login

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin...  (Read 2753 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1173
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin...
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »
I know there are some Dark Souls fans on this forum. I loved DS1, but I've barely played DS2. I kept telling myself that I'd get around to it if and when they released a "definitive" version of the game that included everything. Much like "Prepare to Die" was for DS1.

I know that a lot of people felt that DS2 just wasn't as good as its predecessor. Does Scholar of the First Sin bring it back up to DS1 standards? Or at the very least, is it good enough to be worth spending $50 on. I'll certainly get it if the price ever drops to $30 or less. BTW, I guess I should add that I'd be playing the PC version.

Any thoughts on DS2, and/or on SotFS in particular?

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
Re: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »
Dark Souls II is great.  With the DLC included it's every bit Dark Souls 1's equal.  Better in some ways, worse in others, but equal overall.  The combat in 2 is so good that I'm finding it impossible to go back and enjoy 1, in fact, which seems impossible to me.

Almost all Dark Souls 2 complaints I've heard have simply been people parroting things they've heard from others.  What most of the complaining boils down to, imo, is that some of the EXTREMELY vocal Souls PvP community refused to adapt to the Soul Memory system, so they tear the game up at every opportunity. 

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:35:29 AM »
Dark Souls II is great.  With the DLC included it's every bit Dark Souls 1's equal.  Better in some ways, worse in others, but equal overall.  The combat in 2 is so good that I'm finding it impossible to go back and enjoy 1, in fact, which seems impossible to me.

Almost all Dark Souls 2 complaints I've heard have simply been people parroting things they've heard from others.  What most of the complaining boils down to, imo, is that some of the EXTREMELY vocal Souls PvP community refused to adapt to the Soul Memory system, so they tear the game up at every opportunity. 

There's also the weird complaint about grouping a bunch of enemies in one area.  I say weird because DS1 did that shit ALL THE TIME. 

My biggest complaint about DS2 is that the world design isn't any where near as awesome as the first game.  Though, to be fair, DS1's world design kind of falls off a cliff after the Lord Vessel.  DS2 never hits the highs of Anor Londo or Sen's Fortress, but it also never even comes close to the lows of something like Lost Izalith.  Overall, I agree with you, the two are close to equal in my mind.

Offline CJones

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »
Well, I broke down and got the game. Now I just have to unlearn months of playing Shadow of Mordor. I keep trying to parry with the Y button.

Is it just me or do weapons wear down and break a lot faster in this than they did in DS1? I ended up breaking all my weapons (I totally forgot durability was restored at bonfires) and had to fist fight my way to get the key for the blacksmith.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:48:12 AM »
Weapons break faster in general since they auto repair at bonfires, but there was also an issue where weapons break faster at 60fps since durability was tied to how many frames the weapon was in contact with something. No idea if they fixed that for scholar of the first sin, but I kind of doubt it.

Offline CJones

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »
That sounds entirely plausible. I would clear an area of 5 or 6 enemies and be down 15-20 durability. I think having to fight in narrow corridors where your weapons strike walls a lot plays a role as well.

I will say this much, I have the exact same setup I had when I tried out DS2 initially, and the updated version does look better and run smoother. It's nice to see my GTX 660 can still cut the mustard. I wish more games were built specifically for 64 bit and DX11.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »
...I wish more games were built specifically for 64 bit and DX11 DX12.

Fixed it for you. :)

Offline CJones

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »
Weapons break faster in general since they auto repair at bonfires, but there was also an issue where weapons break faster at 60fps since durability was tied to how many frames the weapon was in contact with something. No idea if they fixed that for scholar of the first sin, but I kind of doubt it.

I did some looking into this and found out that, yes, this was the case in DS2. However for DS2:SotFS,  they "fixed" this by making durability run down at the rate it would have run down in DS2 at 60 FPS, no matter what your actual FPS is. So in SotFS, weapon durability gets used up pretty damn fast no matter what. But at least it's the same for everyone now.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:47 PM »
Ready to begin SotFS in earnest after running out of gas in Bloodborne.  I'm about halfway through my first playthrough and so far so good.  Except for the deaths, but that's to be expected.  Game looks amazing on the new gen, and with the new enemy placements it feels pretty fresh.  I'm getting used to the heaviness of the game again after playing the much faster, lighter Bloodborne for the last couple months.
First playthrough is a simple sword-and-board using a Broadsword and the Alva armor.  And man, it's so great seeing all the different weapons again.  I don't know what they were thinking when they only put 15 weapons in Bloodborne. 

Offline CJones

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »
First playthrough is a simple sword-and-board using a Broadsword and the Alva armor.  And man, it's so great seeing all the different weapons again.  I don't know what they were thinking when they only put 15 weapons in Bloodborne. 

I know, really. Now, if you'll excuse me, I finally got my gaming computer working again and I have to get back to using the same Mace I'd been using the previous 40 hours  :P

EDIT: Wait, this game doesn't support Steam Cloud saves?  :grr: That's 45 hours down the drain  :grr:

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »
Decided to make a new character to see if I could manage a 'no death/no bonfire' run in NG.  Iron Keep kicked my ass. 
So then I decided to make NG just a 'no bonfire' run.  I ran all the way back from Majula (through Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak), and Iron Keep kicked my ass again. 
Did that about 5 more times and finally said **** it!  I'll do the no death/bonfire thing in NG+, like a normal person. 
Lost about 85,000 souls, btw, which is a lot for a level 30 character to lose.