Author Topic: But seriously, why do these guys hate the hero in TIME CHASERS so much?  (Read 3369 times)

soguru

Re: But seriously, why do these guys hate the hero in TIME CHASERS so much?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »
I don't think anybody hates him. I do however think you already answered your own question. I personally think Time Chasers is easily one of the best movies on MST3K, but when its your job to make fun of a movie... the leads are going to get made fun of. 

Offline IMRWSDR

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
Granted, he's no Bruce Willis (or even Michael J. Fox), but the sheer verbal abuse they heap on Matthew Bruch borders on outright slander. He's not THAT repulsive, for crying out loud, and his screen presence is light years beyond Jai Courtney's.

Yeah, the director has him take his shirt off for some idiotic reason, but there are plenty of A-list filmmakers who have committed worse sins against humanity.

I agree that the movie is actually pretty good on its own, and the hero is a decent looking, somewhat plausible leading man. However, as others have pointed out, sometimes a character just makes themselves open for ridicule even if it's not totally justified. The gal who played Lisa in The Room got torn apart in the riff, but she's a fairly decent looking person, and a fairly convincing actress. She was just an easy target, particularly given the lines she was asked to read.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Just admit he's your Dad
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
I just watched it and realized to my surprise that I had never seen the episode before.
Unbelievable after all these years.
Anyway, I don't think they were all that hard on the guy. I laughed quite a bit at his expense in fact. He is such a non hero type, that making him one is a bit ridiculous. For instance, he wears these thick glasses, but part way through the movie ditches them. I suppose this is supposed to be part of his heroic turn, but it made no sense. How is he functioning without them?

That being said, I enjoyed what they were trying to do with the film. I actually laughed when he steals a car, wrecks it, then climbs out and says "Still don't know how to drive".

Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
I just watched it and realized to my surprise that I had never seen the episode before.
Anyway, I don't think they were all that hard on the guy. I laughed quite a bit at his expense in fact. He is such a non hero type, that making him one is a bit ridiculous. For instance, he wears these thick glasses, but part way through the movie ditches them. I suppose this is supposed to be part of his heroic turn, but it made no sense. How is he functioning without them?

That being said, I enjoyed what they were trying to do with the film. I actually laughed when he steals a car, wrecks it, then climbs out and says "Still don't know how to drive".

I always figured him losing the glasses was so you could more easily tell the difference between future-Nick and past-Nick when they start interacting in the past.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
I read this as hetro instead of hero and was very confused
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »

I always figured him losing the glasses was so you could more easily tell the difference between future-Nick and past-Nick when they start interacting in the past.
Oh, I agree that's why they did it. Still . . . how is he seeing anything?

What am I saying? Cheesy movie.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »

Ah, searching for an in-universe reason. Let me think...

Sudden rush of testosterone reshaped his eyes into the proper shape?

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »

Don't think we're talking testosterone with this guy...or pink shirt either.  I just assume perfect vision is part of the time-travel, space-time continuum, laser-keratotomy whatchumathingy.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5920
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »

Don't think we're talking testosterone with this guy...or pink shirt either.  I just assume perfect vision is part of the time-travel, space-time continuum, laser-keratotomy whatchumathingy.
Maybe he's a hipster and doesn't really need them?

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
Oh yeah... BUT...no hipster moustache, unless that was lost during time-travel...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
Oh yeah... BUT...no hipster moustache, unless that was lost during time-travel...

Though a lack of testosterone might explain the inability to grow facial hair too, I think we have the beginning of a working theory here.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 210
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »
Well, whatever miraculous powers time travel has, it can also turn a Commodore 64 into a Commodore Amiga with very little effort, so I for one am satisfied. ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 12:48:54 PM »
Well, IIRC Amiga was basically built by combining a couple of 64's or 128's or something.  I mean, if TT taught us anything, it's that the secret to time-travel can fit on a couple of 3 1/4" floppies, so building an Amiga from scratch can't be THAT hard for time travel...