Author Topic: 100 Million iPods Sold  (Read 5399 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: 100 Million iPods Sold
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
My ripping software is pretty crappy, that's probly my problem with the burning to CD.  It's no big.

This is how pathetic the DRM is: you can burn and rip the whole thing in iTunes. Just burn the Protected AAC tracks to music CD, and then use iTunes to rip the tracks off the newly-created music CD. It's that friggin' easy!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
And while it's only a start, EMI is allowing music sales without DRM.

But it's a good start, and with Steve JobsTM having come out so strongly against DRM (remember: it's only on iTunes because the record labels demanded it), I think it's the first of what will be many dominoes.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 53
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 12:41:16 PM »
DRM (remember: it's only on iTunes because the record labels demanded it)

Something tells me that Jobs didn't fight the "label-imposed" DRM very hard.  It did, after all, lock iTunes store purchases to Apple devices.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »

Something tells me that Jobs didn't fight the "label-imposed" DRM very hard.  It did, after all, lock iTunes store purchases to Apple devices.

S'truth for sooth...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »

Maybe, but it also creates brand resistance, and foments consumer resentment.

Have a read:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 53
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 03:42:39 PM »

Maybe, but it also creates brand resistance, and foments consumer resentment.

...for geeks.  For most iPod buyers over the last few years, I doubt it has made much difference in either choice of player or subsequent brand loyalty.

That said, I do believe that more average consumers are becoming wise to the ways of DRM, and are starting to become vocal in their opposition to it.  That, and not some deeply-felt support of fair use rights, is likely behind the Jobs commentary you linked to.  At this point, the iPod and the iTunes store have such huge leads in market share that the benefits of lock-in are no longer so critical to the business model.

In fact -- and this is pure speculation, since I haven't gone over any sales figures -- if the music player market is getting close to the saturation point, it's possible that selling music for competing players is now more profitable long-term than selling players.

It's a sound strategy, and I don't begrudge Apple and Jobs their right to do what's in the best interests of their shareholders.  But I wouldn't tag Jobs as any sort of proponent for consumer rights, since he and his company staunchly supported and furthered the implementation of DRM for as long as it suited them.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
So, Apple has over a million iPods. And how many Zunes has Microsoft sold? Zero? :D

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »
Yeah, I know the DRM can be circumvented (even if it is a huge hassle when you're dealing in any kind of bulk), but  I also mean the fact that you can't dump songs off of your iPod straight onto someone else's computer.

And I don't think I get how iTunes could be better with an iPod. It's frighteningly bad at organizational structure and library browsing (at least if you have more than a 100 or so albums - I have well over 3500), has limited lookup features for tagging or sleeve image finding, requires art to be embedded in each MP3 to display rather than reading from a library or single jpg in the album folder, often doesn't read completely valid ID3 tags on import, enforces a naming convention of files and structure rather than letting you choose, has no facility for multiple libraries, eats processor cycles like mad and so on... I don't see how getting an iPod solves any of that.

Album Player and/or Media Jukebox have it beat in every aspect you care to think of except maybe Party Mode, which is nice-ish.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 11:51:06 PM »
ill never ever buy another ipod ever again.  Im still to pissed at them.  I had a player of theirs, and the first few months was all ok.  it was beautiful.  but then slowly over time the battery life began to get shorter and shorter, until eventually it was essentially broken and got no power at all.  (conviently for apple literally right after the warranty died).  The customer service i received in trying to find out if it was fixable was so terrible i was basically disgusted with the whole company.  Ps apple never did fix my ipod.

So now i have a 1 gig samsung with a rechargable battery that works with windows media player.  life is good. 

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 02:10:46 AM »
I imagine the iphone will have a rechargeable battery ... Only 1 gig Sarcasm? why not just use a $10 portable CD player?

• Compsognathus
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 02:48:32 AM »
seriously who can listen to a gig straight through?  i only use it for working out.  and occasionally long flights.  if im at home i use my stereo or laptop. 

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 02:54:32 AM »
^^^ skirts the question ;)  Seriously though I agree, I dont really have a use for an iPod either. I guess I'm a bit old school like that. If I'm in my car, I'll just play a CD. If on the rare occasion that I need  'straight through' entertainment a CD player or laptop will surfice. Obviously at home I can use my computer to listen to music (I use itunes, don't really understand the hate... most albums I download (for free) have tags, but regardless album covers aren't that important anyway ... makes me feel guilty for stealing it  :D)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:02:42 AM by Minnesota »

• Compsognathus
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 03:01:02 AM »
to answer the question properly,  because cd players are big usually dont have recharable batteries, and since i usually run with it on cds arent that great (they skip too easily)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2192
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »
Up until my birthday, I got to deal with a whopping 110 Meg MP3 Player I won at work. It's VERY nice to have 2 gigs on me now. I don't have to listen to everything I have stored on it 3 times a day. I'm going on my second 8 hour work day in a row and haven't had to repeat any music yet. :^)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »
So, Apple has over a million iPods. And how many Zunes has Microsoft sold? Zero? :D

I know somebody who has one. I've never seen anyone look so forlorn. BTW, Penny Arcade did a couple strips on that subject.

Unfortunately, when Apple lowered the price on iPods last year, many of the other manufacturers (yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Creative) raised their prices to match, thus taking away their own price advantage (my number-one complaint about the iPod used to be how much more expensive it was than other comparable players).

- Conan O'Brien