login

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 22141 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »
The massive update to a new build of Windows 10 tonight kind of pissed me off, and makes me wonder how things are going to go with Windows in the future.

It killed off a few of my programs saying they were not compatible with this version of Windows, when I reinstalled them they seem to work fine.  It took some programs off my start menu, they were still installed but I had to go find them and put them back in the start menu.

Just went through the privacy settings, at least it doesn't look like any of the stuff I turned off was turned back on.

This is a bit disturbing, since you can't turn off updates in Windows 10, only "defer" them.  This is the first sign that they could break stuff you have running by forcing a major update. 

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »
This is a bit disturbing, since you can't turn off updates in Windows 10, only "defer" them.  This is the first sign that they could break stuff you have running by forcing a major update. 
Yeah, I have a huge problem with the security portion, whereas the provider (Microsoft) thinks that they know better than you, as in, you're told you can turn stuff off and on, but nearly everything you can turn off still runs in the background.  I specifically said during install that I wanted Cortana off.  Guess what?  You are allowed to turn Cortana to "off", but it still runs in the background, spying on everything you do.  That's not the only part, there were others, I can't remember all the crap I disabled but still found running later.

On the other hand, I found out with 7.5 hours of extra work, that Windows 10 does not enable safe mode by default, so if you have driver issues that are preventing a successful install, you can't boot into safe mode to fix them until you...successfully install.  Sigh.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Yeah, the way to get into safe mode is a pain.  Actually there are several ways to do it, all of them more of a pain than simply hitting F8 when the machine boots.....

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
My problem at the moment is something is crashing during shut down, which halts the shut down as it requires me to manually close something. libjingle, which I've narrowed down to an issue with trillian, skype or both.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »
My problem at the moment is something is crashing during shut down, which halts the shut down as it requires me to manually close something. libjingle, which I've narrowed down to an issue with trillian, skype or both.
Interesting, because when I was researching my upgrade/start issues (which turned out to be onboard sound (Realtek) drivers) I saw several issues people had with Skype.  Might want to start there.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
I very rarely use it, so I should just stop it loading on start up then, might be easier said then done since Skype is one of those infamously stubborn programmes that does what it wants.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
These last few Windows 10 updates have really messed up my laptop, half the time when it starts up the fingerprint reader isn't working, and about 1/3 of the times it starts up it's crashing right after logging in. 

Never had so many PC problems until I started using 10 on both my desktop and laptop, it is way less stable than XP or 7 that ran great.

Arrrrgh, now it is crashing 100% of the time on my laptop, trying to go to a restore point but it's been sitting working for 15 minutes with the hard drive LED on full blast....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:36:29 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2015, 03:12:06 AM »
These last few Windows 10 updates have really messed up my laptop, half the time when it starts up the fingerprint reader isn't working, and about 1/3 of the times it starts up it's crashing right after logging in. 

Never had so many PC problems until I started using 10 on both my desktop and laptop, it is way less stable than XP or 7 that ran great.

Arrrrgh, now it is crashing 100% of the time on my laptop, trying to go to a restore point but it's been sitting working for 15 minutes with the hard drive LED on full blast....

I have now installed Windows 10 on three systems with no issues. All installs I did were clean (not updated), maybe this is where a lot of your problems have come from. I installed it on 7 year old HP desktop, a 5 year old Acer laptop, and my custom built desktop.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »

I have now installed Windows 10 on three systems with no issues. All installs I did were clean (not updated), maybe this is where a lot of your problems have come from. I installed it on 7 year old HP desktop, a 5 year old Acer laptop, and my custom built desktop.

That could be it, I spent an hour and finally got the laptop back to normal.

Maybe next week I'll do a clean install on it, the laptop I upgraded for someone at work has been fine, for that upgrade I used the option to wipe all old data.  Of course that means spending hours reinstalling all my programs.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »

That could be it, I spent an hour and finally got the laptop back to normal.

Maybe next week I'll do a clean install on it, the laptop I upgraded for someone at work has been fine, for that upgrade I used the option to wipe all old data.  Of course that means spending hours reinstalling all my programs.

I'll bet that's it. I'm sure Microsoft has done their damnedest to imply upgrades are problem free but that has never been the case with OS installs in the past.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
I just found out about the sfc and dism commands you can run from an elevated command prompt.

Running them found some corrupt system files, between the 2 commands they claim to have fixed the files.  Time will tell if those files were causing the freezes I was getting on startup.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
So it looks like I will have to upgrade my office computers to Win 10 by July 29 or run the risk of having to buy the OS for $120 each PC.. :o
http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-happens-free-windows-10-upgrades-after-july-29-2016/
I have at least 6 computers that will need to be upgraded and then my 2 more powerful computers will have to come later because of all the programs and software I have loaded on them :-\
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:32:13 PM by RVR II »

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
So it looks like I will have to upgrade my office computers to Win 10 by July 29 or run the risk of having to buy the OS for $120 each PC.. :o
http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-happens-free-windows-10-upgrades-after-july-29-2016/
I have at least 6 computers that will need to be upgraded and then my 2 more powerful computers will have to come later because of all the programs and software I have loaded on them :-\

I have serious doubts that Windows 10 will ever be anything but free. Microsoft is so desperate to get everyone on it. I could be completely wrong though. I have no intention of ever switching my laptop off of 7.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
Not desperate enough to give it to vista users...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »

I have serious doubts that Windows 10 will ever be anything but free. Microsoft is so desperate to get everyone on it. I could be completely wrong though. I have no intention of ever switching my laptop off of 7.
I will keep my 2 main computers on Win 7 as long as possible but my office computers will be required to be upgraded due to my tax software requirements and unless that deadline gets extended, I'll be getting started on these 10 upgrades very soon :-\