login

Author Topic: Can anyone answer a question about the Norman short?  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Choc113

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
Can anyone answer a question about the Norman short?
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »
Can anyone answer a question about the Norman short? What on earth was it supposed to be about?
 It was the most baffling short film I have ever seen. You can see the point of the educational shorts (we got some government funding and damn if we are not going to use it) even if we do a God awful job of it like the cylinders one, and the point of the thinly disguised advert ones like one made by the car company were the kids are eating a truck load of fruit every day and pooping every five minutes.
But the Norman one seemed to have no plot or purpose.Who would make it and why?     

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2975
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Can anyone answer a question about the Norman short?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
Can anyone answer a question about the Norman short? What on earth was it supposed to be about?
To prepare you for life's suckyness I think..

Maybe this is how MacGyver got started :P

Offline Choc113

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Been googling trying to answer my own question and found that there are at two more Norman shorts one where he gives a speech
http://www.phoenixlearninggroup.com/Products/VideoDetail.aspx?id=4bf842aa-ca01-472f-91da-27128bd5343f&cat=&sub=

and one where we get to watch him go to the bathroom!

http://www.phoenixlearninggroup.com/Products/VideoDetail.aspx?id=2427a0a3-9bad-4292-aa8e-620cfafeb2e4&cat=&sub=

God alone knows why anyone would want to do that not still:((

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
 It was the most baffling short film I have ever seen. You can see the point of the educational shorts (we got some government funding and damn if we are not going to use it) even if we do a God awful job of it like the cylinders one, and the point of the thinly disguised advert ones like one made by the car company were the kids are eating a truck load of fruit every day and pooping every five minutes.
But the Norman one seemed to have no plot or purpose.Who would make it and why?   

Back in the 80s between movies stations like HBO and Showtime would show "short films" meant to entertain or whatever. They had no real "purpose" or anything other than just to be some filler between movies. (to give the films meaningful start-times for VCR programming and shuch.  The 80s were weird. ;))   So that's it. It had no real "point" other than to entertain.  I think Norman was "supposed to be" a American take on Mr. Bean... maybe?  But it wasn't meant to be an educational, informational or propaganda short just a "humorous" little story to watch before Red Heat came on.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2301
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »
There's also at least one Norman short you didn't list, where he checks into a horrible hotel room and takes a disturbing shower.  It was on the Birdemic Live Show.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4969
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »

and one where we get to watch him go to the bathroom!
God alone knows why anyone would want to do that not still:((
That was one of the shorts they riffed as prizes to the donators for the Kickstarter. The riffing was okay, but the short was horrifying!

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:08 PM »
Back in the 80s between movies stations like HBO and Showtime would show "short films" meant to entertain or whatever. They had no real "purpose" or anything other than just to be some filler between movies. (to give the films meaningful start-times for VCR programming and shuch.  The 80s were weird. ;))   So that's it. It had no real "point" other than to entertain.  I think Norman was "supposed to be" a American take on Mr. Bean... maybe?  But it wasn't meant to be an educational, informational or propaganda short just a "humorous" little story to watch before Red Heat came on.

The copy of Norman Checks In on YouTube is taken from one of these showings. And to get technical about it, they're Canadian-made.

Apparently there will be another Norman short before NOTLD, per the RT Facebook page.

I just found the Norman Kickstarter short unriffed on YT. Frightening.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »
I wonder if the guy who played Norman was in a real movie or TV show?

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:08 AM »

I think his name was Douglas MacIntosh.  Quick! To the Google Machine!

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 192
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »

I think his name was Douglas MacIntosh.  Quick! To the Google Machine!

The guy who played the senator in The Doll Squad had a serious Norman vibe going on. His name is John Carter, though.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2975
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »
This must be related to Norman in some fashion.. :P