Author Topic: The Sopranos  (Read 3345 times)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
The Sopranos
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:40:08 PM »
I was talking about The Sopranos in one of my insomnia inspired threads and I thought I might bring it up here in the "TV" section of this forum-type thing what we use to talk to each other.

Easter sunday was a new Sopranos after a thirty year hiatus and I thought it was pretty zzzZZZZzzzzzzzz.  I mean, great performances and all, but I really wanted to see more of the ancillary characters like Paulie Walnuts or Chistopher or Uncle Junior.

I'm excited that it's back, like, regular, and all, but I hope David Chase does something somewhat satisfying with the ending, (knowing, and respecting, full well that he eschews the common TV "closure" and story wrap-ups of most shows).
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

jasimon1

Re: The Sopranos (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:11:04 AM »
I didn't think it was a bad episode considering how bad the last few seasons have been. I have a feeling it's the set up to a major power play by Bobby. He did the hit and now realizes he can. The ending when he comes back to the house and is hugging his daughter can either be seen as he now knows he can do what he didn't think he can do, or that he doesn't want that life anymore. Either way, big things will happen because of his desicison. Perhaps another one of Janice's husbands will "disappear".
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:18:37 AM by jasimon1 »

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
Re: The Sopranos (spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:19:41 AM »
I didn't think it was a bad episode considering how bad the last few seasons have been. I have a feeling it's the set up to a major power play by Bobby. He did the hit and now realizes he can. The ending when he comes back to the house and is hugging his daughter can either be seen as he now knows he can do what he didn't think he can do, or that he doesn't want that life anymore. Either way, big things will happen because of his desicison. Perhaps another one of Janice's husbands will "disappear".

I agree, they did establish that some big stuff is in the offing.  And those shots over the lake were just beautiful.  They made me want to check out lakefront property!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: The Sopranos
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:39:39 PM »
It was better than the mid season ender last year.  My dissapointment wiht last season started with a bang when I downloaded via bit torrent the season opener and within 24 hours I got a cease and desist letter from HBO via my ISP!!! 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:47:45 PM »
It was better than the mid season ender last year.  My dissapointment wiht last season started with a bang when I downloaded via bit torrent the season opener and within 24 hours I got a cease and desist letter from HBO via my ISP!!! 

WOW!  That's some serious shite!  Eh, the Feds!  What'rya gonna do?!?!  Fahgedaboudit!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »

WOW!  That's some serious shite!  Eh, the Feds!  What'rya gonna do?!?!  Fahgedaboudit!

Yeah being sued by HBO wasn't on my to-do list so I just ponied up the HBO subscription for the run.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 05:16:05 AM »
I am currently just starting Season 6 part 1 on rental from netflix.  So far season 4 was my favorite, and I've heard season 6 is a bit flat as far as plot and character development.  But since my expectations aren't that high, I'll probably enjoy it enough.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »
I am currently just starting Season 6 part 1 on rental from netflix.  So far season 4 was my favorite, and I've heard season 6 is a bit flat as far as plot and character development.  But since my expectations aren't that high, I'll probably enjoy it enough.

Really?  Season 4 was your fav?  Interesting.  My favorites are 1 and 2 because of my favorite character, Livia Soprano, Tony's mother.  If you ever wanted to know my mom, just watch Livia.  Even when she was alive, my mom used to agree that she was just like Livia.  So, yeah, replace Italian with Irish, and that's what I grew up with.

What makes season 4 your favorite, Jack?

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:09:33 AM »
Season 4 was just brilliant.  It was just so intense
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:34:43 AM »
Season 4 was just brilliant.  It was just so intense

Ah... very well put... I think I would have to agree with your description of season 4.  The acting was really amazing, especially by Falco who plays Carmella?  Amazing work.

I also loved, throughout the series, how they chracterize Tony as being more empathetic to animals than people.  You can whack a hundred guys a week and sleep like a baby, but if someone kills a horse, or a dog, he loses it.

It was a good season... NOW, I gotta watch it again... see what you did?

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:40:43 AM »
It was a good season... NOW, I gotta watch it again... see what you did?

Heh heh...I've wanted to revisit it as well, it's too bad I only rented them.  Season 4 is a season I've been tempted to buy, but I know if I get one season, I'll have to buy them all.  And HBO box sets are a bit too pricey for me.

I also loved, throughout the series, how they chracterize Tony as being more empathetic to animals than people.  You can whack a hundred guys a week and sleep like a baby, but if someone kills a horse, or a dog, he loses it.

Yeah, it's probably one of my favorite aspects of Tony.  One of my favorite moments in all of Sopranos is the very end of episode 44, when Pie-O-My is sick and he has to go down to the stable in the middle of the night, and he sits in the stable with her.  It's a georgeous little scene, and one of the few moments you get to see unselfish tenderness from Tony.

Offline Hazzah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • D'oh
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
The Sopranos I think will always be good.  It's one of those shows, from the first episode, I was hooked.  Even how relatively blase some of the episodes seem to be on the surface, it's the underlying themes and occurences that come from it I find amazing.

But the season premiere, and this recent one on last night are leading up to some fascinating happenings.  It's gonna be sad to see it go, but like Chase and Galdofini say: "It's time to move on."

Hi-Keeba!

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »
The Sopranos I think will always be good.  It's one of those shows, from the first episode, I was hooked.  Even how relatively blase some of the episodes seem to be on the surface, it's the underlying themes and occurences that come from it I find amazing.

But the season premiere, and this recent one on last night are leading up to some fascinating happenings.  It's gonna be sad to see it go, but like Chase and Galdofini say: "It's time to move on."

Agreed, I think they might be running out of steam.  Although, "Cleaver" actually looks like it might be a good movie, LOL!!!

Offline Hazzah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • D'oh
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »
ack...seems like a ripoff of the Godfather II and Saw!!

PFFT!

lol

Hi-Keeba!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:09:28 AM »
Well, I'm halfway through part 1 of season 6,
.  I've always thought that the dream sequences were done really well in The Sopranos....but a co-worker of mine hates them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:11:06 AM by Smilin' Jack Ross »