login

Author Topic: Sharknado II - LIVE!  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Sharknado II - LIVE!
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »

Let's get this discussion going! Who's jazzed?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Sharknado II - LIVE!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
In the theater now. Getting to watch some Godzilla while they test the feed!

Also if you get to see it at the AMC Braintree.... you are welcome. they have had nothing but ticket glitches for the last two Live shows. They has no clue there was a problem until I told them and they fixed em.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »
Got back a little while ago.  Great time, laugh riot, and another bizarre short was found! Yay!  I swear, though, I thought the guys were melting on stage they kept wiping each other with their little bar towels.

Riffing on the movie is pretty good but it's really one of those movies that's almost too self-aware to riff on.  The first one was pushing it, but I'd almost say this one is boarding on Birdemic 2 levels. I suspect they get a lot of support from the "stuido" of the movie to do these, so that's fine, and their riffing was good but, come on, we're not supposed to take these movies seriously on any level.

I really want to know these movies obsession with Tara Reid. She has ZERO screen presence, I mean it's painful to watch her "act" especially whenever she is "wailing" or "screaming."

I was *waiting* to see how they'd handle the "Jared issue" and was not disappointed when the moment came.

God, there's so much terrible in this movie.  Good riffing, though.

I'd say the audio balance between the movie and the riffing seemed off in my show. Sometimes it seemed like the riffing wasn't loud enough.  I don't know if it was an issue with my theater or the source.  If it's on their end they really need some better audio-ducking for the movie when they riff.

This movie is just horrendous.  I know on some level it's supposed to be, but there's limits to it.  And not a thing in this movie that's done or said makes a lick of sense and the shameless cameos are just too much.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »
We had a signal loss right as it started. Came back on just in time to watch the movie. The riff was hit and miss. I don't know if they just didn't have any decent material to work with, or what, but I noticed a few places that could have comments but they didn't make them. They had some awesome lines, but a whole lot fell flat.

And no pro wrestling jokes for Kurt Angle? Really? And you released a movie called STONE COLD too.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
Pretty good show!They guys did a decent job with a movie that knows it is bad.  I am looking forward to MIAMI CONNECTION in October.  That should be good as the movie wasn't made to be bad. They really tried and those types of riffs are always better.  Really hoping that they don't go back to the Sharknado well next year....
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline jetjaguar15

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »
Just ogt back from the Belcourt. Bill was right, it felt like it was 120 in the theatre. But the riffing was great! I loved the shatner bits in the plane.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
Riffing on the movie is pretty good but it's really one of those movies that's almost too self-aware to riff on.  The first one was pushing it, but I'd almost say this one is boarding on Birdemic 2 levels.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, right down to comparing it to Birdemic 2 and using the phrase "self-aware". These sequels to bad movies just really don't seem to work. Bad movies are like sophisticated AI-- you don't want them becoming self-aware, and for the same reasons really, as both bring nothing but death, destruction, and misery.

As for the riffing, it was alright. The crowd didn't seem to really go for it. I don't regret going to see it, but the first one was way better, THAT was one of the best live shows they've done, so that's a tough act to follow. It was also their first one since The Room, another tough one to follow.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »
I had a fun time at the show tonight, but I do second the idea that the movie was a little too self aware. The riff was nice, but I had more of a reaction from the movie itself. Either laughing at it or cringing from it at different points.

And wow, Vivica Fox's days of being a smoking hot stripper in Independence Day are looooong gone.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
If they're gonna do bad movies that are self aware, will they be doing Hobgoblins 2?

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »
I had a fun time at the show tonight, but I do second the idea that the movie was a little too self aware. The riff was nice, but I had more of a reaction from the movie itself. Either laughing at it or cringing from it at different points.

And wow, Vivica Fox's days of being a smoking hot stripper in Independence Day are looooong gone.

Well, the movie was 20 years ago. I'd say she's still quite good looking.

Offline derekl999

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
I actually thought they did a great job, and seemed to catch momentum after a rough first 5 minutes. I much prefer this movie to the Gozilla that was riffed live, as this one went by fairly quickly where I didn't even look at my watch to know if it was ending soon. For Godzilla, I was like, "how long is this friggin movie!" even as I was enjoying the riffs themselves.

I guess it really exceeded my expectations as I originally went only because I haven't missed a Rifftrax Live event yet, but I had a lot of fun and the movie didn't suck nearly as bad as I thought it would.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
I enjoyed this show but don't have a lot to say about it. This isn't really my favorite type of movie to be riffed, I much prefer things like The Room or the first Birdemic that were made by people who thought they were making high art than movies like this that are terrible because the people making it don't care about making anything resembling a good movie.

Kind of hoping that Rifftrax doesn't do the seemingly inevitable Sharknado 3 show around this time next year, maybe unless it includes some choice riffs about how Ann Coulter (who is going to have a cameo in it as Vice President of the United States) is basically to human beings what the Sharknado series is to movies (Jared from Subway got his cameo appearance in Sharknado 3 cut, so that moment of uncomfortableness will be gone, at least).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:26:20 PM by MightyBombJack »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
I saw the show in the Belcourt.   The AC was broken.  It was sweltering!  Went last summer, and it was fine.  This time, it was a steam bath.  DAMN, it was hot in there.

I really enjoyed this riff.  I watched Sharknado 2 a couple weeks ago, to prep myself- I was one of the guest riff-writers.
"The NEW Hero on the Hudson, Captain Soiley Pantsenberger"  was my joke.

I didn't think I'd laugh much, having watched the movie 2 weeks ago.   But, with the guys riffing on it, I thought it was hilarious.  Some of Tara Reid's facial expressions were absolutely bizarre, and therefore,  hilarious.  Same with Ian.  It was a lot of fun, and a lot of laughs!  I loved it.

Apart from nearly collapsing from heat exhaustion --my God!  How did Bill Stand there in a freaking suit?!--   it was great! They had sharks flying around the theater, which was fun. They gave one to my sister after the show.  It's right beside me as I type!

I  must tell  you- if they do another kickstarter, and you can afford the VIP experience, but don't think it's worth it...you're nuts.  It was a Rifftrax  party!  WHAT A BLAST!  Two days of fun with almost all of the Rifftrax crew.  They were SO nice to us, it was insane!

Thank you, Rifftrax, all of you!  Every single person was super nice to me,  including the Rifftrax fans I met at the show. 
Sharknado 2 was a complete success, from my perspective.  I loved it!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline PontiusFeeb

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
My wife and I have been looking forward to this for weeks, but when we got to our local theater, the showing was cancelled because of a broken projector. At least there's another showing next week.