login

Author Topic: Rifftrax Presents - Life in the Suburbs with Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
This was...oddly disappointing. It wasn't terrible by any means, don't get me wrong. But the riff rate seemed really low. Lots of dead air, and missed opportunities. The ladies seem to be low in energy for the first third or so (to the point where their volume is much lower than the short). Once they perked up it was better. They both have great talent for this, clearly. I loved the previous riffs where they have been guests. At the very least it could have used another pass or two in the writing to fill in the gaps. And maybe a second take for the first part, after the ladies had had their coffee or something.
I would really like to see them come back. Especially for a full feature length riff. Or maybe more shorts on subjects the guys don't want to tackle.

My favorite bit with the "we didn't start the fire" banter.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 113
  • The Drugly American
    • Choronzon
This was wonderful. I love Mary Jo so much and have been sorely missing CT since it ended.

"Stash Your Kids and Party". What a great slogan!

I'd love to see a full-lengther from these ladies too. Naturally, if any other CT members wished to join in, I'd be even more thrilled!
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
Now that I've got it working -- that was some quality riffing.  ;D There just needs to be more of it. As Darth Geek says, there was some dead air here and there that I would have liked to have filled, but I put it down to their being a new partnership doing their first RiffTrax. I expect once they settle in, the riffs will fly faster. But they're great together, and I can't wait for more!
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
They do have a really good dynamic together, I also hope they do many more.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Maybe a Bridget, Mary Jo and Janet riff?

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 525
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"

Word on the street is, they will.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 113
  • The Drugly American
    • Choronzon

Word on the street is, they will.

SQUEEEEE!!!!!
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline DrKlahn

• Sparkles in Sunlight
We've watched it 3 times and loved it! More please.
Building my fighting force of extraordinary magnitude

Offline dt55555

• Blue Beer Drinker

Great stuff! Hopefully Bridget and Mary Jo do more in the future!  :)

And one of the malls featured in the short (Hillsdale Shopping Center in California) is right down the street from my house! Sadly, the outdoor stash-the-kids-and-dance area has been replaced with a food court sometime in the past 50 years.

Offline euphoriafish

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 6
  • Punk rock fer sure.
    • Euphoriafish on Twitter
I love this riff so much I clipped a screen grab of the chart from Redbook illustrating "Your Itemized Bill For Raising a Child."  Will this work at times that I can't afford birth control?  I am better at remembering to adjust for inflation than I am at remembering to take daily pills!

Mental hygiene nostalgia is my favorite kind of riff and it was so great to hear both Mary Jo and Bridget riffing.  I hope they write another one soon.

EDIT:  They did!  http://www.rifftrax.com/a-word-to-the-wives#.VZLvlI8hZ6s.twitter
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:04:31 PM by euphoriafish »
Jokes, social causes, and occasional current events punditry: twitter.com/euphoriafish. 

If I had to do my teens all over again, I still would have had no drivers license and still would have memorized bad movies.  Every Turkey Day was well spent as is.

Offline qlopp

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
This was...oddly disappointing. It wasn't terrible by any means, don't get me wrong. But the riff rate seemed really low. Lots of dead air, and missed opportunities. The ladies seem to be low in energy for the first third or so (to the point where their volume is much lower than the short). Once they perked up it was better. They both have great talent for this, clearly. I loved the previous riffs where they have been guests. At the very least it could have used another pass or two in the writing to fill in the gaps. And maybe a second take for the first part, after the ladies had had their coffee or something.
I would really like to see them come back. Especially for a full feature length riff. Or maybe more shorts on subjects the guys don't want to tackle.

My favorite bit with the "we didn't start the fire" banter.

It might be interesting to see them try riffing movies that are of the "guy" demographic, kind of working the angle that they don't like the movie and enjoy taking stabs at not only the poorly crafted bits but the whole genre.