login

Author Topic: Deadpool: The Merc with a Movie  (Read 17629 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1223
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: Deadpool: The Merc with a Movie
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:21 AM »
Rated PG13 or over 2 hours, pick one
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:36:14 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2658
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
I'm not super hung-up on the rating. If the story they have in mind needs to be R-Rated to properly pull it off, then bring on the R-Rated Deadpool, but Marvel's told many, many fantastic PG-13 Deadpool stories over the years. It wouldn't ruin the movie quite as badly as some fans believe.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
I'm not super hung-up on the rating. If the story they have in mind needs to be R-Rated to properly pull it off, then bring on the R-Rated Deadpool, but Marvel's told many, many fantastic PG-13 Deadpool stories over the years. It wouldn't ruin the movie quite as badly as some fans believe.

Agree, although I like that they might be happy to take that chance

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
Considering how successful Kingsman is, I'd say they can take the chance on this one. And that didn't even have the built in fanbase and connection ot the Marvel Universe movies this does.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3878
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tUEkqZxLyrg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tUEkqZxLyrg</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 969
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »
So, Make-a-Wish was contacted by a kid named Tony Avevedo who's suffering from Hodgkin's Disease. He's a big Deadpool fan, because what 8 year old kid isn't a big fan of Deadpool?

Anyway, MaW got a hold of Ryan Reynolds arranged a meeting.

I'd go "aww" but I've read more about the kid and I'm just bummed out now.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1496
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 10:11:56 AM »
The movie twitter account is following one other account: Hello Kitty!

:clap:

That's great

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »
I wonder if Rob Liefeld will have a cameo?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6630
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:23 AM »
I wonder if Rob Liefeld will have a cameo?

… wearing one of these:

dF = 0
d*F = J

soguru

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 10:27:59 PM »
It wouldn't be a Rob Leifeld cameo without huge Shoulder pads!!!

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
A teaser sample:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L5GSIj1Ylow" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L5GSIj1Ylow</a>

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »
Found this on Tumblr.  Any thoughts?
    This is another observation of large-company marketing failures, so skip this if it’s boring to you.

One would think that the point of marketing is to maximize potential audience. This is, apparently, not the case once you get into the millions of dollars range. Most companies embroiled in mass marketing SPECIFICALLY hate it when their products burst their expected bounds, almost as much as when their marketing fails to meet expectations.

This is why, recently, when the Deadpool trailer was leaked from SDCC, Fox absolutely hated the fact that people were willingly swallowing up their advertising. While some other companies decided to bite the bullet and capitalize on the hype, Fox was absolutely unwilling to deviate from their marketing plan.

Why? Well, Deadpool is going to be an R-rated superhero movie, of which there have only been a few and they were all for niche audiences. This was anticipated; it was budgeted exactly for the kind of niche audience that those other movies would garner, and the marketing track was to follow suit.

But the reason that “better than expected” is undesirable for Fox is because they don’t want one property to dominate all their others. Fox engages in a form of aggregate marketing–they expect to maximize their audience over all their products, and the way to do so with “predictable” results is to make sure their selected demographics fit exactly as expected. In other words, their marketing philosophy believes they’re in continual competition with themselves, that a fluctuation in these demographic cells is an outcome that cannot be accounted for, and takes potential attention away from their OTHER products which have larger demographic pools and therefore a larger marketing budget.

You might also recognize this as the same philosophy that causes the Fox network to cancel or kill TV shows that literally get too popular, especially among their products that are suppose to be niche-only.

This isn’t limited to Fox of course, this is also why there has been a huge upswing in gender branding for other products. Products MUST fit the expected demographic boxes or else marketing cannot account for them.

Why big company marketing machine makes THESE expectations rather than running with surprise successes whenever they appear, I cannot say. I’m sure it has to do with economic models that only people in fancy suits can explain, because they have millions of dollars and I do not.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6630
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
and the americans never landed on the moon neither! :angry:
dF = 0
d*F = J

soguru

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to the trailer... hopefully it'll show during the trailers for Ant-Man, but I'm pretty sure it'll premiere along with Fantastic Four.