login

Author Topic: You know movies are in trouble when video game stories are superior.  (Read 7359 times)

Johnny_Short_Torso

I played Star Wars: Knights of the old republic today.... and i've said this before but I think most people know that the story is amazing. Those of you who don't know it would probably not be too surprised to know this video game is far and away not only superior to the prequels but comes as close as you could possibly come to being a movie as the same quality as those in the original trilogy.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: You know movies are in trouble when video game stories are superior.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:10:16 AM »
Very true, but KOTOR is quite possibly the ONLY movie game to even hold half a candle to its source material. :^)

Oh movie games. Why do you go for the quick buck?

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »
The Dark Forces / Jedi Knight Series is an incredibly fun series of Star Wars games methought.

KOTOR is good too =)

But anyway -- I agree that the video games and expanded novels are much more entertaining and better thought-out than what Lucas ende dhis franchise with.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »
Very true, but KOTOR is quite possibly the ONLY movie game to even hold half a candle to its source material. :^)

Oh movie games. Why do you go for the quick buck?

Escape from Butcher Bay was better than the Chronicles of Riddick, but I can't think of any others.

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:36:31 AM »
What about The Mario Bros?

Oh wait.. we're talking about games based off movies, and not movies based off games XD

Silly me!

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »
Well, I don't know- the Fight Club, Reservoir Dogs, and Godfather games were all exactly as good at the movies that inspired them, imo. (Yes, there really are video games for all three of those movies.)

Actually, the NES Top Gun game was far superior to the film. Ah, "Pull up! Pull up! Pull up!" How I longed for you whenever "Highway to the Danger Zone" was playing.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 12:42:05 PM »
I thought the "My Dinner With Andre" video game was just a bit better than the "My Dinner with Andre" flim.

And such cool action figures to boot.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »
Many of the Star Wars games that had unique story elements were pretty solid. X-Wing Alliance along with the aforementioned Dark Forces / Jedi Knight and KOTOR were all pretty interesting. That said, I think there are two distinct genres at play here. First is the "inspired by" game, while based on a given license like Star Wars, it does it's own thing (KOTOR / Dark Forces). Then there are the direct "ports" if you will... the Star Wars Pod Racer game or the "Episode 1" platform game where you play out scenes that are pretty much directly lifted from the films. The first genre is generally decent, the second one almost always sucks nutbag.

Janitor

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was much better than the movie. But then again, smashing my own toe with a rock-hammer was much better than the movie. That would make an awesome video game. The Adventures of V V and the Smashing of His Toe!! I'll call Eidos right now!

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:01:17 PM »
I would hold the Dark Forces and X-Wing series up as an example more readily than KotOR.  Knights of the Old Republic is an exceptional game in its own right, and is probably the best Star Wars material to roll out of the printer since Return of the Jedi was originally released.  Show how much better it is than the prequals is more a testament to the quality of KotOR, rather than the quality of the prequals.  However, when the stories of games whose selling point is solely the action in them still trump the prequal stories, then you have a really good comparison.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »
I thought the "My Dinner With Andre" video game was just a bit better than the "My Dinner with Andre" flim.

And such cool action figures to boot.

Rear Window was just a cheap ploy to sell action figures- Which you can NEVER FIND! - Space Ghost

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »
TIE Fighter was an awesome game story wise.  You could even join a secret sect of the Emipre and do secret missions.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
The KOTOR series is the best thing since MST3K (and that's saying a lot for me). The first time I played through the first one, I was blown away by the story and characters. Sure, the second one wasn't quite as good, but there's something about the story of that one that still appeals to me a lot. The addition of influence in The Sith Lords was a good idea and the fleshing out of the weapon/armor modding helped the gameplay out greatly. If only they could have spent more time on finishing out the story. I mean, the whole HK factory plot just goes nowhere.

I read that Bioware is creating a team to handle a third edition. I may just have to step into the next generation of consoles if that happens. After all, I bought my Xbox when I did in 2003 because of KOTOR. If I'm lucky, perhaps my aging computer will be able to handle the PC version . . . though I doubt it. One thing I'd like them to do this time around is reward you for being a gray Jedi as well as fully light or dark. In the other two, you get rewards for going all the way light or dark, but get screwed if you play it gray because all the powers cost that much more to use. I think I'd be closer to Jolee if I played it honest. I'm basically good, but too cynical to be strictly light side. Okay, now I'm just rambling . . .

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 09:18:17 PM »
The KOTOR series is the best thing since MST3K (and that's saying a lot for me). The first time I played through the first one, I was blown away by the story and characters. Sure, the second one wasn't quite as good, but there's something about the story of that one that still appeals to me a lot. The addition of influence in The Sith Lords was a good idea and the fleshing out of the weapon/armor modding helped the gameplay out greatly. If only they could have spent more time on finishing out the story. I mean, the whole HK factory plot just goes nowhere.

If you check the data files, there were zones made for that thing on Nar Shadaa.  There were conversations, battles, plot threads.  However, they were only able to get it about half-done before the release, so they locked the code out of the final release.  Even if you unlocked it, it wouldn't be playable.  They just forgot to remove the references to it.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »
I actually downloaded a save for the Action Replay for the Xbox version in which you can actually play through the factory as HK-47, but after you finish, it goes nowhere since they never worked it into the actual game. Oh well . . . if Bioware (or some arm of it) is handling the third one, we can only hope the story will be more complete. If the first KOTOR and Jade Empire are any indication, we shouldn't have anything to worry about.