Author Topic: Daredevil (Netflix series)  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
Re: Daredevil (Netflix series)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
Its not Film Noir, more like a guy taking on organized crime.  Daredevil is one of the more believable characters in the MCU.   In the comic, Daredevil actually has quite a bit of powers though.  Pretty decent fight choreography, a lot of down and dirty punching and kicking.  I like to think of cinematic fights as conversations, Daredevil uses some stylized moves as his exclamation points.  The show gets pretty damn brutal at times too. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1380
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »
Yeah, who cares? It just made it look like a real website.

Yeah, I never notice that shit and when other people point it out it confuses me because blank or fake brand stuff would be super jarring
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 10:09:27 PM »
I liked the show very much. But I kept looking over at Linda at many points in the show and saying, "I'm Batman..." I mean, I think they took too long for him to get his name and real costume. Throughout the series, he was known only as "The Man in Black" or "The Devil of Hell's Kitchen" and he used ALOT of Batman tricks and fighting techniques.

And, fully 80% of the show consisted of him torturing guys for info, "WHO ARE YOU!?!?!" and "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR??!!" that got a little old in the beginning. I mean, Batman will dangle a guy off of a roof, but he draws a line at sticking a knife in a dude's eye... you know?

But the acting and overall writing was very engaging. I like dark stories and that worked for me. Most of all, it was 536% better than "The Daredevil" movie with Afleck and his baby-momma.

My math is off, as usual... it was actually 536 to a factor of 10 times better than that movie...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline TravisW29

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
I thought the woman who played Karen Page looked really familiar, but her IMDB page didn't have anything I've seen. Then I realized she looks like (only in the face) Lisa from Time Chasers. Like I said, just in the facial region.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
She played a pivotal role in "Tru Blood" on HBO. She was a red-head, but I think blonde is her natural colour. She looks better as a blonde.

Yeah, man, she was Jessica on "Tru-Blood", that's the only other thing I ever saw her in.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »
Frank Castle confirmed for season 2! 

Man... if you thought the last season was dark at times, I can only imagine throwing the Punisher in the mix!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »
Interesting.  Hope its done right.  I could get behind a Punisher show if things go well.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
I thought the woman who played Karen Page looked really familiar, but her IMDB page didn't have anything I've seen. Then I realized she looks like (only in the face) Lisa from Time Chasers. Like I said, just in the facial region.

Well, she's been in the crowd at several of the Rifftrax Live events. And IIRC, at the live event (Anaconda?) where they were showing photos of the Rifftrax Kickstarter backers, she and her husband were among those shown.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 76
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »
Just finished binge watching this series over the weekend. It's honestly better than any superhero TV show has a right to be. It's just damn good television. So much of which looks like a comic page come to life. The fight choreography is insane. They really nailed the action throughout. The direction is superb and there was some really inventive camera work and editing during some of the fight scenes. The casting is excellent and there are some fantastic performances. Vincent D'Onofrio steals every scene he's in and he is completely transformed as Wilson Fisk on screen. The costume reveal and final fight scene were epic. I really can not wait to watch season 2!
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 823
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 06:03:09 PM »

Well, she's been in the crowd at several of the Rifftrax Live events. And IIRC, at the live event (Anaconda?) where they were showing photos of the Rifftrax Kickstarter backers, she and her husband were among those shown.

That is pretty cool that she is such a fan.  This is from a 2011 article:

Deborah Ann Woll
Geek Cred: True Blood
Comic-Con panel: True Blood,Friday, July 22, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Ballroom 20

THR: What panel would you stand in line all day for?
Woll: RiffTrax with Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett. I own so many movies that I'm ashamed I own specifically because I have a RiffTrax that goes with them. They always do a panel with a live RiffTrax. Last year, we had our True Blood panel and the RiffTrax panel was right afterward. I dashed offstage, went backstage and changed into my Hit-Girl outfit, stuffed my designer dress in a duffle bag and ran to their panel.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 76
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »
Any word from Marvel or Netflix on a DVD / Blu-ray release of season 1?
I would really love to rewatch this with commentary.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
Any word from Marvel or Netflix on a DVD / Blu-ray release of season 1?
I would really love to rewatch this with commentary.

No, and I've been wondering what the plan was with that. I wonder if they have some kind of deal with Netflix to delay the release?
FINE

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 823
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »
It is hard to guess what goes into their DVD release schedules..  House of Cards seems to come out on DVD within a couple months of the streaming release, but Orange is the New Black is a year after it airs (usually a couple weeks before the new season). 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »
Arise, ye necro thread!

Season 2 release date announced: March 18th.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5867
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
I watched season 1 on my Christmas break and I loved it.  I'm actually pretty impressed that they are doing such a high production show within a year of the first one.  I'm not the biggest fan of Vincent D'Onofrio (mostly because of his work on SVU, which is pretty ridiculous, though the writing didn't help) but he killed it as Wilson Fisk.  Can't wait to see where they go with season two (though I probably won't watch it until I come back from China).