login

Author Topic: General Psychology Thread (for non-emergency and long-term issues)  (Read 43940 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4301
Re: General Psychology Thread (for non-emergency and long-term issues)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »
First, Miku Fan, good idea to start a non-crisis thread for psych discussions.

From the Random Thoughts Thread:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really don't want to get into a debate about if I am addicted to one kind of food because I am not. I am addicted to numbing myself with any and all foods. I was trained from a very young age to eat and eat a lot (thanks DAD  :grr:), and if you asked me to remove one type of food, then I would just end the day doing some sort of d r u g anyway, so it's the psych issues that are my biggest obstacle.

Understood.  With the comment I made, I was saying "if" you had food addictions.  With eating a lot (per your father, I'm guessing either a "clean your plate" person, or taught it by example), if you change what you eat, you weight will still be massively impacted by it (i.e. eating bunches of organic veggies will not result in weight gain, but in weight loss).  And the key - as many health presenters pointed out, is not removing foods, but substituting different ones, ones that are healthier.  That is what the JJ Virgin 'Sugar Impact Diet' is about: substitution of healthier foods for foods that are damaging or problematic.

Veggies with a lot of healthy fat on them [coconut oil, ghee, etc.] are very filling, and - with the healthy fats - satisfying and healthy.  Fried foods, or prepackaged foods stable at room temp, are neither (both because they are nutritionally void, and because they have massive omega-6 oils which are whole-body inflammatory).

I think one of the things that may be most helpful about the sources I referred to is that they normalize a fair number of reactions, so that one doesn't feel as guilty about them.  That reduces the psychological burden that you have to dig out from under in order to feel able to make progress.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1381
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
No, it wasn't a clean your plate thing. It was a "I'm in a bad mood and all I want to do is eat and I am going to encourage you to eat way more than you should and then when I feel fat I am going to yell at you for also being fat even though neither I nor your mother ever bothered to teach you how to eat to live and not live to eat."

I don't know. I'm sorry I brought the whole thing up. Just ignore me and carry on with your broadcast day*.

*Would the kids of today even get that reference?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
Sorry, wasn't clear, that was what I meant by the 'teaching by example' possibility.

If you don't bring up these things, then those negative thoughts just roll around in your head without any possibility for new ways to interrupt and disrupt them.  So by all means, if there are difficulties or frustrations, bring them up.  Someone can usually give a different insight than what may have occurred to you (I know I've received a lot of help here).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
For those interested, this is the next health summit (group of professionals giving presentations on state of the art knowledge in their specialized area).  I am putting it here because it is the Mental Wellness Summit.  I have seen presentations by at least a few of the presenters that will have information there, and they were good.  But I don't know all of them, so can't vouch for the entirety of what will be presented.

It is FREE to sign up and 'attend'.  Usually presentations are available to watch online for 24 hours, after that it costs money to get the collection.  It runs August 10-17.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:14:26 PM by LucasM »

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
Thank you, Lucas!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
Here are some workshops I tried to attend last year.  For some reason, I was told these workshops didn't exist!  :o

Fence posts: Talk to them or not?
Raving Today: Should I rave in Public, or on social media? Why not do both?
Fearing Anxiety: Flight or Flight?
So, you hate Peter Jackson: An Unexpected Mental Case.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1381
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
Here are some workshops I tried to attend last year.  For some reason, I was told these workshops didn't exist!  :o

Fence posts: Talk to them or not?

The follow-up to this was a riveting discussion of old men and their propensities to yell at clouds.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »
Sounds like a Simpson's reference.  Could that sunset BE any more orange?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

soguru

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »
I'm really upset about everything that's happened tonight. I'm just really, really not sure what to do. I don't even know who I am anymore, or how the hell I'm supposed to live with feeling like my gender is some kind of stigma.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
I don't understand group therapy.  If you aren't allowed to be upset, what's the point?   
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

soguru

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »
I don't understand group therapy.  If you aren't allowed to be upset, what's the point?
Miku I don't know. At this point I don't think I could ever get into another support group. I'm... ironically intimidated by other men, and if women aren't comfortable around me at all, then I don't see any way how I really belong anywhere. I think I need to just find a group of people and meet someplace where we can play a tabletop game like Yahtzee or Superfight or something.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:30 PM »
I understand. I was the same way.   Maybe you need to find another group, or, take a deep breath and go back to the old group.  Or if possible, look into one on one therapy.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
I'm... ironically intimidated by other men, and if women aren't comfortable around me at all, then I don't see any way how I really belong anywhere.

This would be ideal for the way to 're-introduce' yourself to the group that you just left.  I think that the rest of the group hearing about your reaction to their reactions to your anger, and what feelings that brought up in you, would be helpful to all of you.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »
I'm still wondering on what exactly it was that intimidated the other Group members. I mean, they're totally allowed to tell you that you're doing something that makes other group members uncomfortable, but unless it's a persistent problem, then I don't see any reason that you shouldn't continue going.

I think Lucas's idea of reintroducing yourself is a fantastic idea.

soguru

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
I was told the group members didn't want to tell me straight out because they didn't want to hurt my feelings. :(