Author Topic: Done with inkjets  (Read 611 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Done with inkjets
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
My inkjet printer did the snap crackle pop that all inkjets seem to do when they die, this time it sounded like multiple plastic parts popping and grinding.

Over the last 15 years I must have spend many hundreds of dollars on ink that mostly just dried up in the printer, this last printer I got I thought it would be better to get the type that has the separate ink tanks, but that does not save you anything since all the colors dry up or get sucked out by the printer cleaning itself, so after months of not printing anything in color the color levels still drop.

So, done with that, went out and got a color laser printer, the prices have come down quite a bit, and the picture quality has gone up.  They can't compare with inkjets that use 6 colors, and the resolution is lower than inkjet, but for casual prints there are some that do pretty well.  Genuine toner cartridges are priced crazy high but there are plenty of compatible ones that are not that much more expensive than ink.  One cartridge from Canon costs as much as a complete set of 4  from an off brand.

Anyway, I went a little overkill for my home use, but I wanted good photo printing and a good scanner, so got a Canon imageCLASS MF634cdw.  Was going to get the 632 but Microcenter didn't have that in stock, and this one was only $25 more, difference is this one will scan both sides of a page at once if you use the feeder.  I haven't gotten glossy paper yet but pictures printed on plain paper look better than I was expecting.  Can't put inkjet photo paper in a laser printer because of the plastic coating that keeps the ink from spreading. 

Hopefully it will sit there and just work when I need it, no wondering of the ink is dried out or the nozzles have clogged.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Done with inkjets
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 12:48:24 AM »
I'm still using obsolete Lexmark 715 inkjet printers. They served me well during the days of our Spanish tax services business with my late wife and when I made my collection of JoshWay MST3K DVD covers as well as the RiffTrax Covers from Piobman..
The ink cartridges are still available on ebay though some have dried up..
I don't see myself upgrading to anything newer as I still have several printers that still work and are currently stored in my front office, though I do like the quality and speed of laserjets I've used at work :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »
I think I've printed enough full page photos to have used up about $50 worth of ink on my old printer, still 80% toner left on the starter cartridges.

Took a panorama at a Phillies game a bunch of years ago, never wanted to use the ink required to print it out, but with the new printer and some gloss paper I tried it, split it up into 6 pages and did real cutting and pasting (glue sticking):

Here's a small version of the image in case anyone is interested:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:23:47 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 142
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
Epson ET-2550... is awesome! I print full color labels on a daily basis. I've only refilled the ink once... and that is including about 150 full page glossy prints I've done. It took me a year of heavy use to use up all of the ink.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
That Epson with the big tanks of ink was the only inkjet I looked at before going to laser.  But most of the reviews were like that, from heavy users, I can go weeks between printing stuff, couldn't find any info on if that printer clogs with that much time between using it.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 142
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
My parents have the printer also... which they use very infrequently. I haven't heard from them any clogged ink problems though.

On a side note, I have had far more clogged ink issues with my old cartridge based printers (HP & older epson). Its been terrific for me.

Offline Rivera4

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 12:08:43 AM »
Old is gold mate :-X ;)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 01:49:12 AM »
Old is gold mate :-X ;)
Good as banned :spammer:

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 03:04:45 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AHX6tHdQGiQ&amp;t=220s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AHX6tHdQGiQ&amp;t=220s</a>

Long story short, ink cartridges are sold at a massive mark-up. Some companies will actually sell their printers at a loss, just so they can sell ink.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »
Long story short, ink cartridges are sold at a massive mark-up. Some companies will actually sell their printers at a loss, just so they can sell ink.

Thanks, Captain Obvious

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 07:07:14 AM »
A for-profit business wants to make a profit? Scandalous!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 07:55:20 AM »
10000% profit is a bit much...

Do any printers still shut down then they think the ink or toner is low?  I thought all the companies that tried that 15 to 20 years ago had to stop because enough people switched to buying from companies that didn't do that?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
My 8 year old HP inkjet printer/scanner/copier died. I really don't print much at home anymore and use the copier function about as much as the printer.
Ran to Walmart for a cheap replacement. Almost bought the cheapest of the cheap- a Cannon for $35, but ink replacements for that one were $50+.
Ended up with a $40 HP inkjet printer/scanner/copier that uses cheaper ink cartridges than the Cannon or even my old HP that died.
Not as nice as the printer it replaced- just seems flimsier, but it will work for as little as it gets used.
Am digging the wifi feature as I don't use my old desktop much anymore and it's nice being able to print from my laptop without having to plug anything in.