Author Topic: Radical lines  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Radical lines
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:32:32 PM »
"Is there a health food store near here?" "Yes." "Good. Do something for me." - Bulldoze it and put up a real grocery store, and get me a steak.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1267
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
Re: Radical lines
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »
"Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. What'cha gonna do?" - I don't know, but telling the Sheriff you'd like to shoot your girlfriend seems like a bad start.

Flat beers that were obviously poured hours ago? Customers will LOVE those!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
"Guys, an airport in or around Rutland, Vermont. Pink Boy himself may have trod these grounds!"

I can't pass-up a good Time Chasers reference. :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 01:24:13 PM »
I was expecting a little more from the wait at the credits for "Go t hell, citizens of Rutland Vermont!"

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
I was expecting a little more from the wait at the credits for "Go t hell, citizens of Rutland Vermont!"

I was kinda hoping for a few more Time Chasers jokes. In addition to just being a really good episode, that one has a lot of sentimental value for me because it was the first MST3K I ever saw. Until around 1998/99, our cable company [somewhat justifiably] didn't carry Comedy Central, but DID carry Sci-Fi. I was about 15, which I think is a pretty good age to see MST3K for the first time. ^_^

But it's understandable, because if you watch the movie, not too many chances really come up to make a Time Chasers joke.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 05:09:44 AM »
I don't think we needed a "go to hell citizens and officials of Rutland, Vermont" joke. It'd be a bit too much of a retread and part of what made that funny -to me- was Tom's overall personality was somewhat aggressive and angry when pushed and the build up to it as they read the credits.

But I thought it would have been nice for a few more Time Chasers references which also is probably my favorite episode of MST3K, everything in that episode is just so on-point.  I love Crow's anger at Nick being the movie's star despite having a hockey-mullet, a chin-butt and rides a geeky 10-Speed bike.

Seriously, Nick owns a large home, owns a light-aircraft (which can cost as much as new house), and has lots of computer equipment. But he doesn't have... a car?! And he got a GRANT for his experiments?! How did THAT application go?!  I don't think you just make something up, ask for money, and get it. Don't you have to prove you're using the money for what you asked for it on?  Did he really get a grant to build a time machine?! (Excuse me, Time Transport.) And he wants to sell or get an infusion of cash from Gencorp in order to continue his experiments.  In this very scene Pink Boy comes up with the idea of depositing money into a past bank account and then returning to the present or future date to collect the new interest-increased balance. (Though he way over estimates what the interest would come to. I did the calculations on it.) Forget that the IRS would want to know why you didn't pay any taxes on this for however many years but it's a better idea than selling his idea to a company that could potentially use the technology for poor reasons.  There's plenty of thinks Nick could have done to get a new infusion of cash.  Go a week into the future and see if anyone won the latest Powerball or other Lottery.  Even Powerball's base amount at the time was a few million dollars. If no one won it the prize goes up.  So, you purchase the winning numbers in the past, take the lump-sum payout, you pay higher taxes on it, but still end up with a few million dollars in your pocket.  Invest *that* correctly and without any further time travel you can live very, very comfortably.  Geeze, Nick. I thought you were a genius!)

But I digress.

Favorite lines?  Errrr.... Whenever Kevin did his patented singing-riff on Achy Breaky Heart.

Offline Raccoon Cohabitator

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 2
  • Adventure!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
Absolutely any lines spoken by the crooked deputy were my favorite

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 129
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »
It is REALLY obvious that it's filmed in the same city as Time Chasers. So much so that I went back to my MST3K collection to check that out. Poor Rutland, Vermont. Does this particular film production company only make films they can make in their own back yard?

Agree with Trekker. Some more Time Chasers gags would've been very appropriate.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:09:51 AM by MerryWanna »
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
Well that got pretty far afield from talking about this movie, and a lot about Time Chasers.

My favorites were the running jokes.  I never got tired of jokes about that one goon's fondness for that Japanese beer, I forget already what it was called.  The character didn't even express an interest in it; they just manufactured that trait because of the shirt he was wearing in his first scene.

I also loved when the movie characters said "Roland isn't going to kill anyone.", followed by the guys retorting that he already publicly threatened and attempted to kill Jack in front of a large crowd.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.