Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 12040 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »
Found a download that gets the win7 games working in win10, so I've got my good freecell game back.

And I finally got around to attaching one of my 3D printers, and windows sees it as a printer, pretty weird to have a 3D print queue.  Options for print settings are so limited I won't ever use it, but it's a start.

So, down to the only thing I don't like are the colors, eventually someone should come up with a theme editor...

Offline Lunquewill

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
Windows 10 does boot faster and takes up less drive space. If you have a Ceton TV tuner, though, note that Windows 10 does not have Windows Media Center. Anyone who built their own DVR with that needs to stay with Windows 7 or Windows 8 Pro.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
I'm liking Win 10 quite a bit, for the most part. But I do have a few complaints:

1) It's ugly. I know, this is a very minor complaint, but I loved the way Win 7 looked. Microsoft has stated that they felt Win 7 looked "dated", but dated doesn't necessarily mean bad. Win 10 looks so blocky and austere. And there are very few options for making it look any better

2) I've had it freeze up twice so far. As in "time for a hard reset" frozen. I'd never seen Win 7 completely lock up (with the exception of Fallout 3, which is a known issue with the game). So, more system crashes over the course of a few weeks than I ever had during the entire life of Win 7.

3) Stop asking if I want to allow so-and-so to make changes. I literally just tried to change the setting under "User Account Control" and it asked me if I wanted to allow Windows to change one of its own settings :o Do I seriously have to turn this off completely? Win 7 was a lot less paranoid., and the settings are exactly the same.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
Having a weird issue with my Saitek x52 joystick, where it would work ok while plugged in, but when I unplug it my mouse would start to lag and be unable to click on anything. 

The only place I could find similar symptoms is with a teamspeak incompatibility, but I don't have teamspeak installed. 

Was frustrating enough that I tried to restore my PC to factory settings.  Eventually had to use the install disc to do it, but it didn't help.  Same issue persisted, even before I installed other programs that potentially could be causing a conflict.

In the process I corrupted my windows install because of all the hard resets I had to do when my mouse would lock up.  Couldn't repair my install, so I installed windows 10 on another drive so that I could access my files on C to back them up, then wiped that drive to do another install of windows 10. 

Forgot to back up the harvest moon game I was playing, one of the two things I actually needed to back up, and my joystick still has the conflict.

Soooooo great.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked:
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »
That sounds like an epic pain in the ass. I haven't plugged in my X55 yet. It has a very different interface so I hope it does not have the same problem. I would definitely blame Mad Catz/Saitek for that. It sounds like they couldn't be bothered testing their product with Windows 10.

The X52 is the most popular flight stick. Have you seen anything in forums, maybe the Elite Dangerous forum, about this same problem?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »
That sounds like an epic pain in the ass. I haven't plugged in my X55 yet. It has a very different interface so I hope it does not have the same problem. I would definitely blame Mad Catz/Saitek for that. It sounds like they couldn't be bothered testing their product with Windows 10.

The X52 is the most popular flight stick. Have you seen anything in forums, maybe the Elite Dangerous forum, about this same problem?

I thought I would have seen something at least.  But like I said, that teamspeak forum had the only similar symptoms.  I've sent a ticket to saitek.  But it might be something confined to my system.  I'm sure that's what they'll say.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
2) I've had it freeze up twice so far. As in "time for a hard reset" frozen. I'd never seen Win 7 completely lock up (with the exception of Fallout 3, which is a known issue with the game). So, more system crashes over the course of a few weeks than I ever had during the entire life of Win 7.

In the first few hours after updating both my desktop and laptop I had a few of these, since then my desktop has been fine but the other day my laptop had bad freezes, with the startup repair system saying it couldn't fix it, but then it just started working fine.  If it happens again on the laptop I might revert it back to win7.

Installed a fingerprint reader for my desktop and win10 recognized it and I can use it for login without any special software.

Got this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005VF62KG

A Verifi P2000, seems $50 or more is the break point for one of these having good reviews, all the ones I found under $50 had real bad ratio of good vs. bad reviews.

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »
Forgot to back up the harvest moon game I was playing, one of the two things I actually needed to back up, and my joystick still has the conflict.

I failed to back up my Dark Souls 2 save. Guess what game on Steam doesn't have Cloud saves... 45 hours down the drain  :grr:

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »
Well at least saitek responded saying they are working on windows 10 drivers. So that's good at least.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 08:40:48 AM »
What ever update was pushed last night caused both my systems to lock up after login.

Took 3 forced power off/on cycles to get my laptop to start working, 2 for my desktop.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »
Installed it last night when the pop up appeared that says it is available to download.

When it restarted with Windows 10, Norton had a pop up and said to get the new version that works with Windows 10.  So I did and no issues. 

Not really sure what this version does better, but time will tell.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
I'm still yet to experience any problems whatsoever. Hopefully that trend continues. I did a full sweep with privacy and removed some things from the registry to improve the privacy. You can't use Cortana with these settings but I have no intentions of using it anyway.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »
I have also turned off enough stuff that cortana won't work, but also have no interest in it.

You'd think there would be various privacy levels where you could still use it, but it seems if you want it at all you've got to let Microsoft snoop on just about everything you do.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
What is annoying now is all the nagging pop-ups telling me to upgrade. I want to wait a few weeks, but I get almost hourly reminders now, there is a 'reschedule' option, with 2 days in the future as an option, but it clearly ignores that.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
What is annoying now is all the nagging pop-ups telling me to upgrade. I want to wait a few weeks, but I get almost hourly reminders now, there is a 'reschedule' option, with 2 days in the future as an option, but it clearly ignores that.

This is from http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-remove-windows-10-nag-messages-3614204/

Go to Control Panel, and then Windows Update. Check in the bottom left corner for a link to Installed Updates. Look down the list for a Windows patch named KB3035583, which can be uninstalled by right-clicking on the entry and selecting Uninstall. Windows being Windows, you will then be prompted to completely restart your computer. But once you do, the Windows 10 icon should be absent from your Taskbar's notification area.

Bear in mind that you'll also have to switch from automatic to manual Windows updates. Otherwise Windows will simply reinstall the update you've just uninstalled.

It's a temporary fix, but it will get the messages to stop.