure Mallon is the least of the issues with KTMA episodes.

Everything comes down to money in the end.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 09:03:30 PM »

Who do think Shout! is working with for MST3K currently? I'm sure Mallon is the least of the issues with KTMA episodes.

Everything comes down to money in the end.

Pretty sure that no one wants the KTMA episodes released. No one being Joel etc..  When Shout took the license they said they had all the home and digital rights to all episodes (except of course the actual riffed movies)

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3757
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 10:56:29 PM »
Pretty sure that no one wants the KTMA episodes released. No one being Joel etc..  When Shout took the license they said they had all the home and digital rights to all episodes (except of course the actual riffed movies)

Shouldn't you have led with that? ;)  ;D

And I presume you mean, 'excepting these'?
All the Susan Hart titles aren't out there because she won't license them to anyone.

Forgot to ask: which are these?

As it sounds, from your other 'all rights' comment, that these are the ones that fit the Subject line question: "which episodes will never be released?"
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »

Shouldn't you have led with that? ;)  ;D

And I presume you mean, 'excepting these'?
All the Susan Hart titles aren't out there because she won't license them to anyone.

Forgot to ask: which are these?

As it sounds, from your other 'all rights' comment, that these are the ones that fit the Subject line question: "which episodes will never be released?"

I meant that Shout has all the home and digital rights to all the MST3K elements from KTMA through Season 10.  They of course then have to clear the actual movie riffed for each one.

The Susan Hart titles are Amazing Colossal Man, It Conquered the World and Terror from the Year 5000 and I Was a teenage werewolf.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
Ah, OK... thanks for the clarification.  I've been more easily confused the last couple days, so didn't get what you meant.  I guess I just presumed that Best Brains had let Shout have all the MST-related rights and that it would just be clearing the film rights themselves for releases.  Good to have confirmation though.

Sad about the four Susan Hart titles.  Do you know how she's holding those up - what her connection to them is/how she is in control of them?  I couldn't find her name even associated with the films in IMDb [only looked for 'Colossal Man' and 'Terror... 5000'].
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
She owns the rights through AIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Hart

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
She owns the rights through AIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Hart

Thanks!

I am more easily confused than I thought: I check IMDb with a complex searching, but not the (simpler) Wikipedia.  :P  I should really just stop trying to think for a while... certainly cease interacting until I'm functional enough to do so 'reasonably'.

On the Susan Hart front, at age 74, potentially her heirs could inherit the rights within the next decade, and they might be a tad less reluctant to license them out.  [The four would make a very nice set - not quite Gamera level 'relatedness', but still a good combination of four films for an MST set.]  To me it makes no sense why she wouldn't be interested in some additional income right now while she could use it.  'Saving them' for what, I wonder? ???

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
Yeah, it amazes me when the rights holders to movies like these try to extort them for money. Seriously, you own a shitty movie, you should be glad if somebody threw a rock with a twenty tied to it through your window.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
Yep, that's pretty much my stance on stuff like that. Apparently there are people out there would would rather have a lot of nothing rather than a little something.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »
And from the way MrTorso phrased it...
...it seems that she's not even holding them for a big payout, she's simply not licensing them at all.

That's the most confusing.

[I mean, unfortunately Dave Clark is holding out for more money than anyone's likely to pay for Dave Clark 5 CD licensing, so I get people do that, but it sounds like Susan Hart just isn't willing to consider releasing.]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:33:31 PM by LucasM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
And from the way MrTorso phrased it...
...it seems that she's not even holding them for a big payout, she's simply not licensing them at all.

That's the most confusing.

[I mean, unfortunately Dave Clark is holding out for more money than anyone's likely to pay for Dave Clark 5 CD licensing, so I get people do that, but it sounds like Susan Hart just isn't willing to consider releasing.]
Well, in such a case it's clearly more of an emotional thing than a greed thing. She views the movies as "her babies". Silly or not, that is a situation where just putting another zero on a check won't solve.